+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Technician Numbers in Technical; Originally Posted by Disease 450 Computers and Laptops 1200 Staff and users. Nothing is contracted out to external companies we ...
    Thank Post

Re: Technician Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Disease
    450 Computers and Laptops
    1200 Staff and users.

Nothing is contracted out to external companies we install all network and AV items. We do the PAT testing and deal with anything that plugs into a socket. Also do Door security system and on site intruder removal as well as testing the fire systems.

Network Manager (me), Jake and Jason thats it.

Thank Post

1 Systems Manager * 1 Technician. 300 Computers including laptops and 9 servers.

Thank Post

98 PCs & laptops in primary schools
    Six servers
    Development and maintance of two completely different websites
    Plus all usual stuff (whiteboards etc.)

This is a mixture of both schools that I work for. There is just me and my network manager (who also works at both schools but only spends half a day at each per week due to the masses of other schools he works for).

I think I have it easy compared to you all.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mrforgetful
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder
    NM, Network Engineer, 4 technicians

700-750 pc's/laptops
    5 servers (looking at everyone elses numbers makes me think we dont have enough!)
    1900-2000 users
    I'd love so many Technicians, I could send them round to check all the rooms equipment was working ok and nice and neat and tidy...pipedreams.
    That user base and number of workstations would have a tech support department of at least 10 in the commercial sector.

It's not really pipedreams, it’s a sensible number.

Thank Post

Me, my colleague, neither of us are meant to be Network Manager, he's been suspended for over 2 years.
    How can you be suspended for 2 years. Surely contract would be terminated even before 1 year is up??

Sorry dont want to be nosey but I cant understand how someone could be on a disciplinary of such a serious nature for so long.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    800 users pupils + staff.
    275 PCs total.
    7 Servers.

Network Manager (Bossman) & Me.

On top of general IT stuff, we also have responsibility for the electronic door security system, and anything else that plugs in. This also recently included programming the two separate bell systems when the period times changed.
    Plus RM CC3 - that's half a tech! :P

950 (l)users + staff
    300 PCs total
    8 Servers
    web stuff, AV, anything with a plug etc, per lesson registration

About to become a collective of 2 - ass tech wages really

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Chafftech
    Me, my colleague, neither of us are meant to be Network Manager, he's been suspended for over 2 years.
    How can you be suspended for 2 years. Surely contract would be terminated even before 1 year is up??

Sorry dont want to be nosey but I cant understand how someone could be on a disciplinary of such a serious nature for so long.
    I don't know much about it as we don't get (officially) told, but something like.

He was suspended two years ago (for something I won't go into). He span that enquiry out and didn't turn up for the final meeting when the decision of the outcome would have happened. He then started an enquiry into how he'd been treated, which he lost. He had another enquiry into how that was carried out. Which he lost. We're now about back to the original thing the suspension was for.

That's the basic gist. Essentially he's spun it out while management have 'sought legal recommendations on how to procede' at ever turn.

Rumour has it that said suspended person has had other work anyway, which is a sackable offence, but then, if management had balls to sack him they'd have done it to start with.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Disease
    and on site intruder removal
    Haha. Sorry.... I have to ask. What experience did you have that caused you to say this?

Thank Post

Hehe..sadly nothing "fun". We get alot of "intruders" from other very very nearby schools. Kids in this city are somewhat violent to say the least and often decide its a good use of time to head into nearby schools and steal bikes, punch teachers, jump students etc.

Sadly so far, as soon as they encounter us they leave, usually saying "oh yeah...yeah mate, look at you, think you're a hard man eh" at us

Thats the usual, although we have also had some adults come onsite to try and steal either equipment, or students

Thank Post

Thanks everyone, especially the pointer to Becta's site although in typical goverment fashion a cursory glance shows that recommended numbers of technicians are rather ambigious to say the least, well what else would we expect from them. :P

Thank Post

[quote="mrforgetful"]
    Quote Originally Posted by "mrforgetful"
    [/quote

I don't know much about it as we don't get (officially) told, but something like.

He was suspended two years ago (for something I won't go into). He span that enquiry out and didn't turn up for the final meeting when the decision of the outcome would have happened. He then started an enquiry into how he'd been treated, which he lost. He had another enquiry into how that was carried out. Which he lost. We're now about back to the original thing the suspension was for.

That's the basic gist. Essentially he's spun it out while management have 'sought legal recommendations on how to procede' at ever turn.

Rumour has it that said suspended person has had other work anyway, which is a sackable offence, but then, if management had balls to sack him they'd have done it to start with.

Thanks for the reply.
    Wow that is really strange. They should have really sacked him if they have something serious but then thats not for me to say I suppose as I am not privy to all info.

Sorry to all about going off topic.

Thank Post

Thanks for the reply.
    Wow that is really strange. They should have really sacked him if they have something serious but then thats not for me to say I suppose as I am not privy to all info.

Sorry to all about going off topic.
    The reason there wasn't a straight forward sacking was because he accused them of racism if they did.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thanks everyone, especially the pointer to Becta's site although in typical goverment fashion a cursory glance shows that recommended numbers of technicians are rather ambigious to say the least, well what else would we expect from them.
    Well the best way to estimate if you require more human resources is to look at the call volume statistics in your helpdesk software. At the most basic level just see if you/your team are fixing more faults than are being requested on a per week/month basis.

Thank Post

1300 Students
    130 Staff

375 Workstations
    90 laptops

Me (Network Manager) and one Technician who's main job is the school website.

We are currently building an brand new sixth form centre which will require another 200+ Machines. Thankfully we are soon to advertise for another technician.

We also seem to deal with everything with a plug on the end including, AV, Photograhy, Lighting and Sound for productions etc, etc, etc. And for some reason we also seem to get landed with about 2 laminators a week that we are expected to fix!!

At present I am currently doing the job of both a Technician and a Netowork Manager, hopeffuly when the new technician starts I will be able to make a start on all of the paperwork!!!

Thank Post

1650 users

760 clients
    14 servers
    56 whiteboard projectors

1 NM, 2 technician

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast