+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
Wireless Networks Thread, RM and Virtual Servers in Technical; Our network nmanager has set up virtual servers on a RM CC3 Network, since nopthing seem s to work. Are ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    RM and Virtual Servers

    Our network nmanager has set up virtual servers on a RM CC3 Network, since nopthing seem s to work.

    Are their problems with virtulisation on CC3 a network?

  2. #2

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    15,852
    Thank Post
    877
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    445
    Can you expand upon "nothing seems to work" please?

    Thanks

  3. #3

    AngryTechnician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,730
    Thank Post
    698
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Rep Power
    394
    Are the virtual servers actual CC3 servers or are they plain Windows servers that just happen to be joined to the same domain?

    I've never tried virtualising an actual CC3 server, because RM say they do not support virtualisation of CC3 (or CC4, I think). I hear from our ATSS contact that it may be coming in the future, but given RM's current stance and the propensity for their software to be quite picky about the environment it runs in, I've decided to steer clear.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    460
    Thank Post
    66
    Thanked 34 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    19
    how were the servers put onto the virtual platform - Physical to Virtual conversion or built from scratch? what is your hypervirsor that you are using: ESX/vSphere, Hyper-v or the citrix one?

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    521
    Thank Post
    26
    Thanked 73 Times in 64 Posts
    Rep Power
    28
    RM will actually impliment and support vsphere for customers now, you have to take out another support contract though & most of the support will still come from VMWare.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    460
    Thank Post
    66
    Thanked 34 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallwood_6 View Post
    RM will actually impliment and support vsphere for customers now, you have to take out another support contract though & most of the support will still come from VMWare.
    they know how to make money don't they

  7. #7

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    521
    Thank Post
    26
    Thanked 73 Times in 64 Posts
    Rep Power
    28
    They certainly arnt stupid, quite a number of customers have already done it though so i think they now realise if they are missing out on some serious money and if they dont offer some form of support and implimentation they will end up with customers using a variety of different virtualization products and configurations which could prove a minefield when it comes to diagnostics.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    88
    Thank Post
    7
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by DAckroyd View Post
    they know how to make money don't they
    of course, hence another of many reasons why I can't wait to move away from the bloatware that is RM CC3 in just a few weeks

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    521
    Thank Post
    26
    Thanked 73 Times in 64 Posts
    Rep Power
    28
    You think CC3 is bloatware, its a good job you dont use CC4!

  10. #10

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,262
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Rep Power
    340
    they know how to make money don't they
    The irony is that all the money required for another support contract could be used more constructively to buy another server

  11. #11

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    521
    Thank Post
    26
    Thanked 73 Times in 64 Posts
    Rep Power
    28
    Sorry i could be wrong with the addional support contract, just looked over the budgetry quote i had and the support is looks to be only VMWare, although i'm sure an additional RM support contract was mentioned at some point when we met.

  12. #12
    DMcCoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Isle of Wight
    Posts
    3,446
    Thank Post
    10
    Thanked 491 Times in 431 Posts
    Rep Power
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallwood_6 View Post
    Sorry i could be wrong with the addional support contract, just looked over the budgetry quote i had and the support is looks to be only VMWare, although i'm sure an additional RM support contract was mentioned at some point when we met.
    You *have* to buy the VMware support contact when purchasing vSphere, so it's not like they had a choice. VMware will only support the VM infrastructure though - not general network, SAN or host issues (unless it's a virtualisation issue).

    In fact with SANs etc there really is a lot that isn't usually supported by anyone unless you get it with the device. The usual way to cover everything working together is if it's supported by a vendor who sold it as a big virtualisation product.

  13. #13

    Theblacksheep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In a house.
    Posts
    1,934
    Thank Post
    138
    Thanked 290 Times in 210 Posts
    Rep Power
    193
    Our RM hardware support ran out recently on a server, when it came renewal time we asked to only have software support as the hardware didnt exist....

    RM said no software support without hardware support.... even when its a VM! ... on the same technology as they re-sell.




    If RM are are offering VMware products because thats what marketing has fed-back to the products schools have spent their CC4 money on then they are barking up the wrong tree.



    Back to the point: We run support server virtulized (file, servicedesk, printer, sharepoint, iis and exchange) on CC3... but not the DCs.
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 24th November 2009 at 02:01 PM.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    521
    Thank Post
    26
    Thanked 73 Times in 64 Posts
    Rep Power
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    Our RM hardware support ran out recently on a server, when it came renewal time we asked to only have software support as the hardware didnt exist....

    RM said no software support without hardware support.... even when its a VM! ... on the same technology as they re-sell.




    If RM are are offering VMware products because thats what marketing has fed-back to the products schools have spent their CC4 money on then they are barking up the wrong tree.



    Back to the point: We run support server virtulized (file, servicedesk, printer, sharepoint, iis and exchange) on CC3... but not the DCs.
    Am i missing something hardware warrenties are seperate from server support contracts. i.e. you have servercare for the server & then a seperate contract in the form of say 'additional server support'. If you cancel or fail to renew your servercare but cary on your server support that is up to you they cant expect people to carry paying for hardware support for servers no longer in use.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    521
    Thank Post
    26
    Thanked 73 Times in 64 Posts
    Rep Power
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    You *have* to buy the VMware support contact when purchasing vSphere, so it's not like they had a choice. VMware will only support the VM infrastructure though - not general network, SAN or host issues (unless it's a virtualisation issue).

    In fact with SANs etc there really is a lot that isn't usually supported by anyone unless you get it with the device. The usual way to cover everything working together is if it's supported by a vendor who sold it as a big virtualisation product.
    This is very true, from speaking to RM the details seem far from concrete. RM i think would like to offer support to customers internally for Virtualisation but VMWare will are unwilling to let RM field these calls. Some internal dicussions i believe are still occuring & is probably the reason why RM have been so slow to jump on the VM bandwagon.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Thin Client \ Virtual Desktop \ Virtual Apps
    By gshaw in forum Thin Client and Virtual Machines
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17th December 2008, 06:04 PM
  2. Virtual Apache Servers
    By FN-GM in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 30th May 2008, 08:18 PM
  3. VMware/Virtual servers?
    By flashsnaps in forum Thin Client and Virtual Machines
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 12th February 2008, 06:14 PM
  4. Virtual Servers Hosting
    By russdev in forum Web Development
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11th May 2007, 09:46 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •