+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Talk to a 192.168 address from a 10.0 address in Technical; Many years ago I setup the school network on a single range [ only one server and a handful of ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

Talk to a 192.168 address from a 10.0 address

Many years ago I setup the school network on a single range [ only one server and a handful of PCs and printers ] - over the last 6 years it's exploded and now I am sorting out the iscsi san......my question:

Server has two IP addresses - one on a 10.0.0. subet, the other on a 192,168.0 subnet. The 192.168 is on a switch that goes to the iscsi san. The 10.0.0 goes to our main backbone switch. Both are managed switches. What I want to know is can a hook up both switches together so I can say talk to the iscsi [ 192 address ] from a 10.0.0. address ?
    The reason being is that the san has a management port and you have to be plugged into the 192.168 switch to talk to it and configure it etc.
    I am hoping you can configure a port on each switch so you can route the traffic - is this possible ? [ I think it must be using a VlAN ] but just need clarification before I go and start reading up on actually doing it....... So really it's a yes or no answer I want !!

Thank Post
    we do this but using vmware, so on vmware we have the 2 networks san network and curriculum network. they link to the vm and the vm's havce 2 nics one for iscsi traffice and the other curriculum. the server then can make use of the iscsi targets for storage.

3. Thanks to ful56_uk from:

mattx (30th July 2010)

Thank Post
    You will need a router or a layer 3 capable switch.

5. Thanks to ChrisH from:

mattx (30th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ful56_uk View Post
    we do this but using vmware, so on vmware we have the 2 networks san network and curriculum network. they link to the vm and the vm's havce 2 nics one for iscsi traffice and the other curriculum. the server then can make use of the iscsi targets for storage.
    Thanks - well I had better get swotting on this then - god what a bore. I have to migrate all the data over first and concentrate on setting up bonus of talking via a 10.0.0 address later....

Thank Post
    A few options:
    1. On most SANS you can configure the management interface to run on a different IP range to the range you are using for the storage connections, in which case plug the management port into your main switch rather than your SAN switch.
    2. Set up a route to that ip range on whatever is your default gateway on both ip ranges.
    3. Set up a VLAN running back to the PC you want to admin the SAN from and add a extra network card and set it in the ip range of the SAN.

8. Thanks to teejay from:

mattx (30th July 2010)

Thank Post
    sorry for to add our management server has 2 nics so it can see the hitachi sans and manage them. Never tried it on a single nic with 2 ip's

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Thanks - well I had better get swotting on this then - god what a bore. I have to migrate all the data over first and concentrate on setting up bonus of talking via a 10.0.0 address later....
    cant you drop another nic on to the server you are working on? and attach that to the san network, best of both then

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ful56_uk View Post
    cant you drop another nic on to the server you are working on? and attach that to the san network, best of both then
    Thats how its setup at the moment - two nics, one on the 10.0.0 and the other on the 192.168.

Thank Post
    sorry i miss read the post it sounded like you had 2 ips on one nic, my bad

well that will work, our file server has one nic for curriclum traffic, one for san network swtich 1 and one for san network switch 2 and that server makes use of a 1tb lun for user data.

Thank Post
    Ok this is what we have if it makes sense: 2 nics into server one for the standard network trafic one for the SAN the san is configured using its own switches so we are using 172.16.*.* range for the SAN and a standard 10.128.*.* for the network. you should be able to ping the SAN addy, we then use ISCSI initiator to then bind the drives to the server ( File shares on iSCSI devices may not be re-created when you restart the computer ) this is then shown up into disk manager and you can extend the drive partions just you would see a normal drive. although we are having problems when you restart the server as its dropping the connections but still working on this. i would say the same as Ful56_uk. ours primarily works on the basis of having its own switch going to the san and as its on its own ip addy the security is obviously enhanced. dont know if this helps as it read like im repaeting FUL but it might be the way to connect

Thank Post
    Is the server that has 2 NICS using the Windows OS variety? If so, I'm sure you can quite easily (as in 30 seconds of work) configure a router within it to allow the two subnets to talk.

Sorry if I've got the wrong end of the stick though.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread