+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, Managed Wireless Solution in Technical; Have a look at the Netgear WFS709TP it is licensed aruba kit (Aruba's Adaptive Radio Management (ARM) ) very good ...

Thank Post
    Have a look at the Netgear WFS709TP it is licensed aruba kit (Aruba's Adaptive Radio Management (ARM) ) very good and fairly cheap for a managed wireless solution... Aruba license out there management software to a lot of the bigger players in the market. The downside with the Netgear solution is one controler will only control 16 APs however you can stack the controllers to control more APs. I think they are also bringing in an N specification range which will control more AP's per controller.

Thank Post
    Get a quote for Trapeze Networks kit, I've got it here and it works a treat all POE access points the Ringmaster software that controls the wireless makes it easy to setup and manage etc. Not sure about the cost mind.

Thank Post
    The company that installed our wireless are based near Basingstoke, they came out and did a live survey of our building and then did a great job of installing the AP's and setting everything up. When it was done they did another survey to ensure that we had the 100% coverage that we wanted.

The Trapeze Wireless allows us to have multiple SSID's, we have one for allowing the staff to have secure access, one for wireless voice and one for guests. The guests SSID uses a great peice of software, called SmartPass, that allows us to create users (without having to add them to AD) that have specific limits on the times that they can use the wireless network for and when that time expires, they get automatically removed from the network.

Our wireless voice SSID is locally switched, that means that all the traffic does not get sent back to the wireless controller. It gets placed directly on the VLAN, which reduces latency. Thus improving the quality of the voice call.

Our secure staff SSID uses bonded 802.1x authentication, which im sure you're all aware is currently the most secure method for allowing wireless access, as both the user and the laptop have got to be authenticated.

PM me if you would like me to forward you some contact information.

Thank Post

Managed wireless

Hi Sam,
    Hopefully you've considered Meru, I think we have upwards of 50 schools in the Hampshire / Dorset area. We have 3 VERY reliable suppliers in the area who have supply into Hants/Dorset, we are bound to have a reference nearby you can go and see or talk to.
    Meru is know for its abilities in solving the usual issues of channel interference, roaming issues, and client density. The following case study is a 1700 student Hampshire school
    Meru Networks | Brune Park

And if you really want to see the power of what we can really do have a look at the following: YouTube - Meru Networks: Very High Density Wireless LAN Demonstration

Good luck, research hard as wireless is fraught with issues in a school environment.

Wes
    Thank Post
    Meru offers a single channel architecture, which is positioned as eliminating the apparent co-channel interference issues that other multi-channel wireless systems are dogged with (the other 97% of all non-meru wireless systems apparently don't work). Some other vendors (Bzzzzz) offers auto channel selection which eliminates any problems with co-channel interference.

Also Meru will need to be 100% certain that no neighboruing wireless is using the same channel, otherwise the whole deplyment will need to be re-configured to another channel.

In my opinions Meru does a bad job with high density cleints as it means you need to open up more channels to support more devices. In the 5Ghz spectrum there are 19 channels - why not use them? It's like opening up just one lane on the M25.

Scaling with Meru is difficult, each AP having just two radios means any more than 2 channels requires another set of APs.

Roaming is achieved with the virtual port functionality within the Air Traffic Control software where a virtual AP follows a client accorss physical APs. There is however 802.311r which defined fast roaming and is incorporated in the Voice Enterprise certification announced by the WiFi alliance which will leave Meru's approach overshadowed.

I'm certain Meru works though, I have seen it. But I would question that it is the most forward looking solution out there and in my experience is also quite expensive, certainly at the controller end. Some vendors have eliminated the controller which makes for a much simpler, more scalable and lower cost deployment whilst offering the same or better functions and features. Bee sure you're making the right choice. Bzzzzzz.

Thank Post
    +1 for aruba

Thank Post
    Please don't regard this as an attack, more as a reply to some of your comments based on my own knowledge and experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Meru offers a single channel architecture, which is positioned as eliminating the apparent co-channel interference issues that other multi-channel wireless systems are dogged with (the other 97% of all non-meru wireless systems apparently don't work). Some other vendors (Bzzzzz) offers auto channel selection which eliminates any problems with co-channel interference.
    I have experience of installing and configuring wireless solutions from many vendors (HP, Netgear, Cisco, 3Com, Meru) as well as supporting others such as Rukus, Aruba etc. Most of these are centrally managed controller based solutions and all which support auto channel selection and auto transmit power adjustment. The fact still remains that there are limited non-overlapping RF channels that can be used in any wireless deployment. If to many access points can see each other then auto hopping channels will make no difference. The only solution the is to auto adjust the transmit power. When the power is reduced so to is the signal strength leaving coverage black spots.
    This matter is complicated further when taking into account 802.11n and the spiky and erratic nature of the coverage patterns produced by 802.11n. Also the way 802.11n signals bounce around walls, objects and other obstacles means that something as simple as moving furniture in a room can effect the signal pattern and as a result power and channel selection.

Also Meru will need to be 100% certain that no neighbouring wireless is using the same channel, otherwise the whole deplyment will need to be re-configured to another channel.
    This would need to be taken into account with any wireless deployment as would other sources or RF interference, As for changing channels of a whole deployment, this would be a single setting that needed changing on a controller and would probably take around 2mins. This would be considerable less than replanning a conventional wireless deployment if a neighbouring building were to add interfering wireless post deployment.

In my opinions Meru does a bad job with high density cleints as it means you need to open up more channels to support more devices. In the 5Ghz spectrum there are 19 channels - why not use them? It's like opening up just one lane on the M25.
    Scaling with Meru is difficult, each AP having just two radios means any more than 2 channels requires another set of APs.
    Couldn't agree more, but in a conventional wireless deployment the clients would merely connect to the AP broadcasting with the best signal strength and so the same channel. You can of course with most wireless systems configure load balancing but Meru's and other (4th gen) single channel architecture allows you to layer RF networks without interference meaning handling of client density (when configured correctly) should be greatly improved. When more devices are added an extra AP can simply be added and configured to load balance without the need to reconfigure channels or move existing APs.

Roaming is achieved with the virtual port functionality within the Air Traffic Control software where a virtual AP follows a client accorss physical APs. There is however 802.311r which defined fast roaming and is incorporated in the Voice Enterprise certification announced by the WiFi alliance which will leave Meru's approach overshadowed.
    My understanding is that roaming benefits of a Virutal cell Wireless system are more a handy by-product and not designed to compete against 802.11r standards?
    also i would refer you to what other vendors are saying about the technology. here's a quote taken from Aruba's own website
    "802.11r is a new standard, intended to improve handover performance. In centralised WLAN architectures such as Aruba’s it offers only limited improvements, particularly if opportunistic key caching is used (see above). But 802.11r support should be on the checklist for the WLAN vendor."

I'm certain Meru works though, I have seen it. But I would question that it is the most forward looking solution out there and in my experience is also quite expensive, certainly at the controller end. Some vendors have eliminated the controller which makes for a much simpler, more scalable and lower cost deployment whilst offering the same or better functions and features. Bee sure you're making the right choice. Bzzzzzz.
    Nobody can deny that there are some key differences between Meru's wireless technology and others on the market. There are also some which are similar. But is it a bad thing to take a different approach to a problem. If Vendors don't come up with new ways to tackle problems then you simply end up with the same products being released over and over by every vendor, with each competing by trying to add new gimmicks and features instead of looking at their existing products and addressing why the problems are there in the first place. As for cost, I would not say that Meru equipment is cheap. It is considerable more expensive than some of the alternatives. They are however cheaper than some of the equivalent competition. Try getting some like for like comparisons with vendors such as HP or Cisco names which are trusted and known particularly in the commercial sector and there prices will suddenly seem much more reasonable.
    A Final consideration is that best value does not always equal cheapest. Other factors such as quality should be taken into consideration.

Thank Post
    Post edited due to unauthorised advertising.

Dos_Box
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 2nd August 2010 at 11:31 PM.

Thank Post
    Post edited due to unauthorised advertising.

Dos_Box
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 2nd August 2010 at 11:30 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    Does anyone have any experience of managed wireless solutions from Extricom? If so, how does it compare to the competition?

Thank Post
    No real experience of Extricom, but it is my understanding that the Extricom solution requires you to directly wire a connection from each AP directly back to the controller and not via other PoE switches etc. This may or may not be a problem, depending on your building layout and network infrastructure.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you have normal switches, a power point and ethernet plug near each other in the rooms they are to be used it, then it isnt an issue at all with the extricom stuff...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    If you have normal switches, a power point and ethernet plug near each other in the rooms they are to be used it, then it isnt an issue at all with the extricom stuff...
    Not what I was told by an Extricom rep. The system didn't allow communication over fiber etc - all connections had to go back direct to the controller. So, if you have multiple buildings then you needed multiple controllers. You do use ethernet cable, yes, but not via normal switching.

At least, that was what I was told by one of their reps/engineers about a year ago, as I brought up this very issue.

14. Thanks to localzuk from:

Arthur (24th August 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12