+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, HP Procurve Switches in Technical; Hi Just wondering if anyone can help on this or encountered a similar issue before? We had our network switches ...

Thank Post

HP Procurve Switches

Hi

Just wondering if anyone can help on this or encountered a similar issue before?
    We had our network switches replaced last summer and everything has been running fine.

The only problem i am having now is that i cannot find the ip addresses of the HP Procurve swicthes on DHCP. I have also tried scanning ip addresses on the network and i can find 2 of them which are listed on dhcp but the other 3 dont show up at all!
    The network is running fine, just that i can not get to these switches at all.

Can anyone help on this? These are HP Procurve switches and we have a windows 2003 server!
    Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Why not telnet into them and configure the IP this way?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Why not telnet into them and configure the IP this way?
    If you install spiceworks onto a client machine ( spare one or laptop ) and see if that finds them ?

Still a dhcp reservation and telnetting into them and assigning each on an ip address and do it that way or as per above configure manual / static ip addys.

Thank Post
    they show up in dhcp with no name usually iirc but they do dhcp by default. Other than that write down mac address (its on the back) add a reservation and power cycle them

Thank Post
    I would just plug a serial cable into the console port and talk to them with a hyperterminal or TeraTerm Pro. If you type 'menu' at the command prompt you should get a menu (oddly enough). I'm assuming these are manageable switches.

Thank Post
    Are these assigned an IP via DHCP - have they been assigned static IP's outside of the DHCP scope? This is what we have done as it makes the switches easier to manage.

Thank Post
    These were setup by a firm so not sure but under DHCP i have
    Under Scope ---->Reservations the switches are on there with their IP addresses but whenever i try to access them via IE, only 2 of them responds and these are listed under DHCP as active and the others are listed under DHCP as inactive!

Its almost as if they lost the original IP address and picked up some random ones but they are not listed under DHCP.

Hope this makes sense

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by keithu View Post
    I would just plug a serial cable into the console port and talk to them with a hyperterminal or TeraTerm Pro. If you type 'menu' at the command prompt you should get a menu (oddly enough). I'm assuming these are manageable switches.
    This,

You should have your switches on static IPs anyway.

Thank Post
    What model switches are they? there's not a remote chance that they could be unmanaged ones could they?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This is easy to solve do they have a serial port? This will be on the front to the it is ether a 9 pin d-sub or on an RJ45 it will say console next to it. If you plug into this you enable or disable the ip interface and web interface.

Thank Post
    Most ProCurve stuff is managable. We've got our whole site full of them and I need to do the same as the OP and static them all (long history of network mismanagement). An SNMP scanner (SoftPerfect Network Scanner: fast and free network scanner - it's freeware) will find them all and this utility works a treat! The SNMP device name will appear as something like this...

Code:
    ProCurve J4904A Switch 2848, revision I.08.98, ROM I.08.07 (/sw/code/build/mako(ts_08_5))
    I'm starting to manage the networks IP assignments using this as a guide for what addresses are taken and not taken. I can at least start to rearrange my static IPs into different groups.
    Last edited by Tunster; 3rd February 2010 at 09:16 AM. Reason: grammar!

12. Thanks to Tunster from:

bossman (3rd February 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    This,

You should have your switches on static IPs anyway.
    meh im happy with reserved ips i dont believe in actual statics for anything other than servers as ive had to change things too often (2 networks and only the top 32 ips on curriculum can see the admin network and schools wanting sims on teachers pcs) and its easier to change a reservation and force a reboot imo

Quote Originally Posted by marvin View Post
    These were setup by a firm so not sure but under DHCP i have
    Under Scope ---->Reservations the switches are on there with their IP addresses but whenever i try to access them via IE, only 2 of them responds and these are listed under DHCP as active and the others are listed under DHCP as inactive!

Its almost as if they lost the original IP address and picked up some random ones but they are not listed under DHCP.

Hope this makes sense
    id reboot them (which you need to do for the cable anyway iirc. I have had hp switches that work fine but management interface dosent respond until a reboot as if it goes ive nor been used in ages im going to sleep)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    meh im happy with reserved ips i dont believe in actual statics for anything other than servers as ive had to change things too often (2 networks and only the top 32 ips on curriculum can see the admin network and schools wanting sims on teachers pcs) and its easier to change a reservation and force a reboot imo
    What about when you have a powercut and the switches (obviously) come up far quicker than the DHCP server? They may pick up their last IP, they may not. Maybe this is how your problem has come about?

Have you powercycled them to see if they then pick up their original address? Other than that you'll have to grab your netbook (see they can be useful) and a usb-rs232 adaptor and get cracking

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    What about when you have a powercut and the switches (obviously) come up far quicker than the DHCP server? They may pick up their last IP, they may not. Maybe this is how your problem has come about?
    just reboot them again. Powercuts are for me rare enough to not worry about that much and its not like i log into the switches on a daily basis i tend to log in set igmp and tree spanning then never go in again (might on occasion flash upgrade the firmware but that i do try and do with a cable if at all possible but switches are usually in server room and server usually has a serial port just need to unplug the ups serial lead for 10 mins)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    just reboot them again. Powercuts are for me rare enough to not worry about that much and its not like i log into the switches on a daily basis i tend to log in set igmp and tree spanning then never go in again (might on occasion flash upgrade the firmware but that i do try and do with a cable if at all possible but switches are usually in server room and server usually has a serial port just need to unplug the ups serial lead for 10 mins)
    But you're making more work for yourself. Also, with a DHCP switch; you may create issue if another device comes along and takes the same address (DHCP can be that stupid!) or there's a static IP from a student laptop that conflicts and knocks out any management on it. That in turn stops the student working as well.

We've never had any problems so far with power cuts as they normally come back with the same address. Just for management sakes, I'd rather place all the switches in our non-DHCP static zone (which I'm very slowly doing so). Makes upgrading them all easy with a TFTP server and knowing the location. Why use a RS-232 cable to upgrade when you can do it at the comfort of your tech machine and telnet via IP?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast