+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, HP PCs on CC3 Network in Technical; I'm looking to move away from having all RM workstations on our CC3 network because in some situations price is ...
    Thank Post

HP PCs on CC3 Network

I'm looking to move away from having all RM workstations on our CC3 network because in some situations price is the over-riding issue (although in others the benefits of the RM One for example are more important than price).

I've been looking at some HP machines and want to know if anyone has built them onto CC3 and if so their experiences of doing so.

The particular machine I'm looking at is:

HP Compaq Business Desktop dc7600

Thank Post

Re: HP PCs on CC3 Network

I would go for this Its a little more expensive but it comes with a 17" TFT

Thank Post

I can recommend the HP model - just bought a load but not to go on a CC3 network.

From what I know of CC3 at one of our primary schools I cannot see why there would be a problem.

Perhaps you could get one on a trial to find out for sure - HP are usually pretty good at things like that.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Getting one on loan would be a good idea to see if it will build on with the RM drivers. Try and get a PC with a popular NIC like Realtek or Intel Pro to save you messing around with making custom build disks.

Thank Post

With regard to the 17ins comment, we're just looking for base units as we recently bought Neovo hard-glass monitors for the room.

The machine I listed has an Intel Pro 1000 MT Gigabit NIC, has anyone built machines with this card onto CC3 with / without custom build disks?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts

As long as you have supported nic drivers (we prefer realtek 8139) the rest is pretty easy. We have built all types of workstations on our CC3 network no bother but not HP we have tended to go for small form atx units with high spec 2.8 - 3.2 P4s with 1 Gb ram 80Gb hdd 533Mhz fsbs also neovo 17" hard glass TFT monitors which really look the bizz.
    We recently paid £320 for each unit with 17" TFT neovo included and they really look good and work fantastic. If you need to know where we obtained these from, with 4 years RTB warranty just PM me ok.

Have a look at these: (reason we have them on the top is for ease of access and also H&Safety, kids catching their legs on the units if underneath in brackets)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts

Tops also cause H&S Issues, child / teacher leans on the edge of case and tipples it over onto someones fingers, ouch! Even with the silly little feet it has, H&S don't like or approve of them on desks in that format. I know this as i just speced a room out with some cases that looked very similar to it, the school loved the idea, but the governors rep for H&S said hmm not sure about the design, consulted the LEA H&S advice team and they said nope they are not allowed unless you put screws through each foot to fasten it to the desk. They must be on the floor or undermounted in a box. So we are changing plans.

Also why space them to make "booths", ours used to be like that and people hated it, said the kids, despite your best supervisory efforts, can hide in them and could start gettin up to mischiefe, so we have it 2 by 2 now, so instead of PC Mon PC Mon PC Mon, we have PC mon mon PC PC mon mon PC PC mon mon PC etc... you get the drift. Makes more room for books etc and allows easy worksheet sharing, thus reducing photocopying etc...

Thank Post

This spacing may cause you a problem come online exams though!

Has anyone been given the requirements for online exams by their exams secretaries yet?

The computers have to be spaced out or screen from each other to stop collaborative working plus a whole host of complications about what students are or are not allowed to have access to internet and network drive wise.

But that is for another discussion!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

limbo: The word we have about spacing is that it won't be a problem as the questions are different for each person sitting the test.

Thank Post

These build fine to CC3 we have used many HP machines and these are just as good as the rest. smart client them takes no time to get up and ready!

Thank Post

Well I've just received two HP dc7700 Minitowers for use in the Server Room and as a way to test if they are OK on CC3.

I've tried making a custom build disk for it and tried standard build disks but not no avail.

If anyone has any experience (or drivers) of building HP machines like this onto CC3 I would be very grateful for any tips. The onboard ethernet is Intel 82566DM.

PS. I should also point out that I've been able to use SmartClient but what if the disk fails etc.? Which is why I need to be able to build from floppy as well.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread