+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Wireless workstations? in Technical; I've been asked to look in to the purchase of 100+ PCs and take into consideration the easy relocation of ...

Thank Post

Wireless workstations?

I've been asked to look in to the purchase of 100+ PCs and take into consideration the easy relocation of the machines around the school at short notice.

Power points will always be a factor with regards to location but these are generally already in place. Network cabling isn't. Has anyone implemented PCs with wireless capabilities? I thought that if I went down this route it would reduce one barrier to relocating machines providing my WAPs are up to it.

Any feedback appreciated on the pros and cons of this idea....

Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Would laptops not be easier to move around in short notice? Are all 100 being used in the same location at once? If so most WAPS bulk once you get beyond a 20:1 ratio. If you must go wireless then research into managed systems like Ruckus or 3Com.

I've got a lot of milage out of using 'HomePlugs' to provide network-over-power here instead of relying on wireless.

Thank Post
    Wireless will never ever achieve the reliability and speed of a cabled network. If you can cable them, then do so - even if it through small switches and cables lashed under desks - it'll still be better than wireless anyday.

Mike.

Thank Post
    TMCD35 is correct. Laptops are so cheap now and address the mobility point of view. Afterall, how long would it take to dismantle 100No PC's, monitors, keyboards, etc, compared to laptops.

I would also say that there are a few wireless systems such as Extricom and Meru that are designed to support classroom full of laptops at a time. And with the ratification of N, you can easily achieve log on speeds that would appear the same to users as a wired network. Sure, you can 'lash' a switch and patch leads in (had to do it a ew times as a temporary fix) but before you know it, it becomes a permamantWithout using a swith at each data point, you can only service a single device, where as a WAP can service many more.

CP

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the feedback. Lots to think about.

The idea behind workstations over laptops is that our students have a tendancy to vandalise and steal. An all-in-one PC with protective casing that can be locked down is our preferred choice for the time being. Part of my thinking with wireless was also that it would mean one less cable to be ripped out of the wall by the little cherubs.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread