+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Ruckus Wireless in Technical; I am looking at installing a wireless network over a small site and have been quoted for a Ruckus Zone ...

Thank Post

Ruckus Wireless

I am looking at installing a wireless network over a small site and have been quoted for a Ruckus Zone Director 1000 and 10 x 7363 APs. Can anyone advise me on a suitable and reasonably priced 12 port 1Gbps POE switch to run the APs from? Also am I right in thinking if I use 1 of the 1Gbps ports to stack to a 1Gbps up/down link ethernet port on a 3com 4210 I will only have 1Gbps connection shared between the 10APs?

Thank Post
    Would Ruckus not recommend something like this for you? If they can and install it etc at least then you know you are dealing with 1 company who know the whole install back to front and your only looking at them if there are any problems.

Could get rid of a lot of ambiguity if something goes wrong and they say "you bought the POE switch, not us" (not saying they would say that, but you know what i mean!).

3. Thanks to RTFM from:

cpcsystems (1st July 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,785 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcsystems View Post
    I am looking at installing a wireless network over a small site and have been quoted for a Ruckus Zone Director 1000 and 10 x 7363 APs. Can anyone advise me on a suitable and reasonably priced 12 port 1Gbps POE switch to run the APs from? Also am I right in thinking if I use 1 of the 1Gbps ports to stack to a 1Gbps up/down link ethernet port on a 3com 4210 I will only have 1Gbps connection shared between the 10APs?
    You would be correct, all those AP's would end up sharing that 1GB backbone. I'd be looking at something like linking a few 1GB ports together to get yourself a 4GB link or something. Also, if you already have a 3com network, personally I'd say stick with 3com.

Quote Originally Posted by RTFM View Post
    Would Ruckus not recommend something like this for you? If they can and install it etc at least then you know you are dealing with 1 company who know the whole install back to front and your only looking at them if there are any problems.

Could get rid of a lot of ambiguity if something goes wrong and they say "you bought the POE switch, not us" (not saying they would say that, but you know what i mean!).
    Not really - Ruckus would focus more on their own gear, one of their resellers would probably discuss the switching needs though. I'd say give net-ctrl a call, and see what they say.

5. Thanks to localzuk from:

Thank Post
    We're using a ProCurve for this very job.

7. Thanks to Edu-IT from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Not really - Ruckus would focus more on their own gear, one of their resellers would probably discuss the switching needs though. I'd say give net-ctrl a call, and see what they say.
    It surprises me that Ruckus (or any company) wouldnt provide a solution from start to finish. If they offer the AP's and the controller but not the POE to get them to work, what good is this solution? Maybe its just me but i'd like to know if i am paying for someone to come in that i wouldnt have to then go running around to also find the extra bits to get it to actually work from elsewhere (and then install it all yourself as well?).

9. Thanks to RTFM from:

Thank Post
    Just for information, in few months, Ruckus's going to have his own switch

11. Thanks to jmacq from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread