Its all done via Zero Config.
Are you using windows to manage the wifi on your machine or the manufactures driver. With a lot of manufacturers drivers you have to log on before the wifi will work which is not a lot of good.
Try downloading the driver and unpack it.
Uninstall the package from the laptop.
Now get windows to detect the hardware. When it finds the hardware point to the location of the driver.
Once it is installed, reboot the machine and log onto the laptop locally and try and connect to the access point and put your key in.
Reboot the machine and see if the wifi starts to work after a couple of mins you should be able to see the wifi symbol light.
Try and log onto the domain.
Its all done via Zero Config.
After going back to it now (Been PAT tested) its logging on with no issues. AP has been restarted tho, again because of PAT test. Its like the AP thinks there are 2 laptops who both think they are one and depending on the order they connect refuses one. But under these circumstances I would expect an IP conflict error tho.
Im assuming its the AP causing the issue and not something further up refusing the connection?
I found this helpful when dealing with a similar problem last year....
Troubleshooting IEEE 802.11 Wireless Access with Microsoft Windows
I ran the netsh ras tracing command (as recommended by the above link) and the logs it created were instrumental in solving our problems. It showed an error (I cannot remember exactly what) but Google found the answer for me.
In our case we were getting into a chicken or egg situation where the computer account password for the client PC had expired, so the client PC was trying to initiate a password change but didn't have a viable network connection. Plugging in a cable allowed the password change to complete & then the wireless connection was successful. I changed the domain policy for the no. days before a computer account expires from 30 to something bigger & the problems vanished.
We are using a 3Com managed wireless network with Radius for authentication ....
Last edited by broc; 11th March 2010 at 03:36 PM.
It sounds like we have a similar setup and we have been having odd problems since around half term (15th Feb). For us this is mainly affecting the older access points and we had several short power cuts durign half term so we have been wondering if the APs had been fried.
You mentioning updates made me realise that we did the February patches around that time... perhaps one of them could be the culprit.
I dont have a solution yet, but maybe we are having the same problem....
Further testing has proved me right, there are only 2 laptops affected. Whichever gets its connection first that works and the other wont. And either work fine on their own.
Ill try the net sh bit once the kids go.
Thanks again all
Even better just re-image one of them completely and you should be fine then. To be honest it sounds like you've had a combination of problems which makes it harder to fix.
We have been getting the exact same thing. Some laptops randomly get "Limited or No Connectivity". They will work one hour then not the next. It seems to be some sort of DHCP problem as when effect they get a default IP address. As far as I can see the only change has been some windows updates and its only older laptops that are affected. I gave some of the laptops a static IP address which fixed the problem but some need to be on DHCP due to changeing networks.
CHR1S (11th March 2010)
Thats got to be the simplest solution, default IP! Thanks Pottsey was staring me right in the face all along
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)