+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Ruckus and encryption keys in Technical; What is the best way to setup domain laptops to use our wireless is there an easy way to automatically ...
    Thank Post

Ruckus and encryption keys

What is the best way to setup domain laptops to use our wireless is there an easy way to automatically tell the laptops what SSID and key to use, group policy, RADIUS server etc, how are you all doing this?

Thanks.

Thank Post
    We use GPO settings to distribute this information.

Have a look under: Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Wireless Network (IEEE 802.11) Policies and you might find what you're looking for. You can create a new wireless policy including the ability to use Single Sign On, works significantly better with Vista/Win 7 than XP though.

3. Thanks to mrmontymick from:

cookie_monster (10th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    RADIUS + machine certificates + group policy seems to work alright it has better security than pre-shared key and you can't push those by GP anyway.

5. Thanks to SYNACK from:

cookie_monster (10th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    RADIUS + machine certificates + group policy seems to work alright it has better security than pre-shared key and you can't push those by GP anyway.

No rush but can you give me a bullet point list of what I need to do to get that in place, I can read the material myself so don't go in depth it's just handy to know where to start and in what order things need doing.

Thanks.

Thank Post
    I wouldn't mind some info on this too! We just get everyone to activate at the mo which is OK until the key runs out which then causes mass hysteria.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Here are some guides: Wireless Networking in Windows 2003
    Deployment of Protected 802.11 Networks Using Microsoft Windows
    These involve certificates on the client and server providing the best level of security

There is also a way to do it with a single self signed certificate but I beleive that this is probably less secure:
    http://www.edugeek.net/forums/networ...as-server.html
    Ultimate wireless security guide: Automatic PEAP deployment with Microsoft Active Directory GPO

Thank Post
    I wouldn't mind some info on this too! We just get everyone to activate at the mo which is OK until the key runs out which then causes mass hysteria.
    Don't set an expiry on the keys?

Thank Post
    Here all the wireless settings are configured manually on the laptop because (correct me if im wrong) to deploy the settings via gpo will require a network connection so you'd wire it in for the gpo to take. Its much easier and for the most part more reliable to configure it manually, which allows for some testing to make sure the config takes. 802.1x RADIUS config, I find, sometimes takes some fiddling to get it to work.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apeo View Post
    Here all the wireless settings are configured manually on the laptop because (correct me if im wrong) to deploy the settings via gpo will require a network connection so you'd wire it in for the gpo to take. Its much easier and for the most part more reliable to configure it manually, which allows for some testing to make sure the config takes. 802.1x RADIUS config, I find, sometimes takes some fiddling to get it to work.

Currently we have 45 notebooks (managed by IT) with the key set manually soon we might have 100, what happens when we want to change the WPA key which at some point we will no doubt currently this will be allot of work.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Don't set an expiry on the keys?
    good idea but we have students laptop keys too and its nice for them to renew each year so they expire when they leave. Unless we can set different expiry time period for different WLAN's on the ZoneDirector?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    Currently we have 45 notebooks (managed by IT) with the key set manually soon we might have 100, what happens when we want to change the WPA key which at some point we will no doubt currently this will be allot of work.
    Well we use RADUIS here so we dont use Keys. That being said we do have the laptops imaged once a year and we configure the laptops then.

Depending on your maintenance cycle you could manually configure it each time or i guess use gpo to deploy the changes.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
    good idea but we have students laptop keys too and its nice for them to renew each year so they expire when they leave. Unless we can set different expiry time period for different WLAN's on the ZoneDirector?
    Yes, that's possible on Ruckus I believe. You can create different SSID's with different keys and different expiry lengths. Failing that use guest passes for them.

Thank Post
    Never pinned it down but we used to use IAS etc and found random laptops would sporadically fall off the domain and wed have to rejoin them it was quite a strange fault.
    We switched to using PSKs as a short term measure (a year ago ) and it works much better, at least in regards to falling off the domain.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kipling View Post
    Never pinned it down but we used to use IAS etc and found random laptops would sporadically fall off the domain and we’d have to rejoin them – it was quite a strange fault.
    We switched to using PSKs as a short term measure (a year ago ) and it works much better, at least in regards to falling off the domain.
    What exactly do you mean falling off the domain?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apeo View Post
    Well we use RADUIS here so we dont use Keys. That being said we do have the laptops imaged once a year and we configure the laptops then.

Depending on your maintenance cycle you could manually configure it each time or i guess use gpo to deploy the changes.

Hey apeo, can you have one SSID that clients use RADIUS and another where users set their own key manually? I'd like one for our network clients and a public one that can't see our network with a static key.

Thanks.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast