+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Getting HTTP traffic from a IP alias (i think) in Technical; Hi all Slight toughy here(but as its nearly 3am lol I'll possibly be more brief than clear lol) - well ...
    Thank Post

Getting HTTP traffic from a IP alias (i think)

Hi all

Slight toughy here(but as its nearly 3am lol I'll possibly be more brief than clear lol) - well for me its tough, tho i havent had the time to try it properly.

Previous to the change of network IP range setup i.e. before i installed the WG Firebox X500 , we had two IP ranges assigned on two ports on a Cisco router (i know no more on that as the county run that - its their baby so access to me to fiddle lol).

for example:
    port a - range (1) 192.168.20.x
    port b - range (2) 192.168.25.x

and those are distributed to the different rooms and switches - as the admin and the curriculum networks.

I had a specific IP address on range 1 (cur) which gave the computer configured with that address a different proxy filtering setup i.e. I could access more sites and so on that the rest of the IP addresses and ranges. An IT techie IP if you will.

Now, having attached the watchguard unit on port a of the cisco router, it now has the single IP addres assigned to its External port and we have two new private ranges internally all going through this firewall unit.

Of course, now I cant use that IP address so I'm trying to work out how to set up the watchguard configuration to give that external port a IP alias of that IP address that I had and somehow direct HTTP traffic from one of my private IP addresses.

With me so far? (sorry for lack of technical terms here)

Can anyone think of a way on how to route requests to that IP address and do you know - with the firewalls you have in place, not just watchguard specifically as it might give me a clue - whether thats all i need to do or is there more complex things I need to set up?

I'm tried configuring the Policy manger appropriately but it didnt seem to make any difference.

Any ideas on this would be helpful as I'm back to a very limited scope of internet again (and more annoyingly, I cant confer on msn or check out the edugeek site lol)

Many thanks in advance

Nath

Thank Post

Re: Getting HTTP traffic from a IP alias (i think)

Hi,

How about using port forwarding or NAT and mapping to specific IP address on the internal side.

Is the router or Firewall doing NAT?

Ash.

Thank Post

Howdy ash - and welcome to edugeek

[recommended that you put use pos and school/col/uni & location in your sig btw ]

Yep - I've tried it but it doesn't seem to do anything different i.e. keep getting the denied filtering message from the county proxy cache when accessing sites that i should have access to.

The problem is that it's the same proxy [port and name] - the rules are applied to you based on IP address but i dont seem to be using the IP alias i setup on the external port [thats conected to the county router].

Its setup doing NAT yes - I have internal ip ranges inside the firewall, and on the external interface, its got its IP address [as you'd expect lol] but I've added an alias - assuming that when specifying that IP in the firewall's rules from the machine I'm using, it would go to the proxy server from that alias - but maybe it doesnt work like that

Unfortunately I dont understand all the other options on the firewall like 1-to-1 NAT and dynamic NAT ,etc. so it's all a bit confusing lol

Any ideas?

Nath

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Welcome onboard Ash and now there is no turning back....

Thank Post

Thanks for the welcome guys,

I'll sort out the sig and other things right now.

Ash.

Thank Post

Nath,

Have you only got 1 public (external) ip to your firewall at present if this is the case the way your probably got it at the moment is dynamic NAT where basically and internal machines IP gets natted to the external one. 1 to 1 NAT refers to the situation where one internal IP is directly mapped to 1 external IP. ON some firewall you can do this also restrict it to only certain ports i.e. HTTP (80), HTTPS (443), FTP (21), DNS (53) etc.

Ashok.

Thank Post

thanks for the reply but managed to sort it out on friday

1-to-1 NAT was the answer

Simple as

Thanks for the input tho guys

Cheers
    Nath.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread