+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, HP Procurve Switches in Technical; Guys, can we wait till we know if Marvin has got his issues sorted before we turn this into a ...

Thank Post
    Guys, can we wait till we know if Marvin has got his issues sorted before we turn this into a debate thread.

Thank Post
    Usually a reboot will get the procurve to pick up an address again. On occasion I've had to do a factory reset before it would pick up a dhcp address. Once I've found them I switch it to a static address.

If reboot doesn't work then you can always telnet in via the serial port and see what it's up to.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    Usually a reboot will get the procurve to pick up an address again. On occasion I've had to do a factory reset before it would pick up a dhcp address. Once I've found them I switch it to a static address.

If reboot doesn't work then you can always telnet in via the serial port and see what it's up to.
    And that serial cable is like gold dust. Can never let it leave my sights as one of my other colleagues would more than likely nick it and then it would be missing when I need it most!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    just reboot them again. Powercuts are for me rare enough to not worry about that much and its not like i log into the switches on a daily basis i tend to log in set igmp and tree spanning then never go in again (might on occasion flash upgrade the firmware but that i do try and do with a cable if at all possible but switches are usually in server room and server usually has a serial port just need to unplug the ups serial lead for 10 mins)
    And when one of those switches has gone potty as the result of the powercut and you've got 30 switches to run round and powercycle before you can even start troubleshooting the problem...

Its not just recommended practise for the sake of it

Thank Post
    Now few things kicks in when you say powercut!

Last week we had we had to switch the server off due to the some emergency electrical work going on in the building. By the time the power was back, the switches were back on before the server but i dint notice any of this as the network was running fine.

But if i remember right, when i restarted teh server, i switched off 2 of the switches and turned them back on as the server was coming back up! And these are the switches that are actually showing up as active on DHCP and i can get to the login console via ip address.

Now if i am correct, if i restart the other 3 switches after school today, i should be able to see them under DHCP as active?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marvin View Post
    Now few things kicks in when you say powercut!

Last week we had we had to switch the server off due to the some emergency electrical work going on in the building. By the time the power was back, the switches were back on before the server but i dint notice any of this as the network was running fine.

But if i remember right, when i restarted teh server, i switched off 2 of the switches and turned them back on as the server was coming back up! And these are the switches that are actually showing up as active on DHCP and i can get to the login console via ip address.

Now if i am correct, if i restart the other 3 switches after school today, i should be able to see them under DHCP as active?
    Seems like a good bet, yes

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    And when one of those switches has gone potty as the result of the powercut and you've got 30 switches to run round and powercycle before you can even start troubleshooting the problem...

Its not just recommended practise for the sake of it
    dont think ive got any school with more than 5 switches in and most have 3 at the most almost always in the same rack. I do see your point i just dont like static ips if i can avoid them

Thank Post
    A restart of those switches didnt do the trick!

Thank Post
    try a factory reset - using 2 pens - hold clear and reset buttons in - release reset and then release clear - i think - check manual

Thank Post
    Would i not lose all it settings by reseting the switches?

Thank Post
    Do these switches use the 192.168.2.10 address like the Procurve 1810 switch I just installed?

Thank Post
    Would i not lose all it settings by reseting the switches?
    Factory reset - yes
    Normal reset - no

However, was the switch configured when it was first installed? Most of the time, nothing apart from the IP settings and some minor configuration (like spanning tree) is done when first installed. As long as you don't have multiple links in between the same set of switches, a factory reset won't do any harm. It'll pick up a new DHCP address as that's the factory default setting.

Thank Post
    Marvin, do you have a serial cable, I might be able to post you one if you don't.

Thank Post
    I'll check if i have a serial cable tomorrow and the exact type of switch it is!
    We had it setup as it has dual link between some switches so i wouldnt risk a reset.

Thank Post
    I'll check if i have a serial cable tomorrow and the exact type of switch it is!
    We had it setup as it has dual link between some switches so i wouldnt risk a reset.

Alright the switches are HP Procurve 1810G-24 web managed Gbit switches , just checked the quote i had.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast