+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Managed networks g or n in Technical; Hi Folks, About to install our first managed network and quite like the look of the Netgrear WFS709TP and wgl102s. ...

Thank Post

Managed networks g or n

Hi Folks,

About to install our first managed network and quite like the look of the Netgrear WFS709TP and wgl102s.

But, had a play with a netgear n access point recently and it did seem quicker and have a better range than g.

The netbooks we are buying all have n wireless on the. I cant find a netgear n managed solution, only g. I just like netgear stuff hence my research of their products. Does anybody do n managed systems yet and more to the point, has anybody used / able to recommend one?

Many thanks,

Ian

Thank Post
    Personally, I wouldn't buy a managed solution in 2010 if it couldn't handle N. We have a Cisco setup (4400 series controller) which is very nice and handles G and N. But it's not cheap.

Search around on here and you'll find people alternately praising and cursing most managed wireless kit. Aruba, Ruckus, HP (Procurve) etc all offer managed wireless at different price points.

How big are you?, How many concurrent clients? How many APs will it take to cover your site / parts of the site where you want coverage?

Thank Post
    There will be 30 netbooks in the short term in a primary with 7 classrooms, staffroom, ppa room and a hall all covered. So thinking 10 APs and a switch.

Thank Post
    I'm not a fan of the Netgear kit... it just seems too limited (although you get what you pay for).

You need to be getting a solution that will let you expand. Look at whether there is a limit on the number of APs (like the Netgear and D-Link solutions). Does the solution have to have the APs hard wired to the controller or can they just plug into your existing network? Has the solution got a history of moving with the times (the likes of Cisco, Bluesocket, Ruckus, etc. have all produced a, b, g and n APs).

Personally, I feel that the performance, features and price of the Ruckus gear is very hard to beat.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    Look at whether there is a limit on the number of APs (like the Netgear and D-Link solutions). Does the solution have to have the APs hard wired to the controller or can they just plug into your existing network?
    The Dlink solution is quite good, up to 48 AP's which do not have to hard wired to the controller and can be centrally managed, the main issue is the 512 device limit on them (but I'm a small school so I don't see that happening until I need to replace it though!)

Managed switch was £2.5k, AP's where £120 each and I covered my site with 20 of them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ben View Post
    The Dlink solution is quite good, up to 48 AP's which do not have to hard wired to the controller and can be centrally managed, the main issue is the 512 device limit on them (but I'm a small school so I don't see that happening until I need to replace it though!)

Managed switch was £2.5k, AP's where £120 each and I covered my site with 20 of them.
    But that's similar money to what I paid for my Bluesocket gear which is considerably higher spec, more expandable and has more features.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    But that's similar money to what I paid for my Bluesocket gear which is considerably higher spec, more expandable and has more features.
    Hi Ric, what does the bluesocket stuff have over the D-Link kit (just because I'm curious!)?

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=659
    Last edited by Mr.Ben; 5th July 2010 at 08:50 PM.

Thank Post
    Personally, I feel that the performance, features and price of the Ruckus gear is very hard to beat.
    I Agree Ric_ we have just installed Ruckus at our new campus, it offers the best performance and features we have tested. I will be looking to move are 3 other sites over to the Ruckus system.

Thank Post
    There is a Netgear Managed N solution and I know of a few deployments in my area. It sometimes actually works out cheaper than the G solution but would now not recommend a system that could not handle N.

Chilbs

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread