+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Wireless Domain Logon in Technical; Ok everytime I think I've got this sorted and reliable it's not. We had to replace most of the keyboards ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,682 Times in 1,497 Posts

Wireless Domain Logon

Ok everytime I think I've got this sorted and reliable it's not.

We had to replace most of the keyboards on a laptop trolley so I thought I would also reimage them and reconfigure them to authenticate onto our WPA-Enteprise network via Elektron radius server.

Each one was tested as it was imaged and worked fine. Today we try them out with a whole class and several failed to connect to the wireless.

I have the wireless security policy all set up correctly. I really want to use the windows client to have in managed via gpo rather than use something like the Intel Pro Set one because not all our wireless clients are intel so it makes sense to have one working solution for all of them.

How does everyone else that is using wireless have it set up and how reliable are you finding it?

Just read today that you can only configure the wireless policy GPO for WPA2 from a machine running vista or longhorn not from a 2003 SP1 server that's very handy microsoft.

***Edit***
    Just to say that I set the laptops up the same as the other machines so it has to have a permanent wireless connection to load things such as the desktop. The students are on mandatory profiles.
    I was wondering if I should set them up so the laptops have their own desktop so that if the wireless fails once they are logged on then they can still run programs from the desktop shortcuts allthough I suppose they can then use the start menu ones but won't be able to save if they can't access their h: drive.

hmmmm
    ***Edit***

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Wireless Domain Logon

WPA2 will work on XP if you install the patch.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

And your wifi drivers support WPA2. This second point is likely to be the stumbling block you're encountering.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,682 Times in 1,497 Posts

Re: Wireless Domain Logon

Hi Geoff,

Ok I think I may have confused the issue by throwing in the comment about WPA2 I am not trying to use WPA2 only WPA.

I had seen the patch and presumably your access point has to support WPA2 if you want to use it as well.

Also wondering if people have set up their own wireless regarding site survey and signal crossover from one ap to another channel speration etc.. or have just paid a company to do it.

Cheers,

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread