+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, How long to rebuild a network, servers & workstations in Technical; Right guys, Well my skill level I would say is good. Been doing this 10 years now!! But still learn ...

Thank Post
    Right guys,

Well my skill level I would say is good. Been doing this 10 years now!! But still learn new things daily!!

Biggest prob with this rebuild is we're not buying any new servers so can't actually take old ones out until we shut for summer. Our servers need rebuilding as there is bits of viruses lying round that have slowed down the servers and sophos can't remove them. Long story and been onto tech support at sophos. Can't upgrade servers as we're moving from 2003 R2 x86 to 2008 R2 x64, so they need a rebuild. Also the amount of junk and other bits on the servers is concerning. Lot of servers have been upgraded from 2000 to 2003 to 2003 r2 and the face we need to repartition them to sort an ongoing storage issue out.

When the network was built 3 years ago by me, it took about 2-2.5 months. Had servers delivered in may, and managed to get them setup, and start testing group polocies and bits then. But this time I don't have the ability to build servers up before hand. This is definately a summer job.

Can't really build images at moment as need to test as we've got some rather picky software that doesn't like to be cloned much. And lot of it is done through WDS to get machines up and running. Also have to test whether the group polocies applies to each policy and machine properly.

Feel a long summer is going to be here!! Any other tips from people?

Ste

Thank Post
    I've done this twice at two different schools once as a move away from RM another to move from NT4/98 to 2000/XP. It's a massive task both times it took around three weeks with two people. We had the new hardware so we could test applications and start getting the DC's ready etc before.
    I would leave this until summer simply so you can plan to finish with 'at least' a week spare if your schedule is too tight you could end up with a very unhappy SMT.

Thank Post
    Depends on your applications. We're starting fresh on Server2008 with XP after the summer. Ive already started on the GPOs. Ive got a RIS image from our current network (will look at WDS later on). SIMS will be done by the lea. We've got 130 new PCs coming, which means 130 in, 130 handed down to the next areas, 130 out, so total 400 machines to move. A couple of core switches to be added and the current config changed on the rest.
    Server wise we'll have the Proxy to move from virtual to physical (dont ask), same for the VLE, same for intranet. Then obviously your file server to set up with DFS and a new folder redirection policy. ISA2006. Terminal services. Printers etc...

The main bit im worried about is teh applications. We have literally hundreds, all deployed by GPO. Some with hardcoded scripts, some bundled into hardcoded msi/mst...

We've got the summer holidays to do it and tbh after taking our holidays in that period i think we're going to be lucky if its all up and running again for Sept. TBF most of what worries me is if teh apps need redoing, and the physical lugging around of 400 PCs up and down 2 flights of stairs!
    Theres 2 of us plus a female apprentice (i mention sex due to carrying PCs upstairs)

3 weeks doable? Yes, if it all goes to plan, but when does that ever happen?
    Last edited by j17sparky; 11th May 2010 at 03:56 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Do you have a spare PC with 64bit VT capable CPU lying around? If so I'd be tempted to install 2008R2 on that and join it to your domain, make it a DC with GC and migrate FSMO roles over to it. Then over the next half term you can build the OU structure and GPO's and test from here. Then once you've rebuilt your first server with 08R2 you can migrate the FSMO roles away from this temp machine and decomission it. Then a lot of the AD/GPO work is out of the way.

If you do this then you won't need to completely recreate everyones users accounts. So you can make a full backup of their home folders to tape/disk using a decent backup program like Yosemite that retains NTFS file/folder permissions and restore the back up on to your new file server once built.

Now all you need is BulkAD from Wisesoft to run through everyones user accounts to and point their home folders, profile path, etc in the the correct location.

Doing it this way I think will save a lot of time and agro and means you don't have to completely re-invent the wheel, so to speek.

Thank Post
    Biggest problem is our current group policies are a mess and a mix from last few years. so thats why starting again.

Thank Post
    If you have no spare kit, no money to buy any new kit, so nothing to play with until your existing stuff is not being used (summer hols) then I would say you need to bring your concerns to your SMT. It could all go smoothly, but chances are your going to hit a snag, and without the ability to prep before the holidays you could find yourself running out of time. If you have already informed your SMT it might not be enought time for you to do it on your own, you can see if they are willing to get someone to help you (short term) or at least they already know things might not be working as they expect by September.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    If you have no spare kit, no money to buy any new kit, so nothing to play with until your existing stuff is not being used (summer hols) then I would say you need to bring your concerns to your SMT. It could all go smoothly, but chances are your going to hit a snag, and without the ability to prep before the holidays you could find yourself running out of time. If you have already informed your SMT it might not be enought time for you to do it on your own, you can see if they are willing to get someone to help you (short term) or at least they already know things might not be working as they expect by September.
    I'd second that. At the very least I'd acquire a decently spec'd PC and vitualise up a 2008 environment set up how you want it all to work with virtual clients of each variety and make sure it works in principle before you even touch your existing setup - or you'll just be in for a world of pain.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ste_Harve View Post
    And just for further information there's only one of me!! This has got to include lugging 100 desktops from IT rooms to other rooms, remove old hardware from the other rooms and place new machines in IT rooms which are first floor!!
    We did a 100 PC refresh last summer - that took the best part of a week - what with moving the old PCs, unboxing the new, cabling, assembling, putting the build on, setting BIOS passwords, testing and getting rid of all the packaging.

Thank Post
    I'm looking at doing something similar myself over the summer, but am still in the planning phase of it.

3 servers (2 curriculum 1 admin, seperate domains. admin runs SIMS too)
    100 approximate computers, about 30 of them staff laptops, only about 5-10 of which are on the domain, rest are standalone.

I've been running networks in some manner for about 4-5 years now, and know all too well how to manage one, but this will be my first attempt to rebuild a new one.
    What I want to do, is rebuild the server(s) to Server2008r2 since all new machines are going to be windows 7, integrating the admin and curriculum domains.
    And a mass rebuild of the workstations, and will add on the staff laptops in september, since most of them are already standalone, shouldn't affect them too much except for printing permissions.

One of my curriculum servers is now essentially decommed, it has nothing on it of importance, but is not very powerful, and rather old now.

I have a couple of questions on this that would love to get an answer on....

-If I rebuild the curriculum servers to a new domain with Server2008 r2, can I decomm the domain on the admin server (running server2003), and add it as a member server on the new domain, without having to reinstall windows, and ultimately SIMS? AKA, does 2k3 and 2k8 play nicely together, or do they all have to be the same version?
    -If I understand correctly, I should be able to install windows server 2008r2 on this old curriculum server, setup my GPO's, new images etc over the next couple of months, then, reinstall the main curriculum DC to server2k8r2 over the summer, and pass all control etc over to the new one? Is this correct?

The old curriculum server I plan to run as web (site and helpdesk) hosting, AV, maybe some printers etc.

And with this in mind, 2-3 server rebuilds, and 70-80 workstations to rebuild (not move or replace), would you reckon 3 weeks is enough time to allocate?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12