+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Vlans - Port based in Technical; Just getting my head round Vlans as I have been buying GSM7224 switches to upgrade my network. I have a ...

Thank Post

Vlans - Port based

Just getting my head round Vlans as I have been buying GSM7224 switches to upgrade my network.

I have a fibre switch that just repeats the fibre from one building to another... bypassing the switches I just bought.

I want to use a couple of fibre modules in the new switch and use that as a repeater... (getting rid of the old fibre switch). Can I set up a port based VLAN so the traffic just comes into the switch on say port 24 and goes out port 23 without seeing the other ports?

Its a bit complimacated is the interface... Port PVID config and Port DVLAN... I need to read up on it a little me thinks.

Thank Post
    Yes, with VLANS you can only have one untagged vlan per port, so what you do on uplinks is set the VLANS as tagged, which you can have as many as the switch supports. If these VLANS aren't set as tagged/untagged on any other port on the switch, then the other ports won't see it.
    Tagged/Untagged is the HP Procurve terminology, I'm not sure what the equivalent is on your switches.

Thank Post
    I best read up a bit more on them... just tried to tag one of the ports and lost communication with the switch.. there was nothing plugged into the port either so I messed up somewhere.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread