+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, Getting ready for VPN : Where to start? in Technical; That I'd love to do but under the C2K system we have no admin access to anything on they're managed ...

Thank Post

Re: Getting ready for VPN : Where to start?

That I'd love to do but under the C2K system we have no admin access to anything on they're managed network. No access to they're router or proxy, switches or even client setup. Thats the reason we have 2 networks. Mine which the SMT loveingly referre to as the "legacy" network, and the one provided by C2K northern Ireland. My one concern with providing internet access on the "legacy" ( I hate that word) network is that thats really the only reason a teach voluntarily uses the C2K machines with a class. I think my 5 suites may become very over subscribed.

Thank Post

With squid, you only need the proxy address and port to do round robin load balancing.

Code:
    cache_peer proxy1.1stISP.net parent 80 7 no-query round-robin weight=10 no-digest
    cache_peer proxy2.2ndISP.net parent 8000 7 no-query round-robin weight=10 no-digest

Thank Post

Not wanting to slap any wrists here but we are drifting a mite off topic and much as I want to discuss the other bits that have popped up I reckon each could use a split or seperate topic to get over properly.

To get back to the VPN thing though... My primary concern is the security side of things and I'd rather have to spend some time with my head stuck in a book, on here asking daft questions and getting to grips with it all than trying an end run that may end with me and egg applied to face.

As to a seperate connection, it's been considered but in truth we're now reaching a point where the head wants me to explore whether we are actually tied in to any contract and what movement we have for supplying our own broadband link... £4k for an unreliable 2mb connection that goes snafu whenever there's a storm, lots of rain and has poor filtering (ie: pretty much everything is blocked!) means we're wondering why we don't just go to a bonded ADSL link and a smoothie with content and security filtering that we can control... It'd certainly be a LOT cheaper and less prone to "It's the other guys fault" support ping pong.. :?

Anyway... I'm drifting OT myself now.. so back to VPN...

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by contink
    Not wanting to slap any wrists here but we are drifting a mite off topic and much as I want to discuss the other bits that have popped up I reckon each could use a split or seperate topic to get over properly.
    Sorry, got a little carried away there. ops:

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by djm968
    Quote Originally Posted by contink
    Sorry, got a little carried away there. ops:
    LOL... no worries... just very conscious that other people will miss the topic of discussion and not get their rant/rave/drivel in..

The whole "if you can't work with them, work round them" thing is seriously valid so go forth and start the topic

Thank Post

Here it is, and thanks for the title!

http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?nam...ewtopic&t=4742

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12