+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Blocking TCP/IP Ports with ProCurve Manager in Technical; Morning all We have just upgraded our network with a HP 5406ZL as our Core switch with edge switches consisting ...

Thank Post

Blocking TCP/IP Ports with ProCurve Manager

Morning all

We have just upgraded our network with a HP 5406ZL as our Core switch with edge switches consisting of the 2510 and 2520 range. We were told when we ordered all of the kit that the switches and ProCurve Manager would allow us to block certain ports from being used, e.g the ports that iTunes uses.

We have been told by someone from the same company that you can't limit the ports in this way and we can't find the options because we have a severe lacks of knowledge with ProCurve Manager.

Could anyone shine some light on this?

Thanks

Thank Post
    I have ProCurve Manager 2 and have no idea where you would do this.

I do know that you can use switch ACLs between VLANs to restrict what traffic is allowed in and out. You must have VLANs though, as the traffic will just pass through the switch as normal if the devices are on the same vlan.

I use several ACLs between vlans here on a 5412 to restrict client access to servers etc.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think you can do this as a blanket blockage. We have the same switch and there aren't any settings like that anywhere. As DMcCoy says, the only thing you can do is use ACLs between VLANs to block things.

You could do that in this case - stick the router to the internet on a vlan and everything else on another, then put an ACL in between with that port disallowed.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the responses guys, we are running different VLANs but the switches we particularly want to block iTunes on are set to one VLAN and we wanted to block the ports within that switch, otherwise they can still share etc between same switch users.

Thank Post
    Reaper - I suspect you won't be able to do this. You could put the ACL on the Layer 3 VLAN Interface on the HP5406zl, butthat wouldn't stop any traffic within the VLAN/subnet (only stuff outside of that which needs to go via the default gateway). You might be able to do private VLAN's which involve only allowing hosts to talk to the default gateway (probably the edge switches would need to support this) - but this might break other stuff?

I've seen some Enterasys switches that support Layer3-4 filtering @ Layer2 (but this an additional feature and the switches cost a bit more than your standard managed switch)

Thank Post
    To do what you want you'd probably need the Identity Driven Manager plugin for PCM (HP ProCurve Identity Driven Manager 3.0 J9438A, J9440A, J9439A) and a higher spec switch than the 2510s. Better to confirm with HP though....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread