+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, wii and n network in Technical; Hi, I have a Nintendo Wii, and am buying a new wireless N router with a usb N adaptor. I ...
    Thank Post

wii and n network

Hi, I have a Nintendo Wii, and am buying a new wireless N router with a usb N adaptor. I believe the wii isn't N compatible. Is it possible to run a router in N and G mode, so that my pc and laptop can make use of the N capability, but the wii still runs in G mode?

The router is this one: W311R+ Wireless-N Broadband Router-Popular Wireless-N-Tenda

Thanks in advance!

Thank Post
    Form experience, when you set this up you can specify if you want it to work in N mode or N/G mode so that it can be used by your Wii. It wont be as fast as just N mode, but its the best mode to be in if all devices are not n mode.

3. Thanks to Galway from:

rocknrollstar (15th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Great, thanks. As long as you can do both modes at the same time, it'll be fine!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts
    N type networks are only of real use for transferring files within your Workgroup at home rather than improving internet connectivity. Typically most people are on ADSL or Cable which would be less than 10Mbps and G operates at 54Mbps.

6. Thanks to Michael from:

rocknrollstar (17th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanks everyone, all working fine. I wanted to upgrade to N from G partly because I have a linksys pcmcia wireless adaptor, which gets very hot as it's inside the laptop. This eventually stops the wireless due to the heat. Replaced it with a USB and it's much better, and more reliable :_ Wii works fine too, after a reboot (which it doesn't say to do)...

Thank Post
    FWIW 802.11N adaptors will fall back on to G (and IIRC B) mode(s) if N isn't available.

As for B/G/N operating at the same time- it seems to depend on the kit. I've certainly seen kit operating at N speeds that drops down to G the moment a slower device joins.

AFAIK N is a multi-mode standard though, so it should be possible for recent draft-N kit to operate at N and G speeds simultaniously.

I'll go away and check that one.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    N type networks are only of real use for transferring files within your Workgroup at home rather than improving internet connectivity. Typically most people are on ADSL or Cable which would be less than 10Mbps and G operates at 54Mbps.
    That's true, but connection speeds are improving all the time - there are loads of people on "up to 24Mbit" and quite a few on 50Mbit with Virgin. If you've got this sort of speed then you really need an N router to get the full benefit - you'll rarely get anywhere near 54Mbit on a G router and it would be daft to be paying Virgin for 50Mbit internet if you can then only get about half of that through your wireless network.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    That's true, but connection speeds are improving all the time - there are loads of people on "up to 24Mbit" and quite a few on 50Mbit with Virgin. If you've got this sort of speed then you really need an N router to get the full benefit - you'll rarely get anywhere near 54Mbit on a G router and it would be daft to be paying Virgin for 50Mbit internet if you can then only get about half of that through your wireless network.
    trying to stream HD content over a G wifi connection does not work great it drops frames etc so better with an N router - personally the airport extreme with the gigabit port connections on the back ( the newest one ) but thats just me

Thank Post
    ::tries to imagine wanting to stream HD over wireless at home::
    ::fails::

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts
    That's true, but connection speeds are improving all the time - there are loads of people on "up to 24Mbit"
    I suppose if you don't have a Good or Excellent wireless signal then yes it's quite possible, but then again installing a wireless N router would probably give similar results. Re-positioning the router physically can/could make all the difference.

trying to stream HD content over a G wifi connection does not work great it drops frames etc
    To be honest I'd say that's more than likely your internet connection or the website you're streaming content from. Youtube can get slow occasionally at peak times in the evening. To give you an idea HD content streamed from the BBC requires 3500Kbps or 3.5Mbps and I suspect youtube is the same/similar. This is well within limits of wireless G even with a poor signal.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread