+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, RM CC3 - any good? in Technical; We have had CC3 here since 2002 and no problems, and no tie-in. All we've paid RM for is the ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: RM CC3 - any good?

We have had CC3 here since 2002 and no problems, and no tie-in. All we've paid RM for is the server and the licenses. We buy all our hardware elsewhere for a cheaper price. You can run the network the way you want providing you don't interfere with RM's utilities. We have a fully-integrated (linux) proxy and (linux) email server which all work flawlessly with RM. The curriculum and management networks are all integrated with SIMS .net to boot.

Some people have a bad impression of RM for some reason and most can't justify it with CC3; they have changed a lot.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I think that is problem lot of peopels view on rm from 2.4 days which they made grave errors with..

russ

Thank Post

I once downloaded an Active Directory deployment wizard thing from Microsoft but I can't remember where I found it, what its "proper name was" and I am not sure it is still availabe. This basically set a Active Directory and group policies up for you based on answers to questions given the wizard. It also included some nice scripts with a web based front end for administering the domain.

If I can find the link or the download I will post the details.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

That sounds like the Learning Network Manager. It is a good place to start if you're just starting out.

Thank Post

Yeah thats the one! It must have been a beta version I downloaded at some point.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by katem
    I'd like a little bit of advice please. We are running a cobbled together network, using Windows 2000 Advance server & a variety of WinXP & Win98 machines (Win98 soon to be replaced). In total around 50 stations & 1 server.

I am not very skilled with group policy & am having quite a few problems with various things not working as they should & have heard good reports about RM CC3. Can anybody tell me if this program deals with group policy etc to make my life easier? Is it easy to use & configure? Do I need any special equipment? Is it expensive? Any good for students with special physical/visual needs?

Many thanks guys & gals. :newb:

I have just realised there is a whole forum devoted to LNM on this site. I would recommend this as a good starting point.

The money you save on the RM kit you can spend on a nice holiday...... now where is my passport

Microsoft Site
    http://www.microsoft.com/emea/educat...rkmanager.mspx

EduGeek's Forum
    http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?nam...viewforum&f=34

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by djm968
    The money you save on the RM kit you can spend on a nice holiday......
    Didn't know schools paid for holidays out of the IT budgets these days.

Thank Post

Sorry I meant CPD.... but schools IT budgets do pay for my holidays!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Indirectly obviously

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    We have had CC3 here since 2002 and no problems, and no tie-in. All we've paid RM for is the server and the licenses. We buy all our hardware elsewhere for a cheaper price. You can run the network the way you want providing you don't interfere with RM's utilities. We have a fully-integrated proxy and email server which all work flawlessly with RM. The curriculum and management networks are all integrated with SIMS .net to boot.

Some people have a bad impression of RM for some reason and most can't justify it with CC3; they have changed a lot.
    Wow Craig. This is the only time I have seen you this animated. You must really love CC3.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NetworkGeezer
    Wow Craig. This is the only time I have seen you this animated. You must really love CC3.

The way I (and Bossman) see it is, there are only two of us to run IT in the school and CC3 does what we want. We have printer management per-room & printer credit system; we can build, allocate and install software packages on machines in another building from our office; remotely re-build/re-image/shutdown/restart workstations; remote access to work areas over the Internet; tight yet customisable restriction policies; easy delegation of password resetting. There is so much CC3 allows you to do without doing everything the RM way, but they'll have you believe otherwise.

Without CC3, we'd have to spend a lot more of our time messing about with the problems that people with Vanilla networks post on here that CC3 does normally. (From the top of my head) such as locking down the address bar in Windows explorer, which remote access systems to use and GPOs. That time can be better spent on improving the network as a whole and developing new ideas. We also save a lot of money on third-party software like MSI creating/editing tools and the like.

Don't get me wrong, there are some things I don't like about RM. For instance, you need IE6+ to access the remote features, and it is all closed-source.

Thank Post

We're CC3 here. Works very well, and we support primary schools with Server 2003 and CC3 is far better to manage. You can adapt it if you know what you're doing, whilst being able to let Modern Apps/Trainee's loose on it very early with the simplified management tools.
    We have Proxy (Smartcache 2) with them as well as the general stuff. We don't buy there machines any more, we have them built and they work like a dream.
    Kate, personally I'd suggest CC3 is ideal for someone part time like yourself, without the time a nd resources to invest in starting from scratch.

Thank Post

RMCC3 is short hand for "how to waste money". £100 per PC client licence alone, that would cost us £23,000 just on that, never mind the the actual server software.

In the 9x era there was a stronger case for it, as NT on the workstation then was not a viable option in high schools lots of educational titles would only run on 95/98, and NT is where MS aimed its managment tools then, RM Connect 2.4 had some good tools in that MS did not provide for 9x (only NT with SMS Server 2.0 etc)

Now that NT has moved on into the 2000/2003/XP type OS most of the tools you will ever need are there (nice one MS), only one its missing is print quota, and thats a £400 third party add on which is more powerful that the one provide by CC3.

Bulk creation of users (Sims, Excel and a batch file, 5 min job)

Pushing out the OS's to the client PC's (RIS FREE with 2000/2003 Server)

Managing users look and feel of the desktop (Group policy which is not difficult, or use mandatory profiles to have full control over the look and feel, just need a few tools like delprof which is in the resource kit, and a few small batch files)

Pushing out new software (again group policy or ris)

Printer allocation (just allocate a .vbs file to each OU for each room in Active Directory, 3 lines of code not hard or use the managment console provided in R2 2003 Server)

Printer Auditing (Pcounter £400)

Use Microsoft Managment Console to create "Task Pads" ie a password manager so staff can reset pupils passwords, gives them only what they need to see, takes 10 mins to create the task pad.

Remote files access (use webdav, free and comes with Windows 2003 Server)

Should take 1 week max to have a whole system setup and ready to go, and when its in it should just work, anybody who has Administrator rights on an Active Directory should be more than capable of setting up the above.

Save tens of thousands of ££££ in money
    Have a fast and clean network system
    Move client OS when YOU choose to, not when the 3rd party managment software supports it and then get charged stupid money for an upgrade.

If your a school with no tech and just teachers then CC3 would prob be a good move then, but if you have a REAL tech on site an industry standard system is the way i would go.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by katem
    I'd like a little bit of advice please. We are running a cobbled together network, using Windows 2000 Advance server & a variety of WinXP & Win98 machines (Win98 soon to be replaced). In total around 50 stations & 1 server.

I am not very skilled with group policy & am having quite a few problems with various things not working as they should & have heard good reports about RM CC3. Can anybody tell me if this program deals with group policy etc to make my life easier? Is it easy to use & configure? Do I need any special equipment? Is it expensive? Any good for students with special physical/visual needs?

Many thanks guys & gals. :newb:
    Welcome!
    There will be a lot of opinions on this one, many of them are going to be polar opposites to each other. Someone has mentioned already that CC3 is a "love it or hate it" kinda thing and I'd agree. Of those two groups, I'm very firmly in the latter camp.

Having said that, if you don't have a lot of on-site support, if you're struggling to get things going, and you don't need to deviate substantially from RM's standard deployment, it will probably work well for you.

When I talk about deviating from their standard, someone mentions adding your own stuff on top of what CC3 provides (e.g. own mail service, etc.) working fine and I'd agree with that. If you want to buy an end to end solution from RM, or want to buy CC3 and layer your own stuff on top then you'll be fine. Probably spending a lot more money than somone who does it all themselves, but you'll be fine. As much as I'm personally not a fan, I understand how this may well be the best option for you to support learning at your school and that is why we're all here.

Making changes to what CC3 tries to provide in and of itself doesn't end so well. The last sentence there is why of my dislike for it; we purchased it when it was new, tried to adapt it to our needs, and broke our teeth on it. If you look at it and think "ooh it nearly does what we want, maybe we can buy it and just make our adjustments...." then my advice would be to run, not walk, away from the deal.

I hope that helps. You've certainly picked a thorny topic as part of your opening salvo!

rob

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries

The thing that makes me wonder about the "love it or hate it" part of discussing CC3 is that for years this was done for Macs with MacAdmin from Hi-Resolution ... and noone slagged that off ... even now when it is perfectly possible to do things via OSX Server, people have no problem with MacAdmin being a viable solution.

Would people have the same atitude if Karoshi cost money or the Cutter Project was more that just managed service charges?

I think people remember the bad things too easily and those that can see the good side get caught up on initial cost (I won't mention TCO here ... because TCO is slike stats ... it can be made to say anything!)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast