+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Centrinity FirstClass not working with DHCP IP Address? in Technical; Hi, This is very strange. 8O FirstClass (the schools email/collaboration client) just does not connect to the authorities FirstClass Server ...

Thank Post

Centrinity FirstClass not working with DHCP IP Address?

Hi,

This is very strange. 8O

FirstClass (the schools email/collaboration client) just does not connect to the authorities FirstClass Server anymore when the IP address used by the computer is assigned by DHCP. I tried putting in a manual address and it works fine. With the DHCP IP address, the internet and all other network functions work fine however.

The client has worked fine for months using DHCP before and works in all my other schools? I think it has got something to do with the DHCP server in school. All I can think of is to restart the Windows 2003 Server box that issues IP Addresses.

Anybody else experienced this?

Thanks,
    CM786

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Centrinity FirstClass not working with DHCP IP Address?

IIRC this is an error on the part of IS. If you restart Internet Services it generally fixes it, but it depends on what version of IS and FC you are running. IIRC it is to do with how IS uses the routing table ...

I take it that you don't have a direct support contract with Open Text / Centrinity?

If you do then there are some guidance notes for similar issues on the fc.firstclass.com server in the FirstClass Admins conference.

The other issues could be the DNS is not happy under DHCP and failing to put all entries in ...

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    IIRC this is an error on the part of IS. If you
    The other issues could be the DNS is not happy under DHCP and failing to put all entries in ...
    Sorry for the slow response.

You were right... the DNS Server had stopped running for some reason. Restarted it and all working again.

Thanks for the help!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries

Glad to hear ... If you make it down to BETT you can go and hassle the stand to see what new versions they have available ... it is going to be interesting to see how much they try and push the new version, FirstClass ED, considering they don't have that many examples or resources on the test version of it ... I would be interested to hear the views of another FC Admin.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    Glad to hear ... If you make it down to BETT you can go and hassle the stand to see what new versions they have available ... it is going to be interesting to see how much they try and push the new version, FirstClass ED, considering they don't have that many examples or resources on the test version of it ... I would be interested to hear the views of another FC Admin.
    GrumbleDook, I have been managing our FirstClass server for the last 18 months and both myself and the staff that use it are very happy with it. The main use is e-mail for our staff but is also useful for the sharing of resources etc.

I have had a quick look at the demo of FirstClass Ed and apart from the pretty icons, the functionality was very similar to the existing FirstClass system. As a VLE too me as it currently stands it is not the answer. But as you have said the demo's available do not give a lot away. FirstClass ED was on show at last years BETT but I didn't get the chance to revisit the stall as the person doing the demo was not available when I originally went.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread