+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Installing Network Printers in Technical; Hi there I have got an issue where I'm trying to install an HP LaserJet p2035 driver on a Printer ...
    hig

Thank Post

Installing Network Printers

Hi there
    I have got an issue where I'm trying to install an HP LaserJet p2035 driver on a Printer server (Windows server 2003). This printer is connected to the server via a USB HP JetDirect Box. I'm trying to install it on the server using a TCP/IP network port.

The issue currently stands that when I do this an error message appears stating spoolsv. application error. This message appears on any account on the network except for administrator accounts.

If any one has come across this issue before or has any ideas that they could suggest then that would be greatly appreiated.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 781 Posts
    @hig:

Couple the printer and the usb connector up to the network and search for the ip address it has been allocated in DHCP then connect through your browser to the interface of the printer. Create a static address for the printer not forgetting to turn off the DHCP automatic allocation check box.
    On the server go to add printer, local printer and create a port using standard tcp/ip port, to create it will ask you to conect to the ip address of the printer point it to the ip address which you have set statically and then it will come up with the driver location window, click have disk and point to location on disk of *.inf file representing that particular printer model, PCL 5 is usually the best, there you go then, when installed don't forget to share.
    Hope this helps.
    If you have already done this then ignore

Thank Post
    Have you tried using the HP add network printer wizard?

EN - HP Install Network Printer Wizard - Overview

nN

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    @hig:

Couple the printer and the usb connector up to the network and search for the ip address it has been allocated in DHCP then connect through your browser to the interface of the printer. Create a static address for the printer not forgetting to turn off the DHCP automatic allocation check box.
    personally i find it better to write down the mac address and reserve it an ip in dhcp that way its easy to look up and can be changed easily if required

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    personally i find it better to write down the mac address and reserve it an ip in dhcp that way its easy to look up and can be changed easily if required
    Same here but didn't want to confuse.
    We have a reserved range for all our printers and this has served us well for 8 years, we now have nearly 50 HP laserjet printers all around the school tied into our printer credits system and it works pretty good.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    The HP printers also allow you to specify the printer's host name rather than the IP address, so you can keep it on DHCP and the server will still be able to connect to it using the host name as the port.

As regards to the user's issue, sometimes it's best to not use any custom ports (like HP...) and just use standard TCP/IP port (I know this was in the instructions sent by someone else).

Also, with the printer driver on the server, sometimes it's best to just add a local printer, and select the port and driver, rather than running setup.exe from the disc, which usually installs all kinds of gubbins.

One other thing, if you use HP's software to search for the printer it can automatically update the firmware on the jetdierct box, but for some reason it seems to take it a while. With the speed that suppliers try to get things to market, they often come shipped containing bugs.

Thanks,

Bruce.

Thank Post
    I had the exact same thing happen on one of my servers with the exact same printer. I had to remove the print driver from the server and install the universal print driver.
    HP LaserJet P2030 Printer series- HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PCL5 - HP Business Support Center

First time I've done it that way, but it worked great. Spooler stopped crashing and everyone was happy.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread