+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Wireless Transmit Success Rates in Technical; I am just looking through the access points around the school and seeing what kind of signal quality we are ...
    Thank Post

Wireless Transmit Success Rates

I am just looking through the access points around the school and seeing what kind of signal quality we are getting to our stations. There are a load of stats available to look at on the AP's (which are D-Link 7100AP from RM). On a few of our AP's the Recieve Success rate is as low as 2%.

What settings are good indicators of problems which could be present on the wireless infrastructure?

I have just been looking at our faster wireless areas and the Recieve Success rate is at 91%. Is this a good place to start looking for problem areas or are there better ways of diagnosing wireless connection issues?
    Last edited by Jamo; 12th March 2010 at 12:25 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi Jamo

The area where you are receiving low sucess rates, are clients complaining about the slowness of the network?

What is the density of AP's in the 'slow' area. If it is high, this may be beacuse of co-channel interference.

CP

Thank Post
    Well I had awful problems when I was trying to update laptops up in that area, they are ususally ok in small numbers. I have just mapped out all the AP's locations and channels and it seems a few of the channels are overlapping a little too much for my liking.

Will have to manually configure the channels and see how it goes.

Thank Post
    Unfortunate that is typical of cell based (as opposed to single channel) wireless as it is so difficult to get t he channel spacing right with RF being a constantly chaning medium.

I would start by turning off a couple of the AP's in the area and see if that improves the situation. I would also do a scan of the area to check that there aren't any other wireless networks that have popped up and using available channels. I have been back to schools where teachers have brought in a new AP and just plugged it in so they had better wireless, but this screwup up the rest of the wireless.

How long has the system been in ad when did you notice the issues?

CP

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread