+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Setting up network from scratch in Technical; If you were to set up a new network from the beginning what order would do create the servers/services in? ...

Thank Post

Setting up network from scratch

If you were to set up a new network from the beginning what order would do create the servers/services in?

I'm looking at creating a test network to mirror as real as I can a working network all using vmware. What would be your first server? Domain controller? then where would you go from here?

I know in a real world situation not many of us would ever need to set up a network from the ground up as many people inherit them from previous people but want to get a feel of where to begin.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Depends on the needs of the organisation you are building it for - if a school
    AD/DNS
    Filtering/ISA Etc
    DHCP
    File Server
    Print Server
    Exchange
    Apps Server (Sims/Integris etc)

Then in no particular order: -
    WSUS/MDT/WDS
    AV Management
    and a few ive proberly forgotton

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Personally i would start with the firewall and routers then core switches then core servers. Then build from there.

Thank Post
    fn-gm its just a test environment at home I'm looking at so I can learn things from the ground up but take on board your info.

Is there anything that can mirror firewalls and internet filtering thats free. I'm guessing if I connect my server with all my virtual machines to my router I can bring in internet access and see how that kind of thing works.

thanks

Thank Post
    Have a look at untangle or smoothwall express - both are free and do filtering, dns control, port control etc.

Thank Post
    This is the order that we setup our new network in, some of it was migrated from the old, but most was a brand new setup so I imagine the steps you want to take are something like:

• Domain controller running Active Directory, DNS and DHCP as the basis of the network - spend time configuring these services to make sure they are 100% correct.
    • Secondary domain controller next (if you're having one.) Ours runs IAS server to provide RADIUS authentication for our wireless system, and acts as a secondary DNS server as well as authentication.
      (Once these are done, you have a fully functional domain you can log on and off of and add machines to.)
    • Storage server and necessary shares for Home folders, shared folders, profiles etc. etc.
    • At this point I did our data migration and user account creation
    • Web filtering was established next and tested
    • Then Exchange server for e-mail
    • SIMS came next along with SQL
    • Next came the Server which handled our virus checker management, which also doubles as a webserver for Eclipse and other intranet services
    • Then our print server which also handles WSUS and our nightly backup.
    • Lastly are other minor non-essential services we have running on a couple of older servers.

This is not the ideal order, as some of this was limited by when I could decomission the old servers and re-use them for their new purpose. If doing it from scratch I would establish the virus checker management and backup systems as early as possible, you want to backup your nice new domain along the way incase anything goes wrong - you'll kick yourself if you don't and something goes wrong.

Of course, this varies a lot depending on what services you're running. Basically the rough guide is

Domain Controllers
    Storage
    Essential Services
    Non-essential services
    Last edited by maniac; 3rd March 2010 at 01:34 PM.

Thank Post
    also just a thought, would you now start looking at using server 2008 or for learning become familiar with server 2003 first?

Thank Post
    A good thing to have handy is the IPs of some DNS server - openDNS for example. We dont have any DNS servers on our RBC grid, which is fun when our internal DNS is down.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread