+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Storage for 12,000 users in Technical; I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong but what will the kids need to store? Surely most of the ...
    Thank Post

Re: Storage for 12,000 users

I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong but what will the kids need to store?

Surely most of the input by kids will be stored as text, spreadsheet or database. I can't see them having to store large graphics or movies as that would be part of the lesson set up by the teachers.

1GB would be more than enough for that. The larger quota would need to be where the resources are held.

Take 500MB from each kid for resources and you'll probably get it right. Remember you can always increase it later It would probably take a while for schools to get resources and for the system to get going anyway.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

LTO3's will do 400Gb uncompressed and 800Gb compressed, assuming a 2:1 ratio

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by john
    LTO3's will do 400Gb uncompressed and 800Gb compressed, assuming a 2:1 ratio
    Yeah that's whay i've read as well. However not sure if that ratio could be matched so realistically it should be around 600-670Gb i think.

Ash.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

I should try it for you as I have an LTO3 drive but I think I would have to back up most of my servers onto it over the network to get 800GB of data, we have a lot of data but its well spread out but i suspect if i stuffed it all together we would have about 800gb

Thank Post

I've been looking at the Dell tape backup solutions, the prices aren't too bad, obviously were not going to have 12TB of data straight away and their backup hardware is expandable so we could just add more drives as more data gets added.

Thank Post

What size kids are you looking at? If they are doing GCSE or A level course work in Music (Tech), CDT, Art or similar subjects, then they will use LOTS of storage. If they are doing essays in History or English, much lower levels needed...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts

Highly unlikely you will ever get a 2:1 compression ratio.

Ben

Thank Post

12,000 users throwing around 1GB or more of data doesn't strike me as one of those d-i-y things. I'd want someone with relevant expertise worrying about bandwidth, backups, load balancing & redundancy (e.g. two copies of the data in different data centres).. oh and getting outages fixed in the middle of the night.

Thank Post

Just a quick note, don't know if it is relevent and you can tell me where to go! lol But is there any room for expansion going to be built into this projection for storage needs?

Robert!

Thank Post

You are starting to move into 'Enterprise' storage solutions with these sorts of numbers and as has been pointed out by PiqueABoo these are not for the faint hearted. You really want products engineered for high availability with built-in redundancy, fault tolerance & 24x7 engineering support & that goes for backups too. You should be looking for integrated solutions from suppliers such as DELL,HP, IBM & others who have experience of running these sorts of storage farms.

I would concentrate on defining what you need in terms of capacity, availability, numbers of concurrent users, anticipated data throughput, hours of operation, backup windows (or concurrent backup?), future growth potential, and leave the choice of equipment to potential suppliers as part of a tendering process.

To do it right will cost a lot of money, so let the suppliers take the risks, and don't be afraid of asking them to provide customer references or even loan equipment. Any decent supplier should be able to offer both.

Thank Post

If I understood the original post correctly, this space is for a VLE for the LEA, and not primary user space... (which is the responsibility the school surely?)

even with broadband, upload speeds of people's home internet isn't going to be often more than 440kbps... this will seriously limit the amount of data they can put up on the system.

Most kids here at rms (secondary) use about 150mb on average in their user files (including large publisher files), so I would say thats a better figure to be working with.

I don't even have 1gb on my hosted webspace!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

VLE is fast becoming primary user space in a lot of places.
    SMB is old hat these days.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

And all together folks ....

It is not just a VLE ... it is a Learning Platform ... as well as being a place of resources it is there for independant learning and personalised learning ... needing to be Web 2.0 functional to allow users to add in the own resources ...

Now *this* is why you need 1GB per user.

Thank Post

Exactly why aren't the schools in the LEA doing their own VLE, like us in hampshire have to. (hampshire may provide one, but it's probably 6 times the prince of anything else, and slow to boot!)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

Because some may not have the expertise, the time or structure.

For a number of projects like this it can be easier to just buy into a pre-created system that you can work with ... changing a few ways that your school works (often a back-door tactic to get staff used change ... "We have to change as this is how county have it set up ... but we can learn to adjust") ... for some schools this means too much change and it works out better to have a system that fits around your school.

This is just one of many examples why having someone in SLT with good project management skills is handy ... the ability to plan it from both sides and then sit down with others to decide the most relevant route to take when based on impact on learning, purchasing cost, staffing cost and whole school development.

Pretty much any school can stick Moodle in ... it isn't rocket science (heck, *I* can do it) but the difficult bit is getting staff and students to use it. That means creating resources ... even changing how the curriculum is delivered.

We use a VLE (FirstClass) and we are still a long way from where we need to be ... but that is not down to the VLE chosen ... but waiting for the next academic year to make the next set of changes in how the curriculum is delivered, changing Teaching & Learning strategies ... really targetting staff and students on independant learning ...

It would be wrong for me to say that it is not the technology ... it is not *just* the technology but how you use it ... and making sure you choose the one the can be used best for your school.

Then there is the personalisation I mention earlier too ... that sort of thing needs to come from the school ...

And we wonder why it is taking so long to get the VLE stuff out of Becta?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast