+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, how to Stream world cup in HD from Freesat? in Technical; OK I know this box works for standard definition: SiliconDust HD Homerun dual DVB-T Network Tuner (from onevideo.co.uk) ** Is ...

Thank Post

how to Stream world cup in HD from Freesat?

OK I know this box works for standard definition:

SiliconDust HD Homerun dual DVB-T Network Tuner (from onevideo.co.uk) **

Is it possible to rig up something similar that takes a Freesat high-def signal and multicasts it?

I'm only interested in the World Cup - multiple channel streaming not necessary.

** a review by Wayne Harrison at onevideo.co.uk states the following:

..............................Although this version does not 'officially' support multicast streaming (and this is reiterated on IRC) it will actually stream over a multicast port BUT (and this ISNT a fault with the unit) make sure your network switches support multicast streams as I found out that the streams will disconnect after an hour or so.
    Last edited by diagram; 8th April 2010 at 02:50 AM. Reason: included info about multicast

Thank Post

3. Thanks to Cools from:

SimpleSi (8th April 2010)

Thank Post
    I'm not sure if you can get these to multicast but they are a neat solution... Sling Media - Selecting the Right Slingbox is Easy

Thank Post
    Is there a particular reason you want to multicast it?

Thank Post
    I confess I know very little about multicasting. But I just want the stream generally available so teachers and pupils can watch in any of their normally timetable rooms. I don't think there will be a lot of serious school work done when our internal exams are finished, and I am assuming that multicast will put less load on the network than a lot of separate streams to each PC.

I was thinking of using either VLC to stream, or DVBLogic - provider of digital streaming connectivity solutions , in conjunction with a suitable input card or device. VLC compatibe devices are at Hardware Compatibility list - VideoLAN Wiki and I am sure there are some more devices which will work as well.

Slingbox is no good
    From Slingbox FAQ:
    How many computers can the SlingPlayer software be installed on?
    Presently, the SlingPlayer software can be installed on an unlimited number of computing devices. However, a Slingbox can only stream content to one device at any given time. The software for a PC or a Mac is free. However, Sling Media charges a one-time fee of £19.99 for each device license of the SlingPlayer Mobile software.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by diagram View Post
    I confess I know very little about multicasting. But I just want the stream generally available so teachers and pupils can watch in any of their normally timetable rooms. I don't think there will be a lot of serious school work done when our internal exams are finished, and I am assuming that multicast will put less load on the network than a lot of separate streams to each PC.
    I thought that's what you'd say. Unless it's directly a curriculum activity, you need the appropriate public broadcast licenses to do this.

From a technical POV: yes, multicast will place less load on your network given the right conditions. Crucially, the benefits are negligible if you're streaming to <3 machines (versus the overhead of setting it up and so on).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    I'm not sure if you can get these to multicast but they are a neat solution... Sling Media - Selecting the Right Slingbox is Easy
    Slingboxes are awesome, but they are locked to a 1 viewer per slingbox unfortunately. Even on a LAN.

edit: I see this was already posted above..

I love my slingboxes.. Got 4 now :P

Thank Post
    I thought that's what you'd say. Unless it's directly a curriculum activity, you need the appropriate public broadcast licenses to do this.
    I don't know much about the law either. Can you give me a reference to the legislation?

Note: I just want to stream live video from an unencrypted channel. I don't want to record anything or break any encryption codes, or stream it outside our premises. Morally I would not doing much different from buying a lot of these Peak DVB-T Digital TV (203244AGPK) Single Tuner USB stick | Peak | 203244AGPK. But of course the law doesn't always reflect morals.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Will BBC Iplayer not be showing the games? And does BBC Iplayer not have a HD stream option?

Is there a way you can somehow have 1 connection to the internet caching the stream?

edit: that is to say, does the BBC have the rights for the WC, or is it split over all the FTA channels?
    Last edited by RabbieBurns; 8th April 2010 at 03:55 PM.

Thank Post
    iplayer might be a way to go. I'm not sure if that stream is easily cacheable - there is technology in the live stream to prevent it being recorded, and in the stored-programme streams to stop them being shown after a certain length from the original broadcast. (see Wikipedia)
    If it isn't cacheable then that limits the number of stations that can simultaneously use it as they're all sucking up bandwidth on my Internet link.

I think BBC and ITC split coverage of the World Cup.

Thank Post
    This could be an option - TVersity - Home - still looking into it myself though so cannot offer much. 30 concurrent users in the free edition, 1000 upwards for the paid edition.

Thank Post
    The Grand National was live-streamed by iPlayer in standard definition only, so I wouldn't count on the World Cup in HD by this method

I wonder do new-build hotels still have an RF distribution system or do they pipe TV, telephone and pay-per-view through a IP infrastructure?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ClickView - the digital video solution for schools

We are having this installed in the next few weeks.

Primarily as a teaching aid, for the schools and OU programming. Whether this will stream as HD, I don't know yet, but we will be able to stream the World Cup throughout the college. (If we so choose!)

Thank Post
    Why not just use Windows Media Encoder and Streaming server? It's built into Windows Server 2003 as standard and will let you capture any source and distribute it around a network very easily. We currently use it to broadcast the in school radio every lunch time but I've tried it with video and it works great.
    Rich

Thank Post
    The particular Clickview product that allows TV streaming is the 'Live' box.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast