+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Network Upgrade in Technical; Hi All We have decided to upgrade our network switches at the moment we have HP 4108s and HP 2650s. ...

Thank Post

Network Upgrade

Hi All

We have decided to upgrade our network switches at the moment we have HP 4108s and HP 2650s. We would like to have some workstations connected over gigabit, our backbone at the moment is gigabit fibre. We would like to stick with hp has anyone had any experince of newer hp switches, what would you recommend. Does anyone know the best places to get hp switches at the lowest cost because budget is not huge, we are happy to have used equipment.

Thanks

Carl

Thank Post
    My Preffered Switches are the HP 1800-24G

Manageable, Reliable, Easy to Configure and Maintaine and the cost is Very Reasonable for this type of switch

I Usually Purchase from Insight UK. They are always very cost effective and are able to get you Advice and Support from the manufacters on the phone for any questions you may have.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We have a 5406zl which can handle 10gbit connections (although we aren't using it for that as yet).

Not had any experience of actually running 10gbit yet, as we haven't the need (our 1gbit connections are only utilised to about 20% maximum).

The 1800-24G doesn't have a slot for a 10gbit port.

The reason I talk of 10Gbit connections so much is that it is kinda pointless doing 1Gbit to the desktop without the backbone to support it. Also, remember if you want this, you may also need to up the speed of your server connections.

Finally, the fibre optic cable itself may only be able to handle 1Gbit. You need OM3 to handle 10Gbit.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Any HP Procurve managed switch is nice, and Simon at CP has done them at very good prices before!

Thank Post
    Hi

Thanks for the help I am looking at getting 5412 with 10gig modules. Hp have a new 10gig module that supports 62.5 fibre so hopefully won't have to upgrade fibre. Thing problem we have is we can only afford to get our main switch upgraded with modules ready for 10gig does anyone know if the modules are able to slow to 1gig, can I have a old 1gig module opposite end of a new switch with a 10gig module.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carlday View Post
    Hi

Thanks for the help I am looking at getting 5412 with 10gig modules. Hp have a new 10gig module that supports 62.5 fibre so hopefully won't have to upgrade fibre. Thing problem we have is we can only afford to get our main switch upgraded with modules ready for 10gig does anyone know if the modules are able to slow to 1gig, can I have a old 1gig module opposite end of a new switch with a 10gig module.
    Regardless of the module that HP can provide, the issue is the wavelength that 10Gbit travels at, and the fact that on 62.5/125 fibre, it will only travel for about 30m in total. Optical Fiber and 10 Gigabit Ethernet – part 3 ? Everything about Ethernet @ 10Gea.org

Also, no, you have to have matched modules at each end of a fibre - you can't mix 10Gbit and 1Gbit.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the answer. I knew that we could only go 30m on the 62.5 which is ok in some places but saying that do you think it would be more benifical to upgrade fiber everywhere.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carlday View Post
    Thanks for the answer. I knew that we could only go 30m on the 62.5 which is ok in some places but saying that do you think it would be more benifical to upgrade fiber everywhere.
    I'd say so, yes. I've got plans in place here to do that with the 5 older fibres we have remaining. I believe that we're going to blitz it this next financial year.

One thing to investigate is pre-terminated fibre runs. So, rather than paying someone to come in, run fibre and terminate on-site, buy it pre-terminated and run it yourself. Should save a lot of cash.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread