+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Xirrus is proud to be an Edugeek official Sponsor....... in Technical; Originally Posted by Xirrus Our array is designed with 4,8 12, 16 or 24 radios, using directional antennas and integrated ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Xirrus View Post
    Our array is designed with 4,8 12, 16 or 24 radios, using directional antennas and integrated 2Gbps switch.
    Does that switch support standard (IEEE 802.3ad) link aggregation that we can use with our existing wired switches?

Do your access points support power over ethernet, or do they require a bit more power than that?

we deliver at least twice the range, four times the coverage and eight times the bandwidth of any other wifi device out there.
    How do you provide increased range - do you simply increase the power of the radio transmitter? What, exactly, is "coverage"?

I can understand (I think) how an access point could use multiple radio attenae, pointing in different directions, to provide wireless coverage to devices in different directions. How does your system go about dealing with multiple devices all covered by one antennae - i.e. a classroom full of 30 laptops? Does your system make use of multiple non-overlapping wireless channels?

I assume you minimise interference between access points by having the access points sense other emitting devices and reduce the power of an attenae if they think it's going to intefere with another access point. Is that correct? If so, what happens in the area between the two access points - is there a "dead" zone where the signals from either access points won't quite reach?

We also provide a free real life site survey and 100% coverage guarantee
    What, exactly, are the details of that guarantee?

We also have a distributed architecture as opposed to centralized one. This mean that like a switch network, we put the intelligence at the edge and remove the single point of failure of a controller, and also the bottleneck.
    That certainly seems to make sense - and it also avoids us having any initial outlay on a central controller, we could simply buy access points as we can afford them. Is that correct? How much is an individual access point?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post

That certainly seems to make sense - and it also avoids us having any initial outlay on a central controller, we could simply buy access points as we can afford them. Is that correct? How much is an individual access point?

--
    David Hicks
    not sure what 'bottlenecks' are being referred to as far the controller based solutions on the market.

as for the initial outlay on controllers.....how about the initial outlay on AP's with upwards of 4 discrete radios within them ?

Thank Post
    The quotes we've gotten for a Xirrus solution are similar to the quotes we've had for Ruckus based solutions so I think the outlays are similar

Thank Post
    Hi David,

Great questions.

Firstly yes we do support 802.3ad link aggregation as well as active back up, mirroring and bridging across our dual Gig Ethernet ports.
    There is a road map for our XN4 product to support 802.3at by the end of the year, but we supply our own Power over Gigabit Ethernet injectors (also used by other manufacturers) to support the power needed for multiple 802.11n radios currently on all of our devices. Not only does this mean the switch ports for your wireless will not need to be PoE (cost saving) but our increased coverage means you will require approx 75% fewer of them.

Total Emitted power from our radios is the same as any one else, however because we use high gain directional antennas, we can both "listen" and "talk" further. Increased coverage means useable signal strength. Our guarantee matches whatever the customer requirements are. if its for performance data then we guarantee an RSSI of -72dbm - if its for voice and data then we survey and guarantee to what is required, typically an RSSI value of between -65dbm and -68dbm dependent on client equipment. All of our antennas/radios overlap by 50% meaning there are no "dead spots", even in the unlikely event of a radio failing (we have a MTBF of over 8 years). Imagine our channel planning like trivial pursuit counter - because we are able to control the RF better, we are able to get more non interfering radios in the air. We are also able to load balance across radios and arrays meaning we can design to have multiple radios covering everywhere, allowing support of more simultaneous users and providing more available bandwidth. We use non-interfering channels utilizing the full spectrum of 2.4Ghz (802.11b/g/n) and 5Ghz (802.11a/n).
    Our guarantee is simple. We will survey and tell you how many devices are needed for what you require (data, voice/data, RFID etc). If any more devices are need than we say, we will supply the units free of charge.
    You are not restricted by a controller or licensing, therefore you can scale as quickly or as slowly as you require, meaning phased deployments are easier. We still do full centralised management for those who want it, giving you full monitoring, command and control of your wireless network, but without the bottleneck or reliability constraints of a controller.
    Think of how the mobile phone business developed. When they first deployed cell technology they had single or dual radios with omni directional antennas as they had few users disparately spread out. As they have needed to increase coverage and capacity they have moved to multiple radio, high gain directional antenna system on their towerrs to provide more bandwidth, coverage and throughput. This is because in reality it is the only way to do this. Simply put, more radios = more bandwidth and more users. At the end of the day, if the RF isn't designed correctly, wireless will never work to its potential. Our product has been designed from the ground up to solve the issue of user density - that's why you will find us successfully deployed in the most user dense environments in the world, like education.
    Total Cost of ownership is normally less than that of our competitors when everything is accounted for, but on a per device basis we would appear to be more expensive. When you take into account the saving on switches, cabling, professional services and the 100% guarantee, then we are normally much better value.
    Would you like us to come and do a survey and show our capabilities?

Thanks

Ben

5. 2 Thanks to Xirrus:

cookie_monster (7th May 2010), dhicks (7th May 2010)

Thank Post
    BTW Everyone - we started this forum with Xirrus [I]are[I] proud, when maybe it should have been Xirrus is proud. Apologies for this grammatical error for the many who (or should that be whom??) have emailed us to point it out.......we will change it. Apologies.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have to say Ben that you are a nice guy and your responses are nothing short of fantastic! It's nice to see someone who is proud of his companies product and is willing to do a like for like test to prove that the equipment is good! Not many companies do that and it shows that you have complete confidence in your products!! Are you guys at the BETT show next year?

Thank Post
    We certainly are! It will be our 3rd year at the show and we will have a ground floor stand. I'll update this with details as they are available.
    Many thanks for the positive comments. One thing I hope everyone will understand and appreciate about Xirrus is our transparency and the fact we always do the right thing by the customer.
    More than happy to field any questions anyone has.

Ben

Thank Post
    I'm rather fond of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector Tool, which is free.

10. Thanks to AyatollahPies from:

dhicks (11th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    I'm sold!
    Only if they are blue.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanks for your reply, it certainly sounds as though you actually know your way around your own product (I've talked to plenty of wireless vendors in the past who don't).

Quote Originally Posted by Xirrus View Post
    Total Cost of ownership is normally less than that of our competitors when everything is accounted for, but on a per device basis we would appear to be more expensive. When you take into account the saving on switches, cabling, professional services and the 100% guarantee, then we are normally much better value.
    Right, but how much are your access points?

Would you like us to come and do a survey and show our capabilities?
    I need some kind of vauge idea about how much your system costs before I can even talk to the bursar about it.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Its nice to see somebody that enjoys selling there product that actually knows about how it works in detail rather then just reading of a crib sheet down the phone! There is a school not far from here which uses Xirrus and from what i have heard it is very good for what it does.

Toby

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    I need some kind of vauge idea about how much your system costs before I can even talk to the bursar about it.
    For full coverage of my school it would have cost us ~£8000. It is a very good system and the site survey is quite thorough!

15. Thanks to nephilim from:

dhicks (7th May 2010)

Thank Post
    If you are budgeting for a managed, enterprise class wifi system then we will fit in that budget. If you sned me contact details we can have chat, then i can get some budgetary figures together for you.

Thanks

Ben

17. Thanks to Xirrus from:

dhicks (11th May 2010)

Thank Post
    When we were quoted last year it was around £20k for Ruckus and around £15-20k for Xirrus for site wide coverage (1050 pupils on one site spread over about 7 buildings).

19. Thanks to Soulfish from:

dhicks (11th May 2010)

Thank Post
    We are currently looking for a site wide wireless solution and have just recently had a Xirrus survey. Have to admit the AP's are pretty impressive both in terms of content/build quality and as of today we have begun testing a unit on loan. So far things look good. Have to admit the external coverage displayed during the survey was rather impressive, think we might need to turn the juice down a bit on the external AP possibly to not wipe out any of the neighbours !!!!
    From wireless newbies i.e in house Netgear solution that does not work we are slowly gaining the know on various solutions including HP and Ruckus which again we have tested. To date we think that the Xirrus solution is the only one guaranteed to give coverage and more importantly capacity allowing 30 users to login per classroom if required, something we have had lots of headaches with before.
    Early days but things are looking good and yes flashing lights always help the sales pitch. Shame it costs an arm and a leg but hey you get what you pay for!!!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast