+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Microsoft or Cisco certification?????? in Technical; True, the problem is a lot of job applications have Microsoft certification as a requirement, so you don't get past ...

Thank Post
    True, the problem is a lot of job applications have Microsoft certification as a requirement, so you don't get past the tick box HR droids without it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    True, the problem is a lot of job applications have Microsoft certification as a requirement, so you don't get past the tick box HR droids without it.

Yep as I stated above any large company will sift on requirements like that, if you want a shot at those jobs you need the paper. As far as the company is concerned if you've gone to the effort of getting the qualification off your own back then if shows you're interested in self improvement and progression, that's a major interview concern already answered and all the can't be bothereds sifted. Simple...or so I've been told by more than one member of HR staff.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    I agree with the above you need practical experience, as already stated schools are a great place to start as you'll get a crack at everything.
    I would say though from experience if you're applying for jobs in larger companies NOT having certs can mean that you miss out in the paper sift, I've been told on many occasions that if HR are shortlisting and they've been told MCSA/Cisco etc and you don't have it they'll put you in the bin without reading on. I'll be honest I've had more luck getting interviews sice having an MCSA, before that my 9 years practical networking skills on a range of systems didn't seem to get me a look in. Getting a couple of MCP exams desktop etc really isn't difficult, I'd aim for a low level job for experience then get a couple of them under your belt.

Thanks for your reply regarding practical experience. What about Bootcamps? Are they helpful in getting knowledge,certificate and hands on experience???

Thank Post
    I have heard of these bootcamps and they are expensive, maybe a couple of thousand for a week intensive. If you have that amount of time to spare just do it yourself with the MS press book and maybe some extra exam tests from any of the main companies that do them. But without a fair bit of knowledge on any of these subjects it would be difficult even doing it the bootcamp way. If you don't have any real hands on experience get a fair specced PC and install some virtual software, Create a network and then tinker with it until you know it inside out.

Thank Post
    They are, but you have to pay a fortune for it and its an unnatural knowledge. Your better off learning using books and training vids and getting real life experience at the same time. It will mean for the next 3-5 years your learning on the hoof but your knowledge will be complete and you'll be considered far more valuable than the experienced or trained guys.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by keira View Post
    Thanks for your reply regarding practical experience. What about Bootcamps? Are they helpful in getting knowledge,certificate and hands on experience???
    It depends on how you learn - if you've got the experience and just need something to bring it all together then they can be invaluable, though they are very high pressure (the good ones anyway - usually about 12-14 hours study a day with breaks only for food over a week or two). If that suits your learning style, they're worth doing. If it doesn't then you're better off self-teaching or going with evening classes.

Thank Post
    experience first, right, we all agreed, but that is not enough. To stand out you need to also have a minimun number of qualification, a least a MCP or something related to the field you want to progress to. Get a decent hardware, install VMWare and get your virtual network in house, do it and re-do it again.
    In my humble opinion experience and qualifications are not rivals, they are like bread and butter!
    Go luck and try for part time jobs in schools during, we are normally busy during this time, aren't we???

Thank Post
    Bootcamps are expensive, but they are probably the easiest way to pass (without cheating). Someone should spoon feed you all the info you need and answer any questions so in 1 week you are an 'expert'.

Whether you can then apply that on the job is another matter though.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    Bootcamps are expensive, but they are probably the easiest way to pass (without cheating). Someone should spoon feed you all the info you need and answer any questions so in 1 week you are an 'expert'.

Whether you can then apply that on the job is another matter though.
    Hi,
    Few of my friends have attended some Boot Camp in Asia, probably India and according to them the quality of the training was good and it was completed in a short period of time and the price was okay. Moreover they also had the chance to explore the country. I am thinking of taking up one Boot camp. But am not sure where. Does anyone here have any idea of boot camps? Feedbacks are welcome

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by keira View Post
    Hi,
    Few of my friends have attended some Boot Camp in Asia, probably India and according to them the quality of the training was good and it was completed in a short period of time and the price was okay. Moreover they also had the chance to explore the country. I am thinking of taking up one Boot camp. But am not sure where. Does anyone here have any idea of boot camps? Feedbacks are welcome
    I always recommend the same training company to anyone who asks me - Firebrand do some exceptional residentials courses and are well worth a look. I've done several of them to date.

To be honest, if you have the chance to explore the country then the boot camp probably isn't intense enough. I wouldn't recommend going for your cert in India.

Thank Post
    I have attended MCITP Enterprise Admin on windows Server 2008 in Goa,India and I can say it was quite intense.I have had 5 years working experience using primarily Windows 2003 on our network but with no certifications it is quite hard to progress or get new jobs these days in my country. Almost all our new servers running MS OS's are on 2008 that's why I decided to do a certification on it and boost my CV. If you work on your own and you know your stuff I might say dont bother getting certified but if you work for someone and plan on climbing the ladder I would say go ahead and get certified but remember the key thing is to learn.

I did not really have time to tour the country as I only went out twice during the two weeks and I only saw the beach on the last day after my exam! I enjoyed the experience so I plan on going back next year and probably spending a week or a few days after the training so I can explore. The training has proven valuable since I got back and i encourage guys to set up labs using virtual machines at home so they can practice.

The institution I attended is called Koenig Solutions, they handle everything from visa assistance,pickups from the airport to accommodation issues.

Thank Post

Certification with Koenig Solutions

Hi Idris, Thanks for your prompt reply. I just read the following on Prometric's website :

If this is true I will not be able to take Microsoft exams in India. Any suggestions ?

Thank Post
    Hi Keira,

Did u post a link above?its not showing so i could read what you saw on the prometric website

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,023 Times in 1,470 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Koenig Solutions is a shame company. Several people I know went with them to try to get the qualifications, ended up having money taken from them and getting nothing in return apart from credit card bills.

Some people MAY have done well with them, but out of the people I know that went with them, they got fleeced.

Thank Post
    @ nephilim
    As you said some people you know,went and did not get the qualifications.I will not dispute that fact but while I was there,I met the following who all made it

two Omanisne did ccna security the other MS asp.net
    two dutch guys:both did ms dynamics
    two americansne was doin a whole lot of stuff;mcitp server admin,sql,etc and I know he passed all his exams some with flying colors like making 98% on an exam,the other was taking it slow cos he was a newbie doin sql but he passed an exam while i was there

so from my experience, I have not met someone who went to koenig and failed.my former boss was there in 2007 for mcse,security +,exchange 2007 and she passed all.A fellow colleague is there right now and he is on a regular track cos he is not really experienced.

I was on a super fast track cos of my experience and i am a fast learner but I would not advice someone to get on that unless you are absolutely sure you know the subject matter.

i will say it again training at koenig is value for money,just log on to thier website,read the testimonials and see the awards they have gotten from the IT community and Microsoft.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast