+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Urgent Fix Needed in Technical; Hi guys I have been redoing our ip address for all our equipment and upgrading the firmware and taking serial ...
    Thank Post

Urgent Fix Needed

Hi guys

I have been redoing our ip address for all our equipment and upgrading the firmware and taking serial number of the devices

Made it so:

Wireless routors start from 10.123.67.01
    Printers start at 10.123.67.30
    IP Cameras start at 10.123.67.50
    Switches start at 10.123.67.100

That way they are all one after each other and not mixed all in total different ip address, mades it much easier and tidier

Have done wireless routors, printers and nearly all the switches now

But have now seemed to have broke the internet and connectivity, from by the looks of it two data boxes

The switches we in those two boxes are HP Procurve 2610 (We have three VLANS, One for admin network, one for student network and the voip network)

All I have been doing is chaning the IP address and changing the system name on them

Have at no problem with the other 18 I have done, doing this

For the IP address I have just been setting the static IP address on the dchp server, not on the actuall switch, but have tried just setting the ip adress on the switch on the data boxes that have the trouble, but still no luck

Any one have any ideas?

Any more info needed just ask

Thanks

I have stoped quite a lot of people working, at if its not fixed asap, i'll be in a lot of trouble

Thank Post
    Hi, Just to clarify; you have changed all the various address without any problems until you changed the address on one particular switch? And now you have no internet access (from either the admin or the curriculum vlans) but you can still logon to the domain?

If so, maybe you’ve upset the default gateway on the clients (probably issued from the dhcp), was pointing to the original address of the switch you changed?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kipling View Post
    Hi, Just to clarify; you have changed all the various address without any problems until you changed the address on one particular switch? And now you have no internet access (from either the admin or the curriculum vlans) but you can still logon to the domain?

If so, maybe you’ve upset the default gateway on the clients (probably issued from the dhcp), was pointing to the original address of the switch you changed?
    That was my thought to, but you beat me to it!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by p-dave View Post
    Hi guys

I have been redoing our ip address for all our equipment and upgrading the firmware and taking serial number of the devices

Made it so:

Wireless routors start from 10.123.67.01
    Printers start at 10.123.67.30
    IP Cameras start at 10.123.67.50
    Switches start at 10.123.67.100

That way they are all one after each other and not mixed all in total different ip address, mades it much easier and tidier

Have done wireless routors, printers and nearly all the switches now

But have now seemed to have broke the internet and connectivity, from by the looks of it two data boxes

The switches we in those two boxes are HP Procurve 2610 (We have three VLANS, One for admin network, one for student network and the voip network)

All I have been doing is chaning the IP address and changing the system name on them

Have at no problem with the other 18 I have done, doing this

For the IP address I have just been setting the static IP address on the dchp server, not on the actuall switch, but have tried just setting the ip adress on the switch on the data boxes that have the trouble, but still no luck

Any one have any ideas?

Any more info needed just ask

Thanks

I have stoped quite a lot of people working, at if its not fixed asap, i'll be in a lot of trouble

double check everything for typo's i had it once where i had mistyped the internal range on my ISA and couldnt understand why part of the DHCP couldnt get on the internet while the other half could!!

Thank Post
    I pretty sure all the settings i done on all the other one are the same I done on these two

ip addresses are not used
    ip addresses are in the range

Im thinking some sort of conflict

In not too sure how this data boxes are connected

I know one is connected to another data box by fiber which from that box it goes to the server room. (The box it connects to, i believe is fine)

Im not too sure on the other other box, thats eithier connected to the box that has the trouble which connects to another box which also has trouble

or a fiber from the server room which connects to another box which also has

Not to sure hows its been setup since our builders cut the fiber, not sure they connected backup the same way

The first one would sound the correct way, has one I configured that it didnt work, reconfigured it and it worked. Was then told some classrooms could not connect to I reboot one of the data boxes (Which has the problem) once this was done the data box I just reconfigured stopped working

So there must be some sort of conflict, but I cannot figure was throught, they defo have different ip addresses

(So its three data boxes not two, sorry)

Thank Post
    Without knowing tge full details I would check tge subnet masks and gateways of the vlans and the routing at the core.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kipling View Post

Most of our switches already had an old incoreect gateway setting applied to them to them (Quite suprised they were working, about six months or more ago the gateway ip address changed)

Just to clarify; you have changed all the various address without any problems until you changed the address on one particular switch

Yes that is correct, the last few switches I done was yesturday, which I didnt have have any network prolem complains then. I was has soon has I changed the settings on this routor. I have beens chainging all the same things.

The weird thing I noicted, is when I had a static ip address for this switch (not set satic ip address on the switch) I didnt get the ip address, like it has done on all the other switches, so I had to set it ip address actually on the switch instead

I didnt check the internet on the actual switches behonest, only on the wireless routor (Well I dont think I did)

Could someone make a list for me for things to check/try, better go in eariler tomorrow then

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by t4ll1f3r View Post
    Without knowing tge full details I would check tge subnet masks and gateways of the vlans and the routing at the core.

sorry! tge?

I dont know much about vlans on how to setup them up

I know that the swith I configured only had the student network vlan enabled, has no other vlan is needed on that percicular switch

How would I check the routing?
    I didnt change anything about that, wouldnt know how to
    Hows its a different ip address would a new route need to be added? everyhow you do that

This is the problem with the company that sets them up dont tell you how to set them if every needed (Like advance settings, we have had loats of problems with vlans on new switches, has they didnt tell us how to set them up)

Thank Post
    Sorry my iPhone seems to like tge instead of the.

The ip address and gateway on your switches should pblybe used for management.
    There could be a management vlan setup that allows all the switches to be addressed on tge same ip range.
    The data on the different vlans needs to be routed if there us a requirement for machines on one vlan to talk to machines on a different vlan.
    All vlans will probably need to have a rput to tge Internet.
    Ports on edge switches are often tagged to particular vlans. Then the ports that link the switches together need to be trunked to allow data from multiple vlans to travel Down tge same bit if wet string.
    You really need to get a print out of all the pragramming in all of the switches. Then create a diagram of how all the switches are connected by which ports then compare this to the programming. Also not tge ip addresses used throughout. Hopefully the mismatches will stand out.

Thank Post
    Sorry should have said "Note the ip"

Thank Post
    ok have got a bit futher with this

Seem that one of the switches had a broken fiber port (Was not lighting up)

So have changed the switch now

But still cant get it working

It could not get a ip address from the dchp server (I created a static address for it)

So I set this to the ip address to static on the switch has well (Same address I set on the dchp server of course)

Still got problem - 169 address form both the wireless router and connected by Ethernet stright into the switch

Even took the static ip address off the dchp server just in case, no luck

So im gussing has it could not get the ip address i set for it from the dchp server, it cant contact it even with a ip set on the actual switch?

Thank Post
    If you switch is not getting a resevered ip address from dhcp server and your wireless router is getting a 169, it more then likely means that your switch is still not connected to the network. IP addressing wouldnt have an impact on this, addressing the switch is usually only for management purposes and shouldnt have connectivity impact like this.

It would seem that the fibre link between the 2 switches isnt working so i would focus around this.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apeo View Post
    If you switch is not getting a resevered ip address from dhcp server and your wireless router is getting a 169, it more then likely means that your switch is still not connected to the network. IP addressing wouldnt have an impact on this, addressing the switch is usually only for management purposes and shouldnt have connectivity impact like this.

It would seem that the fibre link between the 2 switches isnt working so i would focus around this.
    agree. start at layer 1 and work your way up ... Check the cables are in correctly ... then check your interface status (are they up / down / admindown?)

Thank Post
    OK all fixed, found changing the vlan configuration around got it working in the end, seems somehow the settings had changed for it

Thank Post
    what was the noise

oh it was the faint sound of p-dave saying thank **** for that... he can sleep tonight

16. Thanks to round2it from:

speckytecky (26th February 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast