+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Xirrus is proud to be an Edugeek official Sponsor....... in Technical; ...
    Thank Post

Xirrus is proud to be an Edugeek official Sponsor.......

Hi my name is Ben Wilson, I am the UK Country Manager for Xirrus.

I have over 10 years experience in designing, managing and deploying IT networks, and have personally deployed over a 1000 Wi-Fi networks in all manner of environments from critical high availability health care solutions to challenging environmental environments such as music festivals.
    I have worked at all levels in the deployment chain – from Vendor to End User and everything in between including senior roles at TNS (now BTiNet) and CSI.

Xirrus is a proud sponsor of Edugeek. Xirrus, the only Wi-Fi "Power-Play", manufacturers the Wi-Fi Array that displaces both overlay Wi-Fi offerings and switched Ethernet to the desktop.
    The Wi-Fi Array provides more than enough bandwidth, security, and control to replace switched Ethernet as a user’s primary network connection.
    The Xirrus Wi-Fi Array delivers the most coverage, bandwidth, throughput, and user density in the industry, resulting in 75% fewer devices, cabling, switch ports, power, space, and installation time compared with any other Wi-Fi offering.

We provide real life active site surveys and back them up with coverage guarantees – taking the risk away from our customers!

Please feel free to ask any questions about our products or services

Thanks Ben!
    Last edited by Xirrus; 6th May 2010 at 08:05 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Xirrus View Post
    The Xirrus Wi-Fi Array delivers the most coverage, bandwidth, throughput, and user density in the industry
    How?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Xirrus View Post
    Xirrus, the only Wi-Fi "Power-Play", manufacturers the Wi-Fi Array that displaces both overlay Wi-Fi offerings and switched Ethernet to the desktop.
    The Wi-Fi Array provides more than enough bandwidth, security, and control to replace switched Ethernet as a user’s primary network connection.
    The Xirrus Wi-Fi Array delivers the most coverage, bandwidth, throughput, and user density in the industry, resulting in 75% fewer devices, cabling, switch ports, power, space, and installation time compared with any other Wi-Fi offering.
    Those are pretty bold claims. Would you speak to the Edugeek Conference about your offering and how it works, and why it's better?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Welcome Aboard Ben

Thank Post
    I would have checked your spelling and such before posting up..... first impressions and all that! :P

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    First off welcome to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    How?
    Having been to one of their presentations edIT Roadshow 2010 - Auckland - Blogs - EduGeek.net I can offer that they use mental amounts of radios in each AP along with hardware (FPGA/ASIC) implemeted encryption. I'm sure that the OP can explain better though.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 6th May 2010 at 12:30 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ben, I shall email you a report that I have done. You might be interested to have a read as it covers you technology as well as other wireless technologies, and yours did not fair so well compared to others.

Thank Post
    Hi David,

Firstly, please excuse if this sounds like a sales pitch, but this is the best way to describe our product. Also apologies for any typo's etc.

Our array is designed with 4,8 12, 16 or 24 radios, using directional antennas and integrated 2Gbps switch. These means that on a per device basis we deliver at least twice the range, four times the coverage and eight times the bandwidth of any other wifi device out there. Just ask our customers in the UK. For example Liverpool Womens Hospital were quoted in excess of 130 standard dual radio access points plus controllers to cover their hospital. We surveyed and gave them a guaranteed RSSI of -70 using just 27 of our Arrays. On average we reuqire 75% fewer devices, cale runs and swicth ports as well as offering savings on power. We also provide a free real life site survey and 100% coverage guarantee as well as Free Installation, Training and Post Site Survey Verification Alder Hey Childrens Hospital were looking at in excess of 1200 Ap's........we covered the site in just 200 of our Arrays saving them 1000 cable runs, switch ports etc etc
    We have many examples in the UK of high user density: At Bristol Brunel Academy we replaced a failing controller/standard AP deployment which could not cope with 600 netbooks all logging on simultaneously every morning. We did this with just 23 of our XN4 arrays and are not even scratching the potential capacity as they plan to go to 900 users shortly in a 1:1 laptop initiative. Microsoft use a controller/Thin AP solution for their offices where they have small user numbers disparately spread across their offices. For user density areas where they have 1000's of users in the small area all demanding connectivity they use us (Microsoft Developer Conference - video interview with Microsoft available on Xirrus: Switching Without Wires). Many products can cope with just coverage, but capacity with multiple users is where we excel. We also have a distributed architecture as opposed to centralized one. This mean that like a switch network, we put the intelligence at the edge and remove the single point of failure of a controller, and also the bottleneck.
    How about we come and give you a product walkthrough and demonstration? If you visit our website (Xirrus: Switching Without Wires) you can see Tolly independently verified our coverage and density and the fact that our distributed architecture improves network performance and dramatically reduces overhead on your Wired Network.

If you would like to know more or would like me to arrange a product demo/walkthrough, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Ben

10. 2 Thanks to Xirrus:

dhicks (6th May 2010), webman (6th May 2010)

Thank Post
    I would be pleased to speak at the Edugeek conference - no problem!

12. 3 Thanks to Xirrus:

featured_spectre (6th May 2010), powdarrmonkey (6th May 2010), Soulfish (6th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As Ben has pointed out on the phone on my report, I was given false information by the 3rd party supplier (in regards to the Xirrus equipment) so I shall have to remove my current report and recommendations for the future references. My apologies for those that have read the report! Ben has also offered to do a full comparison test to get the report up to scratch!
    Last edited by featured_spectre; 6th May 2010 at 12:49 PM.

Thank Post
    Please do not confuse number of antennas with number of radios but an interesting comparison! We provide 4,8,12,16 or 24 radios in each device, giving more bandwidth and supporting more users.

Thank Post
    Thanks Carl for the clrification - I'd be happy to do a comparison test on your site. Please check out the independent Tolly report on our website.

Thank Post
    Having had a site survey from the guys at Xirrus this time last year I can safely say that the access points are a little mental - just the sheer number of radios + computing power that they shove in them. And they have pretty flashing lights .

I'm hoping at some point in the future to get a Xirrus array and a Ruckus AP and see how they compare

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfish View Post
    And they have pretty flashing lights
    I'm sold!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast