+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, VLAN setup in Technical; Knowing nothing about how our network was originally set up due to lack of documentation, I have upgraded the switches ...
    Thank Post

VLAN setup

Knowing nothing about how our network was originally set up due to lack of documentation, I have upgraded the switches and intend to put the curric domain on vlan id 1 and the admin domain on vlan id 2. There is a trust setup between the 2 domains which should allow staff users on the curric domain access to sims .net (I hope).

The problem I have is what to do.

Do I setup the admin ports to a new vlan on the switches? (I think i do that).

How do I setup the vlan id for the server which is plugged into an unmanaged gigabit 3com switch? Should I hope and pray that it is inteligent? or should I plug that into a 100Mbs switch that is managed and add it to vlan id 2?

any advice would be great.

dezt

Thank Post

Re: VLAN setup

I would have thought that you will need 2 new VLANs so that the default VLAN can be replaced. You then need to move the ports into the relevant VLAN, with the ports that connect the switches residing in both VLANs.

You don't mention the type of switches. If they are HP, all the ports used for PCs, etc. should be untagged and the ports connecting the switches together should be tagged.

Any unmanaged switches must be attached to an untagged port (one that is in a single VLAN only) on a managed switch. All the ports on the unmanaged switch then become part of that VLAN.

Thank Post

If you give us a bit more detail we can probably help.

1) Are the two network currently on pysically seperate network infrastructures ?

2) If you want to connect the two in some way. Will this be location based or user based ?

My experiance has been that Vlan work really well if you have manged switched from one suppiler. They can go pear shapped really easily if you don't

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

My experiance has been that Vlan work really well if you have manged switched from one suppiler. They can go pear shapped really easily if you don't
    I agree, vendors seem to implement tagging in slightly different ways and interoperability problems won't necessarily be easy to debug.

How do I setup the vlan id for the server which is plugged into an unmanaged gigabit 3com switch?
    If the server nic supports frame tagging you create virtual IP's on the server. vlan 1 goes to one virtual interface, framevlan2 goes to the other virtual interface

any advice would be great.
    I'd recommend you read a manual for an HP procurve switch - whether or not you intend on using HP, but because HP's documentation is very good and describes vlans in such detail. We have 3com but the documentation is comparitively poor.

Thank Post

I am using 3Com switches.

I think i've almost figured it out, all the ports that connect the admin desktops to the switch are set to VLAN 2, the uplink port is set to VLAN 1 & 2, on the switch where the uplink comes in i've set the port to VLAN 1 & 2. I have added the server to the second switch and added it to VLAN 2.

Does that sound about right?

I'm now looking at adding the e-mail server to that VLAN as well.

Should I put the port that connects to the router for the internet on VLAN 2 as well? I'm guessing so, so the admin staff can use the internet.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread