+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, New Wireless System in Technical; We've just deployed Ruckus (having looked at all sorts of options available to us, including Meru, Extricom, Netgear) into our ...

Thank Post
    We've just deployed Ruckus (having looked at all sorts of options available to us, including Meru, Extricom, Netgear) into our PE department purely for wireless registration.

Having done the various tests, we found that Ruckus provided significantly better signal strength and coverage than the others we trialled, whilst also requiring fewer access points. Where the alternative manufacturers were specifiying 10+ access points to cover our PE area, we found that Ruckus could easily do it with no more (and we suspect we'll actually only put in 4 of the 6 we've bought). As a result of the fewer AP's required, it drives the cost down as well. Ruckus was significantly cheaper than the alternatives we looked at.

Do take Simon up on his offer though for the demo kit, it really opened our eyes to how easy Ruckus is to install and manage. By far the easiest solution I've ever seen or used.

2. Thanks to Iain.Faulkner from:

CPLTD (24th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluetooth View Post
    Alright, so it totally depends on price then, the trial i will get from simon will hopefully show me how good these are

Thanks again guys
    You will NOT be disappointed in Ruckus! We received a trial (also from Simon at CPLTD) and we had a suite of laptops running on it within the hour. It is very very easy to set-up and administer. After our trial, we immediately purchased a kit and had it installed in no time. It really is very very easy - well, you will find that out when you receive your demo unit.

If you want to contact me, I'm more than happy to provide you with my details and you can see it in 'anger' if you like.

As a side note, I purchased our's from CPLTD and I'm glad I did because the two occasions I've needed help. They were resolved immediately!! And it was not a problem with the Ruckus, just my stupidity!

You won't regret it, honestly!

4. Thanks to KWestos from:

CPLTD (24th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    what made you decided against Ruckus Matt and choose a more expensive solution that has less features ?

One of the reasons for going with Meru was their brilliant EzRF Appliance which allows you to rewind the clock for example, teachers are brilliant at coming to see you two or three days after they have had a problem but when you go to check it out its all working fine, this system allows the teacher to come and see me and tell me that she had a problem with a number of clients accessing the wireless network last Wednesday at 2pm then I can access the EzRF appliance a drill down to the particular access point or client computer at the given time and give a correct answer why she may have had a problem e.g. there was lots of interference, or the laptop has a hardware fault. I don't believe that ruckus offers this feature?

Matt

Thank Post
    another one for Ruckus mate - we have 28 AP's here all jobs a good-un

7. Thanks to stariq from:

CPLTD (25th March 2010)

K_T
    Thank Post
    PM sent, Bluetooth ;o)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I really hope you have just not broken the AUP.

It's hammer time!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I would recommend Ruckus also, we have it hear and it is outstanding and very cost effective aswell. I am not knocking any other solutions but for schools/education with the way budgets are at the moment and how great the solution is ruckus ticks all the boxes.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you have any questions, I am very happy with our deployment as are many other members on here.

Good Stuff!

James.

@DB - Thanks

11. Thanks to EduTech from:

MarkPower (6th April 2010)

K_T
    Thank Post
    In all fairness, not sure if you want to block me in this instance...Considering sponsorship for Edugeek...but as Cisco already has ads here and when everyone keeps talking about Meru, Ruckus [excuse me. but I haven't heard of] when their company is Meru, etc...hmmm...then not much luck for my sponsorship, is it?!
    I'm just an IT and gamer geek working for years with Cisco...can't and don't want to get out of it...i rather wish to engage in explanation about how Cisco actually works but i'd be banned straight away...[!!!]

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by K_T View Post
    In all fairness, not sure if you want to block me in this instance...Considering sponsorship for Edugeek...but as Cisco already has ads here and when everyone keeps talking about Meru, Ruckus [excuse me. but I haven't heard of] when their company is Meru, etc...hmmm...then not much luck for my sponsorship, is it?!
    I'm just an IT and gamer geek working for years with Cisco...can't and don't want to get out of it...i rather wish to engage in explanation about how Cisco actually works but i'd be banned straight away...[!!!]
    As said to everyone here before, nothing wrong with other wireless systems we encourage discussion to be honest. If you have an opinion on another wireless system that yes there is no stopping you from saying so aslong as you can backup what you saying, it's when people come on here saying things are really really bad etc but then cant back up what it is they are trying to say.

Yes, as a sponsor you cannot advertise, sell, promote any products/services your company deals with so supppose that makes things difficault for yourself.

Suprised you have not heard of Ruckus/Meru though, might be worth looking at to see what it is they do also.

The reason Ruckus is popular in education is down to the cost of the kit it is very edu friendly and it works very very well!

James.

K_T
    Thank Post
    Thank you for the explanation, James. I really appreciate it.
    I have heard about Meru, just wanted to clarify - apparently it uses only channel 6 [instead of bleeding 1, 6, 11] which I cannot understand can work efficiently [?!] Maybe thinks have changed in the past couple of years. Also I think Aruba is good too but again not sure about the cost.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by K_T View Post
    Thank you for the explanation, James. I really appreciate it.
    I have heard about Meru, just wanted to clarify - apparently it uses only channel 6 [instead of bleeding 1, 6, 11] which I cannot understand can work efficiently [?!] Maybe thinks have changed in the past couple of years. Also I think Aruba is good too but again not sure about the cost.
    It uses a single channel system, not just channel 6 (it. you can set it to any of the channels). This works by flooding the entire area with the same channel. The antennae are then just that - antennae - not AP's. So, think of the controller like the actual AP, with the antennae being geographically spread out and connected via long cables. (obviously, it is a little more complex than that). Extricom works in a similar way.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Search the forum for my report on wireless. Thorough but dumbed down for my governors. So far I have had 3 schools look at the system at my school, an took my report to their governors, so far 2 of them purchased it and the 3rd is waiting for budget to come through I believe.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12