Poll: Do you run the cables and terminate them?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Should we/you run network cables? in Technical; also if go a for pay rise go for title role change to network manager as looks good on cv.. ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: [Urgent] Should we/you run network cables?

also if go a for pay rise go for title role change to network manager as looks good on cv..

Also contact lea payroll and if you lea use hayes pay scheme then ask for a copy of hayes pay decsriptions. if they use hayes will send you a copy of mine but better if have something from your own lea union people might be able to help you with this.

As then can say getting paid for this and this what i should be doing and this is what i am doing and then can argue for rise...

also remember if you do something out of your area or for example you do this cabling then say i will do it this once so they cant make you keep doing it.

russ

Thank Post

OK guys,

My best advice is not to do any electrical work. mounting of anything, fitting of anything etc. Just stick to your job you are there to do and let people come in and do their job. It's all guaranteed then as well, and you have someone else the SMT can blame.

It's not worth the hassle, honestly. One minor mistake and you can be in a world of pain. Plus you also set yourself a precedent and would be expected to do it every time after that.

The only work I will do is to move a network point that is in a room. I've done cabling for years before this job, but even doing that I'm loathe to do.

I know it's nice to do the jobs to help the school save money, but when do they ever thank you for it???? Majority of the time is never, I guess.

Just stay well clear.

Thank Post

I've completely created a couple of new computer suites here, and I'm quite well paid, so I didn't mind, then science wanted to be networked, I told them I was too busy to accomodate them, so they got some 6th formers to do the wireing, and what a dreadful job they did! So there you go, it you don't want to take on the job yourself.... get the 6th formers to do it!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries

Anything electrical should be done by qualified contractors. The only wiring I don is making my own cables. Anything else is handled by people I can shout at later if need be.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box
    Anything electrical should be done by qualified contractors. The only wiring I don is making my own cables. Anything else is handled by people I can shout at later if need be.
    Exactly!!

Thank Post

I wouldn't call cat5 "electrical" though. I wouldn't like to install power points, but network points have no electricity going through them (well, not enough to frazzle me!!)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StewartKnight
    I wouldn't call cat5 "electrical" though. I wouldn't like to install power points, but network points have no electricity going through them (well, not enough to frazzle me!!)
    If there is the faint possibility that you may use VoIP or Power over LAN then it is electrical.

That is a good rule of thumb to stick to and it means that anything other than a piece of string gets done by a contractor.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

you be surpised i rmeber hearing somewhere maybe a law as it still conttains electrical work cant do it at end of day cant do electrical work in your own home so i can imagine what rules leas have come up with..

russ

Thank Post

For this size of project I would get someone in, it would solve all sorts of problems, beside they should know about Building Regs, H&S, Cabling Stds etc.

I would get three quotes and possibliy go with the middle one.

If you are / have been tasked with the job get as much info / data together as possible. Of course you can use it all for ammo for not doing the task.

Begin with the Cicso site, they are world leaders in their field and they provide lots of free info.

You may also be able to get a free CCO logon to access even more stuff, you may have to be economical with the truth on some questions but it should be okay.

Try this link as a taster:

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/ne.../CableFAQ.html

Thank Post

We simply get a cable contractor to do all our cabling. Simply its not apart of mine or our network managers job description. Plus it would be hard to do a cable job when the kids are in and in your working hours.

Ross

metalmonkey

If you do stick to your guns and say no no no then make sure your team is with you all the way.

I had the same problem where I work - I manage 3 guys. When we were told to do UTP cabling I said no we were not doing it. Then one of the team later said (behind my back) that he'll do it. It make me look very small. Now he's offsite supporting primary schools, guess who ended up with the job.

Have to say i made the mistake of installing cabling at one of the schools I support.

I'm lucky in that the site is spread over one level and the building has flat roofs. So most cabling goes straight out of a room and onto the roof, then back into the server room.

I can see why schools would want their IT guys to run cabling, especially smaller Primaries. Cost of cable + outlets vs Cost of cable + outlets + Contractor.

But in a larger school i would say NO WAY

Thank Post

Wow!

Did expect such a hot topic response hehe

Just a few coments here...

@ict02phs:
    Welcome to the forum and thanks for the post

For this size of project I would get someone in, it would solve all sorts of problems, beside they should know about Building Regs, H&S, Cabling Stds etc.

I would get three quotes and possibliy go with the middle one.

If you are / have been tasked with the job get as much info / data together as possible. Of course you can use it all for ammo for not doing the task.
    the cab/switch cupboard > destination room is about 5-10m away diagonally down [as the crow flies] but theres a staircase inbetween so it makes it a little more of a longer run.

Its a fairly old building - not the classic mutli-layered floor type I've seen in other schools. [shame i dont have a map to show you all really] and i have no idea about the walls and so on i.e. what they are made of, drilling and so on...The floor is thick - as is most of the walls.

The caretaker was given the task to do it with me but like i said, i dont know what exactly qulifications he has in these matters but like i said he's only meant to do "light maintainance" and I doubt this is classed the same.

Getting three quotes will be tough - tho i could include the county themselves as I know of two in the area (well more than that but i dont trust the rest no more) and the county could be the third to quote.

I wouldn't imagine it'd cost that much either really as its more awkward than anything else - but still...

@metalmonkey:

its only a small school so the team comprises of just me really.

The ict co-ordinator is also the deputy head and does understand too much - as he would tell you back in the day lol

13.2k to do almost everything.... hmmmmm..... lol

Spoke to the couty IT helpdesk and they said that although officially I "could" do it (powys insured and work for county etc) they advise that I dont do it as I havent had the sufficient training to be insured personally in order to carry out the task [if that makes sense].

They suggest using the county architect's. I was thinking (like someone said above) that get them in to do proper truncing with the power - and then they would do the lan cables as part of it right?

Cheers
    Nath

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

If you get architects to do a quote - I think it would then be obvious if the school went ahead and did it 'in house', and prompt some finger wagging etc from on high - a good ploy I recon ...Just stir a little and stand well back

Thank Post

lol yep

but i think they might notice a quote taking place from them.

Might give IP a call tho *sighs* lol

Nath.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast