+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Network Interface Card "challenge" in Technical; Installed new NIC onto Win7 desktop PC. Plugged in - no connection, this interface card cannot start. Took out the ...
    Thank Post

Network Interface Card "challenge"

Installed new NIC onto Win7 desktop PC. Plugged in - no connection, this interface card cannot start. Took out the card tried in a different slot - same result. Tried another card - same result. Took PC to supplier, plugged in, switched on, card working absolutely fine!!

Brought it back, plugged it directly into the switch - led flashes on PC start up but no activity after OS load and log in. The switch is not gigabit (the NIC is) so plugged in one of my new switches, that talked to the network, gained IP address, can ping and everything. Plugged PC into gigabit switch - no connection.

Anybody got any ideas as to what is going on here?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bad or inpropperly wired cable from the PC to the Gig switch, Have had this before and had to force 100mbit/s due to terrible wireing.

Thank Post
    I thought that also, but have changed the cables over to ones that I know are "fit for purpose". Thanks for replying.

Thank Post
    Is it a managed switch? If it is, check the logs for any excessive broadcasts. We have this problem with a few boxes in our place, SCL ones. We believe the image we used to image the machines suffered some sort of corruption and this caused problems with the NIC. If we plugged the machines into an unmanaged switch then the NIC would work fine. The only solution we had was to rebuild the machine from scratch and create a new image.

5. Thanks to DAZZD88 from:

leco (16th July 2010)

Thank Post
    I've tried it in both managed and unmanaged. The puzzle really is why it works on the supplier's kit and not mine. I don't have an image yet, this was to be the master. Might have to do a wipe and re-install of OS with NIC in place instead.

Anyhow my idea, of fitting the NICs before I pack the machines out of the way of the builders, just ran out of time. Pack them away and think about it later. Thanks for the help though, might be back later in the summer for a follow up.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread