+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Network infrastructure upgrade - Possible new fiber backbone in Technical; We're thinking of improving some of the backbone links for our network. Currently all building to building links are via ...

Thank Post

Network infrastructure upgrade - Possible new fiber backbone

We're thinking of improving some of the backbone links for our network. Currently all building to building links are via standard cat 5. Not exactly "by the book", but it's worked well for over 5 years running at 1 GigE.

We're thinking of replacing these with fiber, however I've never worked with fiber and I'm not sure of the most efficient network layout or most cost effective method of installation. The attached pdf shows all of our current switches and links.

As you can see from the diagram switch C is our 'central switch', a procurve 1800-24. Would replacing links C-E , C-B and C-A with fiber be best? Or just running a single 10gbps fiber link and creating a second 'core switch' for the building on the right? (Ignore C-F, it's non-critical)

As for installation, a pull through exists between the core switch and the building on the right. Is a in house install viable or can anyone recommend good companies in the Dorset area for quotes?

Also, would we need different switches? The procurves have modules to support fiber, but possibly not enough for our core switch to support multiple fibers.

Any advice on how others would tackle this would be great!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank Post
    I would want to eliminate the cat5 runs C-E, C-B and C-A and have a second 'core' at B by making C-B a new fibre.
    Everything to the right of the map would connect to B: that means a new fibre E-B and new copper A-B. If the 2250 only has two gigabit ports you will be short of a port there, but you could resolve that by swapping your switches around or buying a replacement.

I don't see any point in replacing the other links with fibre if they're working okay. Also the procurve 1800 at C only supports two fibre modules so you would need to replace it if you terminate any more fibres there.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Or he could buy several media converters to allow the fibre to connect to the switches still.

How much budget is set aside for this?

Thank Post
    Budget set aside is £5k. Which must cover everything. Cable, switches, installation. Is that realistic?

I'd like to steer clear of media converters if I can.

Yes, I'd looked at the 2 mini gbic ports on the procurves. Are the 2 ports for 2 separate fiber runs? I.e RX TX twice? Or one port for RX and one for TX?

Thank Post
    Each port is for a separate fibre run. There are two strands of fibre one for RX and one for TX. We have just recently removed all but one of our fibre convertors. They are a right pain.

For what you are talking about 5k maybe a little on the low side. I think it could be done but you would not have any 'spare' money for a contingency. I always like a little left over. But that's just me.
    Last edited by denon101; 10th May 2010 at 03:01 PM.

Thank Post
    @bozallen: Each mini-GBIC port is for a separate tranceiver. You can 'trunk' the two which would give you double the bandwidth plus resilience in case a pair fails.

I would recommend you connect E and A to B but also leave your links back to C shat you can have some redundancy. Fibre would be neater for your new links and your budget will probably cover it... it will also give you room to grow.

I would also take the opportunity to standardise your switches on HP. Move the switch from C to A and put a couple of 2810 24G switches at C and B (see ProCurve 2810 24G Switch (J9021A) specifications - HP Small & Medium Business products ).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Just remember with hp switches you can only use either the 1gb fiber port or the 1gb cat 5 port. Also I would stay away from media converters as they can be a pain in the bum!

Thank Post
    ^^Not so with all models - just bought a 2510-48 which allows for fibre and copper to be used at once - I think! The manual says: "On the 2510-48, two 10/100/1000Base-T RJ-45 ports and two SFP or mini-GBIC ports", where for the 2510-24 it says "either the 10/100/1000Base-T RJ-45 or the min-GBIC can be used for each port".

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    ^^Not so with all models - just bought a 2510-48 which allows for fibre and copper to be used at once - I think! The manual says: "On the 2510-48, two 10/100/1000Base-T RJ-45 ports and two SFP or mini-GBIC ports", where for the 2510-24 it says "either the 10/100/1000Base-T RJ-45 or the min-GBIC can be used for each port".
    They may have changed what they can do, but on the ones i have HP 2610-48 you can use either port 49 (rj45) or port 51 (fiber) for one of the 1gb ports and port 50 or 52 so you can use one of the RJ45 ports and a fiber port separately, but not both e.g so not port 49 and 51 but could use port 49 as rj45 and port 52 as fiber.

Thank Post
    Just out of interest, how far is each point on the map? I only use fibre on our network if cat6 cable wont reach, hence we only have 5 going up to 6 fibre links at the mo. The rest is cable.

Thank Post
    I don't know exact distances, but we think C - A is around 90m.

Can you get a 10gbit mini-GBIC? Worth it? There's around 60 clients connecting via A,B,E. B clients will be particularly media heavy.

What do people think to using pre terminated fiber from this place Cheap Pre-Terminated Fibre, Pre-Terminated Fiber UK and doing an in-house job? Is it pretty much run-plug-play?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    They may have changed what they can do, but on the ones i have HP 2610-48 you can use either port 49 (rj45) or port 51 (fiber) for one of the 1gb ports and port 50 or 52 so you can use one of the RJ45 ports and a fiber port separately, but not both e.g so not port 49 and 51 but could use port 49 as rj45 and port 52 as fiber.
    I'm pretty sure the 2600 series are not dual personality ports so you can use both, I do it here on at least one maybe I need to check the model number though.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bozallen View Post
    I don't know exact distances, but we think C - A is around 90m.

Can you get a 10gbit mini-GBIC? Worth it? There's around 60 clients connecting via A,B,E. B clients will be particularly media heavy.

What do people think to using pre terminated fiber from this place Cheap Pre-Terminated Fibre, Pre-Terminated Fiber UK and doing an in-house job? Is it pretty much run-plug-play?
    I think you can but they are very expensive. I know that i was looking at jumping to 10Gb backbones but the cost is mind blowing.

You should be ok running Cat5e or 6 at those distances.

As for the supply of cable, i use a company called Mills with pre terminated LC ends, buy a couple of patch cables with LC to ST ends with the HP GBIC 1gb which have the ST ports.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread