+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Anyone got a HP to Netgear VLAN working? in Technical; I have a tagged port in 2 VLANs running to a netgear FS726T Smart Switch. Problem is things dont seem ...
    Thank Post

Anyone got a HP to Netgear VLAN working?

I have a tagged port in 2 VLANs running to a netgear FS726T Smart Switch. Problem is things dont seem to be working at the Netgear end. I can participate in VLAN 1 but when I try VLAN 2 I cant contact anything. Anyone else got a similar setup?

Thank Post

Re: Anyone got a HP to Netgear VLAN working?

Hi,

Have you checked the encapsulation i.e. 801.1q. Its needs to be the same on both and also the native vlan should be the same as well if its a trunk link (sorry cisco terminology).

So you are saying that you have a VLAN 2 on HP switch and also a VLAN 2 on the netgear SW. The uplink that connects these two switches must have the same tagging mechanism (802.1q - IEEE) and the same vlan.

To test connect a pc to a VLAN 2 port on the HP SW and then connect another PC to VLAN2 port on the netgear switch and see if you can ping.

HTH,

Ashok.

Thank Post

I have made progress as it seems some ports were labeled wrong in the cabinet ops: but now I have a new problem. Basically most of the switches apart from 1 or 2 are connected to the core switch via fiber and they are all HP. In this case there is a copper link running from one of these HPs to this Netgear switch. I have tested the VLANs on the a computer connected directly to the HP switch and as expected I cannot contact anything in VLAN 2 which is what I want.
    Now when I try this from a computer connected to the netgear switch not only is the netgear switch seemingly routing between the vlans it is also routing between a 192.x.x.x range to a 10.x.x.x range 8O . How this is possible ? I am now very confused :?

Thank Post

if you remeber chris carr hill high had the same problem with a copper link between 2 3coms. They ended up having to run another copper cable to create the VLAN. In theory what you are doing should work tho!!

Thank Post

Im amazed more than anything that this £100 switch is routing between IP ranges !

Thank Post

I doubt the £100 is doing layer 3 routing but then again you never know.

As you trying to extend your vlans TO the Netgear switch? What is the uplink to the Netgear switch, is this doing the tagging.

I hate managed switches that likes to do things for you automatically i.e. smart ports etc. I like to just telnet and manually set them up so at least i know what i configured and what has changed.

To be honest VLAN interopertability between vendors had become quite good in the last few years so it should work.

Ash.

Thank Post

The connection from the HP is a Gigabit copper port to a gigiabit copper port on the Netgear. There are two modes of VLAN on the netgear, port VLANs and 802.1q. I ahve set it to 802.1q.
    The HP is tagged for VLAN 1 & 2 on the link. Port 25 of the Netgear is setup the same with all the other ports untagged on VLAN 1 except for port 5 which is an untagged port in VLAN 2.

Thank Post

Problem fixed it wasnt the Netgear in the end. I was using pinging to test the VLANS but because of our network topology and my assumption that our RBC router did not let any traffic between the two networks I got these results.
    I am now reliably informed although ICMP will pass on the router to the admin network no other services will.
    What was happening was I pinged from VLAN 1 and it was going to the default gateway and passing over to the amin network then coming back up my VLANed link to the server I was pinging very annoying.
    Anyway lesson learnt that assumption is the m.................

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread