+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Censornet and adslcache in Technical; Hello, I have set up and configured the censornet server to connect to the adslcache and it is working great. ...

Thank Post

Censornet and adslcache

Hello,

I have set up and configured the censornet server to connect to the adslcache and it is working great.

Currently the main server is acting as the gateway to the internet through a BT router.

I reconfigured the censornet to use a setup similar to that of the server i.e, ip range from lan on private and ip range from router on public.

When i point the clients to use the new gateway it fails to connect to the internet (but users still need to log in which means the proxy is working).

How can i get this to work? I will soon need to down the server which currently means no internet for everyone?

Does anything else need to be set up?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 1,340 Posts

Re: Censornet and adslcache

What is the gateway setting in DHCP for your clients? the server ip, the censornet ip or the bt router ip?

Try setting it to the censornet ip.

Ben

Thank Post

The DHCP setting is using the server ip as it is still running.

I have configured a machine to use static ip using the censornet private ip as the gateway address.

I have set up the censornet box to use the server as the primary DNS and the client is also using the server as the primary DNS.

I have entered both private ip and public ip into the DNS entries, the public ip being in the reverse lookup.

The machine is also set up to use the censornet private ip as the proxy server on port 8080 and it is also in the exceptions, as stated in the manual.

It does also say to use ips from your lan on both the private and the public but this does not work either when using the censornet as the gateway.

Thank Post

OK. I have set up both the private and public ports to use lan ips and the server as the default gateway.

The client has set the censornet ip as the proxy and the server as the default gateway and they can access the internet.

Then why if censornet is configured the same way as the server the clients can't get the internet.

Thank Post

Try putting your ISPs DNS server into the censornet config. The exceptions on the browser only make the access denied page and other such things display properly. Log onto the console of the CN box and try some pinging of hostnames likke google.com and see if they are resolved. Also make sure the clients access rights are set correctly in the web GUI.
    Make sure your clients arent receiving any DHCP info from the CN box as well (Im assuming something else givivng out addresses) /etc/init.d/dhcp stop to make sure the service isnt running. Bar that sometimes you can get it to spur into life by changing between bridge mode and firewall mode but that was supposedly fixed a while ago.

Thank Post

The DHCP service starts but is not enabled in the setup menu. The server holds the DHCP service.

I have set up the DNS to use the DNS of the ISP and just nned to check it. I cannot remove the cable at the moment to connect it into the censornet box as pupils are online. I will get back with the results...

Thank Post

I looked into how the server had been set up and it was configured so any DNS resolutions that could not be resolved were forwarded to the gateway.

I used this to configure the second DNS server to do the same except send them to the censornet box and then configured the censornet box to use the router as the gateway and also set the Primary DNS on the censornet to the same ip as the gateway as well

I also took an unused switch and connected the servers and the censornet server to this switch and the router connection, giving a direct connection to the gateway from the censornet as well as the server so everyone can access the internet at the moment whether they use the censornet or direct connection through the server. I have checked with the server disconnected and the users connecting through this have no connection and the censornet users do, so its working.

Just some info for others if they are trying the same thing.

Thank Post

Just because you have disabled DHCP on your CN box doesnt mean it isnt causing mischief. You may notice your windows workstations taking a little longer to boot up and you may find that in you event log on the workstation that it list some dhcp nacks from the CN IP . I ahve this problem so I always make sure it is off . You may ofc not have this problem so feel free to ignore my ramblings :P

Thank Post

On the contrary. I always take your excellent advice on board as i do with everyones on this forum as the advice given is always of good quality. This is perhaps why i ask sooooo many questions as the answers are very helpful.

I just hope that one day i can return the favour and maybe answer someone elses question.

By the way i did actually run the command and stop the dhcp service anyway, just forgot to mention in my post, and i also tried to ping bbc.co.uk but it failed. I haven't tried since i got it working however. It could be interesting to see what happens...
    Once again thanks for your support as well as all the other folks on here.

Thank Post

Stop it now your going to make me blush :P

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread