+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Network Printers - IP Allocation Best Practice in Technical; Whats the best practice for issuing network printers with IPs. Currently ours here are DHCP with a reservation. But an ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Network Printers - IP Allocation Best Practice

Whats the best practice for issuing network printers with IPs. Currently ours here are DHCP with a reservation. But an issue has arose which has caused them all to go out of whack.

I've always personally assigned network printers with a static address previously..

Is there a suggested 'best practice' ?

Thank Post
    I use static AND DHCP reservervation (same IP obviously)

That way - I give myself 2 chances

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post

regards

Simon
    Pointless? if the device is set to use a static IP it will never request a dhcp lease.

Unless your putting them in the same pool as the available leases for other devices and not creating a exclusion range for them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post

regards

Simon
    sounds like he creates the reservation in dhcp and excludes it so it is not assigned or dished out to any other device but on the device itself ( printer / copier ) he gives or assigns the device the same static ip address as the one he excluded ( I think )

Although if something goes wrong with dhcp then the clients ( computers ) would have problems surely ?

So dhcp would need fixing / looking into and resolving anyway, easier to leave the device set to dhcp and reserve by mac address and exclude from the dhcp pool
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 10th May 2010 at 07:41 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,703 Times in 2,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by p858snake View Post
    Pointless? if the device is set to use a static IP it will never request a dhcp lease.
    Unless the device looses its config or some helpful child resets it.

I use DHCP assigned static IPs just to make it easier from a configuration and documentation standpoint. If they are all listed in DHCP it is really easy to find them. The one place where this falls down is during a long power cut where the servers shut down and then take longer to come back up than the printers leaving them with no ip address.

6. Thanks to SYNACK from:

RabbieBurns (10th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post

I use DHCP assigned static IPs just to make it easier from a configuration and documentation standpoint. If they are all listed in DHCP it is really easy to find them. The one place where this falls down is during a long power cut where the servers shut down and then take longer to come back up than the printers leaving them with no ip address.
    Not sure about the printers but copier wise you can assign them a hostname and if using dhcp I get to the web interface and add them as a printer by using the devices hostname so regardless of the ip address changing it will always take you to the correct web interface or print to the correct device, obviously if you are using static ip address then either the ip address or hostname ( if one exists device in question ) so the above might be a moot point.

Thank Post
    Well maybe I'm fooling myself but my thinking is that static ip sorts out the printer but when it resets itself (as HP2600s are prone to do) then it reverts to DHCP and pics up the DHCP reservation.

Have I got something wrong?

regards

Simon
    Last edited by SimpleSi; 10th May 2010 at 08:10 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

This must be exactly what has happend. One campus was getting a scheduled power cut off, so shut the servers down on friday night, and powered them back on Sunday. The printers would have just gone off and on whenever they cut the power (4 or so hours downtime on the saturday)

That explains it. Thanks

Thank Post
    I use DHCP assigned static ip address's.

However what I tend to do is some thing like the following

192.168.0.1-50 Servers
    192.168.0.50-0.100 Switches
    192.168.0.100-0.200 Printers
    192.168.0.200-3.254 General DHCP

Subnet mask 255.255.252.0

So make sure that there are blocks set aside for various equipment.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I use static IP...Servers and Printers are all IP'd from 10.9.xx.240 - 10.9.xx.253 (aside from DC which is 10.9.xx.1 and DNS 10.9.xx.254) - simply for the fact that there is not that many in my school.

Switches and such like are on 10.9.xx.220-10.9.xx.239

General DHCP 10.9.xx.2 - 10.9.xx.219

All on a subnet mask of 255.255.252.0
    Last edited by nephilim; 10th May 2010 at 09:10 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,703 Times in 2,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Not sure about the printers but copier wise you can assign them a hostname and if using dhcp I get to the web interface and add them as a printer by using the devices hostname so regardless of the ip address changing it will always take you to the correct web interface or print to the correct device, obviously if you are using static ip address then either the ip address or hostname ( if one exists device in question ) so the above might be a moot point.
    Yes you can do this but it does rely on DNS being up and the printer successfully registering with it, if in the above case the servers have gone down due to a power failure then the DNS servers won't be up and won't register. Assuminig that you have Netbios enabled on all your gear and it is all on the same subnet then it will usually resolve that way but can take some time to resolve the name to an actual address. This can cause issues in itself when stuff is first switched on or accessed causing delays and failures. As netbios type resolution is a now a secondary technology and is on its way out I prefer the direct route with ip if possible in the deployment.

Thank Post
    Yes you can do this but it does rely on DNS being up and the printer successfully registering with it, if in the above case the servers have gone down due to a power failure then the DNS servers won't be up and won't register. Assuminig that you have Netbios enabled on all your gear and it is all on the same subnet then it will usually resolve that way but can take some time to resolve the name to an actual address. This can cause issues in itself when stuff is first switched on or accessed causing delays and failures. As netbios type resolution is a now a secondary technology and is on its way out I prefer the direct route with ip if possible in the deployment.
    We have had a few power cuts where I work and have never had any lag or issues with dns resolving to correct ip addy - even though its manually and statically assigned to the printer as I find it easer to remember the hostname and also type the hostname into the address bar then typing out an ip address.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread