+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, RM and Virtual Servers in Technical; Our network nmanager has set up virtual servers on a RM CC3 Network, since nopthing seem s to work. Are ...

Thank Post

RM and Virtual Servers

Our network nmanager has set up virtual servers on a RM CC3 Network, since nopthing seem s to work.

Are their problems with virtulisation on CC3 a network?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Can you expand upon "nothing seems to work" please?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Are the virtual servers actual CC3 servers or are they plain Windows servers that just happen to be joined to the same domain?

I've never tried virtualising an actual CC3 server, because RM say they do not support virtualisation of CC3 (or CC4, I think). I hear from our ATSS contact that it may be coming in the future, but given RM's current stance and the propensity for their software to be quite picky about the environment it runs in, I've decided to steer clear.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    how were the servers put onto the virtual platform - Physical to Virtual conversion or built from scratch? what is your hypervirsor that you are using: ESX/vSphere, Hyper-v or the citrix one?

Thank Post
    RM will actually impliment and support vsphere for customers now, you have to take out another support contract though & most of the support will still come from VMWare.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallwood_6 View Post
    RM will actually impliment and support vsphere for customers now, you have to take out another support contract though & most of the support will still come from VMWare.
    they know how to make money don't they

Thank Post
    They certainly arnt stupid, quite a number of customers have already done it though so i think they now realise if they are missing out on some serious money and if they dont offer some form of support and implimentation they will end up with customers using a variety of different virtualization products and configurations which could prove a minefield when it comes to diagnostics.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DAckroyd View Post
    of course, hence another of many reasons why I can't wait to move away from the bloatware that is RM CC3 in just a few weeks

Thank Post
    You think CC3 is bloatware, its a good job you dont use CC4!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    The irony is that all the money required for another support contract could be used more constructively to buy another server

Thank Post
    Sorry i could be wrong with the addional support contract, just looked over the budgetry quote i had and the support is looks to be only VMWare, although i'm sure an additional RM support contract was mentioned at some point when we met.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallwood_6 View Post
    Sorry i could be wrong with the addional support contract, just looked over the budgetry quote i had and the support is looks to be only VMWare, although i'm sure an additional RM support contract was mentioned at some point when we met.
    You *have* to buy the VMware support contact when purchasing vSphere, so it's not like they had a choice. VMware will only support the VM infrastructure though - not general network, SAN or host issues (unless it's a virtualisation issue).

In fact with SANs etc there really is a lot that isn't usually supported by anyone unless you get it with the device. The usual way to cover everything working together is if it's supported by a vendor who sold it as a big virtualisation product.

Thank Post
    Our RM hardware support ran out recently on a server, when it came renewal time we asked to only have software support as the hardware didnt exist....

RM said no software support without hardware support.... even when its a VM! ... on the same technology as they re-sell.

If RM are are offering VMware products because thats what marketing has fed-back to the products schools have spent their CC4 money on then they are barking up the wrong tree.

Back to the point: We run support server virtulized (file, servicedesk, printer, sharepoint, iis and exchange) on CC3... but not the DCs.
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 24th November 2009 at 02:01 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    Our RM hardware support ran out recently on a server, when it came renewal time we asked to only have software support as the hardware didnt exist....

RM said no software support without hardware support.... even when its a VM! ... on the same technology as they re-sell.

If RM are are offering VMware products because thats what marketing has fed-back to the products schools have spent their CC4 money on then they are barking up the wrong tree.

Back to the point: We run support server virtulized (file, servicedesk, printer, sharepoint, iis and exchange) on CC3... but not the DCs.
    Am i missing something hardware warrenties are seperate from server support contracts. i.e. you have servercare for the server & then a seperate contract in the form of say 'additional server support'. If you cancel or fail to renew your servercare but cary on your server support that is up to you they cant expect people to carry paying for hardware support for servers no longer in use.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    You *have* to buy the VMware support contact when purchasing vSphere, so it's not like they had a choice. VMware will only support the VM infrastructure though - not general network, SAN or host issues (unless it's a virtualisation issue).

In fact with SANs etc there really is a lot that isn't usually supported by anyone unless you get it with the device. The usual way to cover everything working together is if it's supported by a vendor who sold it as a big virtualisation product.
    This is very true, from speaking to RM the details seem far from concrete. RM i think would like to offer support to customers internally for Virtualisation but VMWare will are unwilling to let RM field these calls. Some internal dicussions i believe are still occuring & is probably the reason why RM have been so slow to jump on the VM bandwagon.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast