+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Managed Wireless Solution in Technical; We are in the process of obtaining quotes for a managed wireless solution to provide a 100% coverage to our ...

Thank Post

Managed Wireless Solution

We are in the process of obtaining quotes for a managed wireless solution to provide a 100% coverage to our School. I'm looking for reliable companies, preferably in the Hampshire area, that you have used in the past that would be able to help me out. If you could provide me with some good reasonably priced hardware (switchs, access points, etc) suitable for a School with approximately 500 students and 80 staff on role I would also be greatful.

Thanks in advance!

Thank Post
    Hi Sam - As a vendor we have deployed in many schools in the Hampshire area. We are the only vendor to offer ae Free Real Life Site Survey and a 100% coverage guarantee. My details are below in my signature - please feel free to contact me so I can provide you with references and get you in touch with our guy who covers Hants.

Thanks

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You need 3 quotes and then you need to work with the supplier to build a solution. Make sure you get a cisco, meru and ruckus quotes. You should also look at near by schools and see what they have got. I have to say that mounting ap can be done by you or the site team.

Thank Post
    They're not local but will travel.

Home

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Don't forget a quote from a supplier for Aruba, great managed wireless system.

Had worked perfectly since the day it was installed and never touched it since.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Don't forget a quote from a supplier for Aruba, great managed wireless system.

Had worked perfectly since the day it was installed and never touched it since.
    Same here, although our it took our supplier a long time to get it to work correctly. Our requirements weren't exectly straight forward.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SamC View Post
    We are in the process of obtaining quotes for a managed wireless solution to provide a 100% coverage to our School. I'm looking for reliable companies, preferably in the Hampshire area, that you have used in the past that would be able to help me out. If you could provide me with some good reasonably priced hardware (switchs, access points, etc) suitable for a School with approximately 500 students and 80 staff on role I would also be greatful.

Thanks in advance!
    Be sure to give me a shout for infomation on The Ruckus Wireless Managed Solution as this would be perfect for your situation,
    We have supplied many edugeek members with this solution and I'm sure we can provide you with case studies to back up the reputation of this low cost and easy to deploy solution,

If you would like to ping me over your contact details by email I can get to work on this straight away for you,

joe@c-p-ltd.com
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 14th June 2012 at 12:02 PM.

Thank Post
    Just something for thought, I had Xirrus come and give us a demo, and as much as they said that it was the best it failed misserably when we tested it. it wasn't untill they sent out a technician to come and fix the problems that we had that he informed us that the system that they where going to put in woudn't work for what we wanted to do.

I would say stay away from Xirrus and give Ruckus a try.

9. Thanks to neilmc from:

CPLTD (11th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmc View Post
    Just something for thought, I had Xirrus come and give us a demo, and as much as they said that it was the best it failed misserably when we tested it. it wasn't untill they sent out a technician to come and fix the problems that we had that he informed us that the system that they where going to put in woudn't work for what we wanted to do.

I would say stay away from Xirrus and give Ruckus a try.
    Out of interest what was your use case, and why didn't Xirrus work? We're considering Ruckus and Xirrus (amongst others) so would be good to know what problems you found with Xirrus

Thank Post
    In the same situation so any more info would be most welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfish View Post
    Out of interest what was your use case, and why didn't Xirrus work? We're considering Ruckus and Xirrus (amongst others) so would be good to know what problems you found with Xirrus

Thank Post
    I'd also be fascinated to hear this - the only school in Lincoln I know that we had a unit in was fine once the array had been located correctly. Initially it was placed not in the location that was shown by our survey, but in a convenient location for testing. We then heard very little and were told it didn't work. I then visited and tested with an Array in the right location and proved coverage was excellent (even in an artroom, through 2 more 1930's heavy brick walls) but the decision was that there was no budget......

Thanks

Ben

Thank Post
    First let me say, this was my last school up north so not in lincolnshire.

Second the guy who came to give a site survey went on about how good xirrus was and how excellent the arrays worked, and when we came to test it for a month, he turned up with a 4 ap array instead of an 8, didn't have kit with him to install it in the correct place on the corridoor. after this was installed it took the logon time to anything between 10 minutes to 30 minutes.

a week later after numerous phone calls trying to get hold of the guy he finally sent out and engineer, who turned up and told us that the array he had installed wouldn't suite the corridoor even for a test, there where too many walls. he then informed us to get the full use of the 8 ap array we would have to upgrade our wireless cards in all laptops from b/g to n something the first guy didn't tell us about. even tho we specified we only had b and g, so from spending 30k on a wireless solution, with 8 ap in one array we where only going to get the use of 1 or 2 aps because we only had b/g if you had n wireless cards go for it should work nicely.

Thank Post
    I know the exact site you are talking about and apologise if you feel this was a bad experience.

Firstly, we were informed that client devices were 802.11abg - there were 802.11a ap's in the network onsite which were not in use (although live) because when we investigated the client devices they were 802.11bg only. This means that to cover the number of clients in that one area there were 3 available channels (1,6,11).

We were also informed that the test was to only cover 2 classrooms hence why an XN4 was supplied. Once it was shown that we needed to cover the entire floor then we specified an XN8 which at the extremes of the entire floor provides an RSSI of -65db. Also the location of the cable run for the test was around 40ft away from the correct location.

Using b/g only the test was poor - as it was with 2 other manufacturers (including single channel architecture) because of the physics of the environment and number of clients.

The school has now purchased 802.11agn cards (PCMCIA) and we are testing again next week and expect to be very successful this time. Our networks are always designed to use a mix of clients for density situations as this is the only way to create more bandwidth. To create more bandwidth you need more radios. To have more non-interfering radios in the air you require use of the full wifi spectrum of 2.4ghz and 5ghz (802.11abgn).

We will test better than anyone else once the new clients are in place as we will be providing more available bandwidth.

Again I am sorry if you could not get hold of our guy, but we continue to work with the customer to create the correct solution for them.

In the interests of transparency I will post results of this testing (successful or unsuccessful) when it is completed.

Thanks

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,382 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Cant really ask for more than that! I would be interested to read the test results!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmc View Post
    First let me say, this was my last school up north so not in lincolnshire.
    BTW Neil, I believe you are at one of my 2 old schools as I went to school in the Market Rasen/Caistor area - I'd love the opportunity to come and talk to you about the Wifi if you would be gracious enough to let me.

Thanks

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast