+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Randomly "losing" printers in Technical; One day all my printers are working - the next day one by one they are dropping off the network! ...
    Thank Post

Randomly "losing" printers

One day all my printers are working - the next day one by one they are dropping off the network!

First the colour printer (HP K550), print queue showed multiple docs waiting to print but printer stayed dumb. Could ping, could send test doc through web interface but nobody could get anything to print. So I uninstalled from the server and re-installed the driver, now I could print but nobody else could. On a user login I deleted the printer and re-established a link to the printer and it worked - once. The next time the user wanted to print, same issue as before doc stuck in print queue showing an error.

Then the photocopier (Canon iRc 4080) did the same thing. All this was compounded by another photocopier engineer trying to install a new copier (Xerox this time). Currently have three printers/copier/scanners non-operational and I don't know why.

Anyone got any suggestions as to why this should be happening and what I could try to resolve it please?

bio
    Thank Post
    Are the printers in a special VLAN ? There could be a faulty networkcard in that vlan thats cause bad packets to be spread by broadcasting. Thus chewing up network resources. Seen that a couple of times.

bio..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by leco View Post
    OFirst the colour printer (HP K550), print queue showed multiple docs waiting to print but printer stayed dumb. Could ping, could send test doc through web interface but nobody could get anything to print.
    I had an HP 2600 do this. Didn't get as far as reinstalling the driver on the server, I just threw it out. If the printer's network card is on the fritz could it be spewing random traffic on to the network and affecting other printers too - is it still plugged in and switched on?

All this was compounded by another photocopier engineer trying to install a new copier (Xerox this time).
    Are you trying to install all of these on one printer server? What is that server running - Windows Server 2003, 2008, 2008R2, something else? I had a problem a month or two ago where I was trying to figure out why one printer conking out stopped all on the networking:

One inkjet printer breaking stops all from working

My conclusion from that thread was that seperate printers of the same model (or closly related model, like the HP 1100s / 1200s) all use the same driver, or set of shared libraries. Printer drivers aren't separated well in memory in Server 2003, although seemingly Server 2008 R2 has some features to address this (don't know what they are).

You could move your server to 2008 R2 (although your problem is with printers of different manufacturer, so I doubt its a shared driver/library issue, but I could be wrong there), install the Universal HP Printer Driver instead of the dedicated HP K550 one, or try disabling bi-directional support for the driver.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Thanks David. I've taken the Xerox off the server; put all of the other printers onto Standard tcp/ip ports instead of HP ones; turned off bi-directional. Result all back to where it was before the new photocopier came

I hadn't thought that the server might be overloaded, it's a server after all, but there we are. I've learnt something new, which is all good. Now all I have to do is figure out where the Xerox is to go. It's a new model so maybe there will be 64bit drivers and I can put it on my 2008 server. Have to wait until tomorrow as I'm busy elsewhere this aft.

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by leco View Post
    I hadn't thought that the server might be overloaded
    Not overloaded - like you say, something desribed as a "server" should have no problem being a print server, it's just that Windows Server 2003 seems to have some issues about keeping (often, it would seem, poorly written) printers drivers properly separate from each other. Check the disk / memory / CPU / network stats on your server, but I doubt any of those are a problem.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    When I get back in tomorrow I might just check that all the working printers are on separate ports. Now I come to think of it there have been times when one or other of them have dropped. Might be the same issue just highlighted by trying to add another one. Just another piece of "ammunition" when arguing for a new server

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread