+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, User keeps getting 'Filename too long' and can't logon! in Technical; I'm having a profile problem... When the user 'public' logs onto the pc i keep getting an error that prevents ...
    Thank Post

User keeps getting 'Filename too long' and can't logon!

I'm having a profile problem...

When the user 'public' logs onto the pc i keep getting an error that prevents them from logging on and there is always a filename that is too long that is causing this to happen.

If i log on as administrator and delete the local profile everything is ok for a while. Then eventually it will happen again...

What could it be? And what could i do to sort it out?

Thank Post
    Ahem, a filename is too long. Possibly the user is saving a new Word doc using the default filename, which Word creates using the first line of the document. If the user has no concept of punctuation the filename can be ridiculously long, e.g. the entire document if there are no full stops!

Check the profile for an enormously long file name and, if the above is the cause, educate the user in either: a. renaming on save, or b. elementary punctuation.

Thank Post
    It appears be something to do with Internet Explorer and the filename appears to be a .jpg!!

e.g hKf5RskdflJgkssdfDFGDFGSDFGJgjDFgJdfgkdfgDFgjdfGsd fg-sdfGDFgjaergAERger-gerg-er-gergERggjasdsdffkryIYIEKVM.jpg

What could be happening here?

Thank Post
    Where's the file located and is it 0kb?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marsdenprimary View Post
    It appears be something to do with Internet Explorer and the filename appears to be a .jpg!!

e.g hKf5RskdflJgkssdfDFGDFGSDFGJgjDFgJdfgkdfgDFgjdfGsd fg-sdfGDFgjaergAERger-gerg-er-gergERggjasdsdffkryIYIEKVM.jpg

What could be happening here?
    annyoing website that is cacheing pictures to be awkward?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hakko View Post
    Where's the file located and is it 0kb?
    The strange thing is it says it is stored in the Temporary Internet files folder...but it's not there. The folder just doesn't exist. It's not hidden either.

When i log on locally the only way to resolve the problem is to delete everything in the local profile folder. I've checked the profile stored on the server and there is nothing there.

Should i perhaps delete the server profile too?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,180 Times in 1,615 Posts
    The strange thing is it says it is stored in the Temporary Internet files folder...but it's not there. The folder just doesn't exist. It's not hidden either.

When i log on locally the only way to resolve the problem is to delete everything in the local profile folder. I've checked the profile stored on the server and there is nothing there.

Should i perhaps delete the server profile too?

If you delete the server profile and let a new one be created, that will probably clear the problem. Does this 'public' profile need to be roaming, or would a mandatory profile serve the purpose. Once you've got a mandatory profile working, changes aren't saved to it, so this problem is unlikely to reoccur.

8. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

marsdenprimary (8th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    If you delete the server profile and let a new one be created, that will probably clear the problem. Does this 'public' profile need to be roaming, or would a mandatory profile serve the purpose. Once you've got a mandatory profile working, changes aren't saved to it, so this problem is unlikely to reoccur.
    Hmmm... A roaming profile isn't neccessary. How do i set up a mandatory one? I'll delete it from the server and see how that goes too...

Thank Post

Hmmm

We've started seeing same problem - it's something in the Local Settings \ temp \ Temporary Internet Files \ Content.ie5 \ etc. etc. which doesn't exist. We already run mandatory profiles, and haven't got a Local Settings folder on the server profile, and can't find the file on the local C: drive. Have had 'Delete Roaming Profiles' enabled but doesn't clear local profiles, we have to do that manually. Any other ideas as I'm stumped...?!

Thank Post
    It is as simple as creating the profile, then on the server rename ntuser.dat to ntuser.man... delete any local copy of the profile and Bob's your uncle.

Do follow the suggestions in this thread before making the profile manadtory (A few things - BBC website - benefit from being used before making the profile mandatory!)
    Creating a small mandatory profile

12. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

Thank Post
    It is as simple as creating the profile, then on the server rename ntuser.dat to ntuser.man... delete any local copy of the profile and Bob's your uncle.

Do follow the suggestions in this thread before making the profile manadtory (A few things - BBC website - benefit from being used before making the profile mandatory!)
    Creating a small mandatory profile
    Now I know i asked 'how do i create one' and MANY thanks for the guide...but my real question is: 'What is a mandatory profile??'

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Now I know i asked 'how do i create one' and MANY thanks for the guide...but my real question is: 'What is a mandatory profile??'
    a Mandatory profile is one similar to roaming profile but any changes to the profile during its use e.g browsing history etc will not be copied back to the server on logoff

Toby

Thank Post
    A mandatory profile is roaming profile that doesn't change...

Best explained by Microsoft here: Mandatory User Profiles

bit more in the wiki here: Mandatory Profiles

Our pupils share a single mandatory profile. The advantage is that every time they login all the settings are the same regardless of how badly they muck things up in their last session... and the profile doesn't 'grow' and slow down login times. We use this with redirected "My documents", so every pupil has their own my documents folder.

16. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

Thank Post
    A mandatory profile is roaming profile that doesn't change...

Best explained by Microsoft here: Mandatory User Profiles

bit more in the wiki here: Mandatory Profiles

Our pupils share a single mandatory profile. The advantage is that every time they login all the settings are the same regardless of how badly they muck things up in their last session... and the profile doesn't 'grow' and slow down login times. We use this with redirected "My documents", so every pupil has their own my documents folder.
    Could I just change the current ntuser.dat to ntuser.man? There is a seperate profile for the user causing the problems and a re-direct is in place.

Thank Post
    We have recently started deploying Windows 7 and are getting this error with some users - who are all on mandatory profiles. I can go in and delete the offending temporary internet file..... but does anyone have an actual solution? It looks as if the files are blocking the logoff from completing fully (Local appdata only, no LocalLow folder created, no .dat log files).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast