Wireless Networks Thread, Disaster Recovery Questions in Technical; I am the IT Technician at a school in Merseyside. I am also doing a degree in IT part-time (oh ...
9th December 2009, 04:38 PM #1
- Rep Power
Disaster Recovery Questions
I am the IT Technician at a school in Merseyside. I am also doing a degree in IT part-time (oh joy!).
I’ve got a few questions on how schools across the UK meet their Disaster Recovery requirements.
If you work as a Network Manager/Technician at a school/college I’d be eternally grateful if you could answer the following questions on Disaster Recovery!
1. What type of establishment is it? (Primary School / High School / College)
2. How many users do you have on all networks?
3. What region is your school situated? (North-West / South-West / North East / South East)
Disaster Recovery (DR) Plans
4. Does the establishment have a DR Plan? (Yes/No)
5. Do you review your DR plans regularly? (never/once/occasionally/often)
6. Do you test your DR plans regularly? (never/once/occasionally/often)
7. How many times have you had to implement your DR plans? (never/once/occasionally/often)
Disaster Recovery Technologies
8. What technologies do you use to protect your data? (Single Tape Drive/Tape Library/Off-site Backups/Disk Backups/Other)
9. How do you protect your most recent backup? (Take Off-site/We Don’t!/Collections/Fire-Proof Safe/Other)
10. How often do you do a full back up your data? (Weekly/Daily/Monthly/Longer)
IDG Tech News
9th December 2009, 04:46 PM #2
1. High School
3. North West
8. Single Tape Drive/Tape Library
9. Take Off-site
9th December 2009, 05:26 PM #3
3. East Anglia
8. Disk to Disk to tape backups with a remote backup server and offsite tapes, plus snapshots.
9. Other - physically remote backup server
9th December 2009, 06:03 PM #4
8. Off-site and On-site disk backups
9. Remote building On-site
9th December 2009, 06:19 PM #5
3. North East
7. Never **Touches Wood**
8. Disk > Disk > Tape (Which is hosted in an alternative building to the server room)
9. Off Site
9th December 2009, 06:24 PM #6
1. Secondary School
2. about 500
3. South East
4. Not officially, but I do in my head
5. Once when I setup the new system
7. Once - lost an entire server when the RAID array failed, tape restore worked like a charm.
8. Sony AIT3 tape changer which is struggling to cope now.
9. Fire proof safe on site
10. Weekly with differential backups Mon-Thurs
10th December 2009, 03:53 PM #7
- Rep Power
Thanks for your responses so far guys! they will help loads
I just need a few more to get an accurate picture if anyone has 5 minutes!
10th December 2009, 06:29 PM #8
- Rep Power
Hi mate, I'm an ICT Technician at a mid-large Comprehensive.
1 - Comprehensive School
2 - ~1600
3 - South West (Wales)
4 - Not officially, no. I suspect me and the NM would be passing forth panicked strategies while looking over the charred remains of a server
5 - never
6 - Test the backups for integrity, but we haven't tried a full server restore (no time)
7 - never
8 - Tape Library and "Terastation" backups
9 - Kept on site, but in a different building to the main servers/disk-disk-tape backups
10 - weekly via disk-disk-tape, twice per term via "Terastation" portable HDD (stored in safe in different building) along with passwords incase me and the NM die (sometimes we share lifts)
Differential backups are made daily (I also have Volume Shadow Copy enabled)
By pagelad in forum Wireless Networks
Last Post: 11th January 2011, 12:21 PM
By GrumbleDook in forum School ICT Policies
Last Post: 8th February 2010, 04:27 PM
By in forum Wireless Networks
Last Post: 15th June 2007, 09:13 AM
By Chrispy in forum How do you do....it?
Last Post: 23rd May 2006, 11:33 AM
By russdev in forum School ICT Policies
Last Post: 20th March 2006, 11:29 AM
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)