+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, linking switches in Technical; Hi Everyone Just wanting to ask on here try and clear it in my own head at the moment. We ...
    Thank Post

linking switches

Hi Everyone

Just wanting to ask on here try and clear it in my own head at the moment.

We have a number of network cabnets which are all linked together through fibre links the switches which we use at the moment are 3com 4400. The Main server is linked to the 3com switch by cat 5e but as far as i can tell its only getting 100mb connection were as i have just bought hp procurve 2450 switches and i can connect the server to this and get 1000mb connection.

What i was wanting to know was if i was to connect the server to the procurve switch using port 26 connecting the server at 1000mb and then link to a 3com switch using port 25 the connection between the two switches only seems to be getting 100mb will this still cause a bottle neck because of this connection?

I should see an improvement in speed for connections hopefully for all computers connected to the procurve switch but will there be no difference for the other computers because they are only getting a 100mb connection?

hope i have made some sense in what i am asking i really am hoping for an improvement on all computers connected but in order for me to really see the improvement would i need to replace all the switches to really see any difference?

Thank Post
    The fibre switch is a 3com 4900sx switch and this connects the four other cabinets up to the main cabinet. After doing a walk around the cabinets their I seen that in each of the four cabinets the main switch in each cabinet is linked with a fibre connection which is an add-on module for the 4400 switch. Any connecting switch is linked by a separate cascade module which i am not sure what speed this would give.

If i was to add the HP 2450 switch with the server connected at 1000mb and connect this switch to one of the 3com switches with a cat 5e cable would the rest of the network even notice a difference or would it just be the computers connected to the hp 2450 switch that would really have a difference?

I am just thinking that on the HP 2450 there is an expansion for mini-GBIC module so if i connected the 2450 switch to the Main 3com 4900sx switch through the GBIC module then should all computers not notice a difference or better still I shouldn’t have as big a bottle neck?

Anyone able to just clarify this with me (settle my mind)

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Aaron; 11th August 2010 at 03:39 PM.

Thank Post
    if you uplink the switches all of your clients will see 100MB as thats what there connection will be, the server will be quicker through 1000MB but only on the switch on which it is connected.

if the clients plugged into the 3com is 100MB on Cat 5 chances are thats all you;ll get to the server because 100mb wont become 1000mb over one link, i would just replace the 3com with the procurve and have everthing running on the same model/speed switch.

4. Thanks to cpjitservices from:

Aaron (12th August 2010)

Thank Post
    Thank you I just put the hp procurve switches in today removed the old 3coms and put 3 new procurves in and linked this together. The 3 switches are connected together at 1000mb stable connection server as well is connected all I need to do now is purchase the mini-gbic module so I can link one of the procurve switches to the fibre links for the other cabinets and then begin replacing the other switches with the new procurve ones over the year.

Thank you for replying you confirmed what I was thinking thank you

Thank Post
    no problem glad to be useful lol - I could do with a 3com switch myself as mine just popped. Procurves are good switches - enjoy.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread