+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, RM CC3 - any good? in Technical; I'd like a little bit of advice please. We are running a cobbled together network, using Windows 2000 Advance server ...
    Thank Post

RM CC3 - any good?

I'd like a little bit of advice please. We are running a cobbled together network, using Windows 2000 Advance server & a variety of WinXP & Win98 machines (Win98 soon to be replaced). In total around 50 stations & 1 server.

I am not very skilled with group policy & am having quite a few problems with various things not working as they should & have heard good reports about RM CC3. Can anybody tell me if this program deals with group policy etc to make my life easier? Is it easy to use & configure? Do I need any special equipment? Is it expensive? Any good for students with special physical/visual needs?

Many thanks guys & gals. :newb:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: RM CC3

Hi kate

What a surprise I am answering this question

Right you will get some mixed views and you either hate them or love them type of thing...

It all depends on your situation systems like CC3 work well if you a small support team of one or two and dont have time to do stuff like create network from scratch.

But you do pay extra for this for this but then comapre that extra to cost of gettiing somone else in to help etc

In terms of what you want it does all this I am in Leicestershire so down the road so if want to look at CC3 system and have a play just me know and can come and visit.

Equipment depending on spec on existing stuff then you might be able to use it.

What will say when are you looking to buy as few devleopments going on in terms of CC4 and other things that might be better for you to wait depends on what timescale looking at.

Russ

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 981 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: RM CC3 - any good?

INCOMING!!

Welcome, and BTW what a post to get people replying to. Here is my tuppence worth. CC3 Is a wonderful way of throwing your money down the drain, tying yourself into RM till hell freezes over and not being able to run the network in the way you see fit.
    However, it does have some good tools and automated facilities, but nothing which is not available elsewhere.
    All CC3 does GP wise is make it look nice. There is nothing that it can do that just using GP on their own will do. My advice would be to either buy a decent Windows server and active directory guide and read up, or just ask here as we know EVERYTHING!

Thank Post

Speaking from the point of view of someone who saw CC3 and thought... oooh that'd be nice until I saw the price tag I have to say it does depend a lot on what you have in terms of time, resources and erm... time.. did I mention time?

if you can afford to make a few mistakes, pick yourself up, dust off and start over without being lynched, etc... then I'd say go with a well thumbed copy of Mastering Windows Server 2003 from Mark Minasai, and ask LOTS of questions on here.. You'll find yourself learning at a ferocious rate and there will always be something you didn't know but sooner or later you'll be in control of things and not at the mercy of the next software update.

One thing i will say though is that I envy the fact that CC3 is catered for in terms of remote MSI installs by a lot of educations software providers but even repackaging, command line installs, etc... isn't that much of a leap provided you have the time and stubbourness to figure it out.

Best of luck...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

lol as said in first post for people who have got lots of time maybe cc3 not route but my workload means i cant create network from scratch...

Have to be fair to cc3 tie in is not as bad these days and when it comes to it rm beat other vendors. Also say with rm don’t go on price on website go on price given by your sales rep..

It depends on your situation maybe look several options bith in terms of cc3 and then do it your self and then a do it your self via a another company.

To be fair on the not being to do what you want with network thats has changed no and as long as you accept that might break something then they are fine with it

I agree few years ago that was my biggest bug bear with them but that’s has changed...

Russell

Thank Post

Kaite,

you should buy a nice new shiney server (or two). Buy Windows Server 2003 enterprise. Set it up from scratch. It isn't as difficult as it sounds, most things work out of the box.

Set up you group policy as you want it. Play around if you have time. Ask on here and search the Forum - there will be loads of threads relating to what you want to know.

All the best!

Thank Post

Just so Russ isn't on his own we are CC3 as well.
    Reasons were we needed the network up and running with minimum fuss coming from a '95 and NT structure. We looked at everything that needed doing and it was possible but having all the GPO's set up, user types ready, stations able to be made, all from the get go was an overwellming positive. Plus if it all went a bit squiffy then we had someone to yell at.

We run Dell stations in a lot of places with no major problems and have heard of a fair few people that run other servers than RM (but sometimes you do have to batter RM a bit to allow you or not charge the earth for it). We tinker with lots of bits, run our own additions, fiddle with the AD (now we have a bit more confidence) and just about anything else you can think of.

Biggest benefit is that RM support is superb, from call tracking, sorting things out, and if not actually being able to sort something (in the case of third party software or hardware) they can point you in the right direction.

But as said, it is all about the choice yo and school have to make. Weigh up all the costs (all teh hidden bits as well for all solutions) and make your choice.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I think Enterprise might be a little over the top Standard has everything needed to run a decent network and for 50 PCs enterprise main advantage of clustering isn't needed.

We had CC3 but I've removed that and gone to a vanilla 2003 domain. I'm not a fan of CC3 I like to know everything thats going on with a network I'm in support of, having said that if you're unsure of windows 2003 server GPOs then it can be a great aid in helping you get a reliable network up and running with the least amount of hassle. The costs can be quite high and the support even higher but for a small network such as yourselves it won't be that much of a problem I shouldn't think.

Wes

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

You might want to get hold of Win2k3 Server R2 though. It has some nice extra features which are very handy in schools.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by woody
    Kaite,

Play around if you have time
    Thats they key I am great believer in chossing system that is right and works for you. so sometimes system like are cc3 good idea sometimes they are not.

Anyway think better shut up as ric says or I will sound like rm 'fanboy'

Russell

Thank Post

Blimey what a great response!! Bit of a mixed bag then, some for & some against.

As I'm the only technician, and part time at that, something that saves us time would be great but our budget is rubbish & rely on charitable donations for new equipment, so I think new servers are out of the question.

We are looking to purchase Server 2003 R2 Standard but really could do with rebuilding the server, but again its time that I haven't got & I am term time only too! Plus I've never built a server from scratch either so if it all went wrong i'd be in the do-do big time.

I think I'll have a look at getting some more info from RM & other suggested networks too. Also will have a good rummage around the forum for some GP topics to help me out in the meantime.

Thanks for all your input everyone, nice to know you're all out there & I'm not on my own in this dingy little room. :thumbup:

richard

If you are going to have a look at RM then can I suggest that you look at Viglen and their Classlink system as well.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries

The first thing I would seriously suggest is to persuade someone to buy a dirt cheap server ... something like the base range of server from Dell, or a reasonable workstation for some extra memory.

This is your test box, your dream server ... and use this to play around until you are happy with things. This is likely to cost around £700 but well worth the cost. I have a sneaky feeling that you are in a primary school ... but that shouldn't make much difference for your end target.

I would also suggest you talk to the local secondary and see if they can spare some extra help.

As for CC3 ... I have to admit to having slagged it off on numerous occassions .. usually when it has been put in for the wrong reasons (sold to Manglement as a technical solution without looking at the T&L side of things ... because we all know that by just sticking a kid in front of a computer they go up a grade).

If you are on your own and worry that things will go wrong without you about then CC3 looks a promising solution ... even if only for 2 years. During that 2 years you can prepare to move away from it.

Have a read of how Tickmike set things up, how long it took to do and the commitment it took. If you cannot commit to the same or similar amount then you need additional help, either from other techies (local schools etc) or via a managed solution (CC3, Ranger, etc).

Try and get out to other schools, see how it is being used and look at the difference it makes in lessons. That should be the key thing for deciding which way to go.

Thank Post

Just get a couple of old bangers and make a sperate "test" network. Install server2003 with GPMC and just "play".

Ive been in the ICT world for only just over 2 years and already am very confident in GP. It realy isnt that hard. MS have made most things very obvious and i garrenty after a few weeks playing on your test network you will be confident enough to start making changes on your live network.

Like said, if you dont know how to do something (or would just like confirmation that you are doing it right) just ask. I have just about rebuilt our entire domain thanks to the help of Google.

BTW all of this is with 2003. It is far far better than 2000. You will deffinatly notice how manageable things are

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts

Kate: You should look up some of tickmike's as this is basically what he has been through recently allthough he started with nothin at all I believe and is also working for a charity run school.

You need something reliable to run as your server and as also been suggested windows 2003 R2 standard is going to cover all of your needs enterprise is not needed.

RM and such other solutions are going to cost big bucks for what you get.

Use the searches here by a good windows 2003 server book such as the Mark Minasi one and ask questions here.

If you need hardware then the charity is unfotunately going have to find some way of procurring it.

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast