+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, Replacing our core switch in Technical; The only issues I'd have with that netgear one would be: It only has a 40Gb backplane and doesn't have ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,599 Times in 2,017 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Replacing our core switch

The only issues I'd have with that netgear one would be:

It only has a 40Gb backplane and doesn't have stacking capabilies, compared with a dlink DGS-2234R which has the same 40Gb backplane but the ability to stack for only an extra £100 or the HP 2810-24 (with 48Gb backplane and stackability) for about the same extra. This might not seem like an issue for most people now but in a couple of years, with the introduction of more and more network intensive tasks it seems more future proofed.

Has a 5 year warranty - and looking at our schools methods of network infrastructure replacement we would need at least 7 years.

Is netgear - I hate netgear (Personal experience of their equipment has been that it is poorly built).

May I ask why you chose netgear over someone like hp?

Cheers
    Tony

Thank Post

We have for the last 3 years I have been here had Netgear and never had a single problem (Touch Wood). Stacking was never given as a requirement when the purchase was made, and realistically if and when the need arises for something more I would recommend migrating it out to the edge and bring in newer hardware for the core. To me for the £600 we paid for it, it was always going to be a stopgap solution when other priorities dictated spending (Im not manager or budget holder).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,599 Times in 2,017 Posts
    Blog Entries

Ah, I had assumed the price was going to be close to that given on the link provided... In that case, the price difference is about £300.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 931 Posts

I use Netgear and have been using some L3 Managed Stacking Swtiches that are very good and don't break the bank. http://www.netgear.co.uk/layer3_giga...h_FSM7328S.php are very good and reliable,

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

localzuk.
    Have you read the becta network infrastructure documents?
    Is BSF anywhere on your schools radar?
    Have you considered partnering up with a company rather than building/designing/troubleshooting it in house, this type of approach also gives easy access to 4hr break-fix SLAs. We've still got that on our 3com 3300s which have been unsupported by 3com for a few years now

Look at the extreme networks kit, very good for voip and resiliancy and multicasting. Not cheap, but with the right partner extremely good education rates can be realised. They also do a managed wireless 'solution'.

That said HP Procurves are good, and I'd build a network with them again.

Thank Post

Tony,

We use Allied Telesyn. Great for stacking resilence, multicasting etc and nice and cheap, come with next business day swap out as well.

We had a guy come in from Allied and design it for us foc.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 781 Posts

Cisco 3550 12T combines 10 gig copper with 2 gbics for stackability or go the other way 3550 12G 10 gbic slots and 2 copper gig ports both have 60Gb backplanes for layer 3 routing attach these to 3650 48 port layer 3 capable managed switches also 60Gb routing backplane then cluster and build your VLans to go. Got the last 2 3650 at £2200 with gbic inserts. Very fast very reliable lifetime guarantee plus very good for voip and video conferencing.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 781 Posts

Sorry to say and feel a little ops: as i have just found out that the 3550 range has come to the end of its supported life but they are still available and probabaly at a good price. The 3650 range is the updated model.

Thank Post

Just purchased everything to update our entire network here.

We first upgraded the core with four Cisco C3750G-24TS-S1U switches.

Two in one building stacked together with four 1Gb fibre modules in each switch running 4 x 1GB links to each of two buildings which both had one of these switches in to form the overall core.

Then, wherever possible, we are stacking from this core with 8 x C3750-48TS-S switches to distribute to anything terminating in the main cabinets of each building.

Then, where there are outlaying switches, we have gone for 16 x C3560-24TS-S
    with an additional 1GB module for the uplink to the main cabinet.

We have then added a C3750-24PS-S to the stack in each cabinet to provide power over ethernet for all our wireless access points (which we are just upgrading the remaining old b's to g's)

We looked at 10GB fibre link between buildings but it would have cost as much to do just that as it has to buy all of this kit. And we can always buy another four switches to make it up to an 8GB link between buildings if we desire.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12