+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Ruckus - Easy way to bulk add mac addresses to allow access? in Technical; I'm just trialling ruckus and am so far very impressed. However I am trying to find an easy way to ...
    Thank Post

Ruckus - Easy way to bulk add mac addresses to allow access?

I'm just trialling ruckus and am so far very impressed.
    However I am trying to find an easy way to add an allow list of computers without having to add mac address individually.
    There is a log off recently connected machines and wondered if that could be used somehow?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Blog Entries
    you could use it without for a while and collect the mac addresses using this

Inventory Your network

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    you could use it without for a while and collect the mac addresses using this

Inventory Your network
    I may have missed it in the thread but how does this help reggiep?

@reggiep: I'd be interested to know this too if you find out.

Thank Post
    Why are you wanting to do MAC address filtering? MAC addresses can be spoofed. Set a good key and just use that. You can also authenticate against a local database/AD to be absolutely sure nobody else is gaining access.

What I would do is create a secure key and if you only want specific users to be able to access the WLAN then authenticate against the local Ruckus DB and only add users in there that you want to allow access.

You could also make use of the Dymanic-PSK if you're giving this out to staff.

Thank Post
    Only reason im interested in it is just as an option so i can restrict certain laptops to certain APs. Means I take the decision making out of the client/AP and force certain laptops to use what i want it to. Not planning on implementing this but it may be an option later for certain trouble spots.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apeo View Post
    Only reason im interested in it is just as an option so i can restrict certain laptops to certain APs. Means I take the decision making out of the client/AP and force certain laptops to use what i want it to. Not planning on implementing this but it may be an option later for certain trouble spots.
    You could create different SSID's for different areas and restrict it so the laptops can only connect to these SSID's (by way of access key) thus limiting who can access which wireless AP.

That is the way I would do it otherwise it looks like you have to do it MAC by MAC, I've explored our setup and skimmed the guide and I can't see anything to suggest otherwise.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I may have missed it in the thread but how does this help reggiep?

@reggiep: I'd be interested to know this too if you find out.
    It saves him to manually collect the mac address so he can get a list of them nice and easy. He then can ad them into the system

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    It saves him to manually collect the mac address so he can get a list of them nice and easy. He then can ad them into the system
    That wasn't the issue I don't think, he wanted a bulk upload into Ruckus ZD.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ooohhh

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    You could create different SSID's for different areas and restrict it so the laptops can only connect to these SSID's (by way of access key) thus limiting who can access which wireless AP.

That is the way I would do it otherwise it looks like you have to do it MAC by MAC, I've explored our setup and skimmed the guide and I can't see anything to suggest otherwise.
    Yeah thats another way to go but the school still wants a site wide solution so same ssid everywhere and supposedly be able to move from 1 area to the next and remain connected. Its potentially an issue with certain laptops within certain areas so as i say its only keeping the option in mind as a possible workaround.

Yeah, individual entry is pretty much i've concluded too but if someone know another way that would be useful.

@FN-GM: Perhaps you should read the first post again

Thank Post
    Yeah thats another way to go but the school still wants a site wide solution so same ssid everywhere and supposedly be able to move from 1 area to the next and remain connected. Its potentially an issue with certain laptops within certain areas so as i say its only keeping the option in mind as a possible workaround.

Yeah, individual entry is pretty much i've concluded too but if someone know another way that would be useful.

@FN-GM: Perhaps you should read the first post again
    By limiting which laptops can connect to which AP you're not going to have site wide coverage?

What is the reason for only wanting laptops to be able to connect in certain areas? As soon as they wander out the zone they're connected to and into one covered by an AP they can't access they'll lose connectivity.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    By limiting which laptops can connect to which AP you're not going to have site wide coverage?

What is the reason for only wanting laptops to be able to connect in certain areas? As soon as they wander out the zone they're connected to and into one covered by an AP they can't access they'll lose connectivity.
    LOL yeah i know.. for those laptops it wont work site wide exactly but for others it will.

Those in question arent very mobile i.e. dont generally move out of range of the AP and the reason is that the clients are making poor decisions on which is the best AP to connect to.

We have fiddled and tweaked a great number of settings from ZD and client.. manually assigning quite a bit.

Restricting the laptops is a last resort, better for these laptops to work all the time in the problem area (by forcing it to work with a particular AP) then it work most of the time and randomly cause a class wide issue every now and then.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread