+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Cisco Wireless Network in Technical; Hi, We've got a Cisco wireless network based around a 4402 controller (I think, it's Friday morning and my brain's ...

Thank Post

Cisco Wireless Network

Hi,

We've got a Cisco wireless network based around a 4402 controller (I think, it's Friday morning and my brain's fried). We're lacking coverage in some areas - quite significantly, and having installed VoIP with some wireless handsets we need to look at sorting this issue out. So... a two fold question:

1) Does anyone know a good wireless network installation/survey/consultancy company in the East Mids who deals with predominantly Cisco kit?

2) Does anyone have a suggestion of another solution? Possibly mix in some other kit (Ruckus?)? We can't replace the entire network as it's less than 2 years old and the Governors would have kittens, puppies and chicks if I suggested that!

Cheers

Will

Thank Post
    If you are using cisco cards to connect with your laptops, you can download the cisco aironet software. When installing it you can choose to install Cisco's lan surveyor. Walking around and it will show you a nice visual graph of what the signal strength is in the area.

Thank Post
    Netstumbler is your friend!

You can even link it to a GPS to produce an area map. I've used it many times to produce network surveys for clients. Once you understand the program and wireless design, it makes life easy.

NetStumbler.com

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You could speak to a wireless supplier and they could help you sell the cisco kit as part of supplying the new wireless.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willott View Post
    Hi,

We've got a Cisco wireless network based around a 4402 controller (I think, it's Friday morning and my brain's fried). We're lacking coverage in some areas - quite significantly, and having installed VoIP with some wireless handsets we need to look at sorting this issue out. So... a two fold question:

1) Does anyone know a good wireless network installation/survey/consultancy company in the East Mids who deals with predominantly Cisco kit?

2) Does anyone have a suggestion of another solution? Possibly mix in some other kit (Ruckus?)? We can't replace the entire network as it's less than 2 years old and the Governors would have kittens, puppies and chicks if I suggested that!

Cheers

Will
    Hiya Willott, if you would like to pm me your details I can give you a buz regarding the benefits of Ruckus Managed wireless and let you know about the trade up program thats on offer at the moment,

Thank Post
    Hi,

Cheers

Will
    have you tried/do you know how to, log into the controllers web interface, should see an option to display some heat maps. check the cisco docs.

that controller is pretty powerful, you shouldn't really need anything else. If it identify's holes in coverage surely it's just a case of repositioning existing AP's or if your short of AP's to purchase some more cisco AP's. Cisco also do a range of antenna's with different diversity characterics [very substantial range] although you might find some of them a bit pricey.

why would you want to mix in other equipment if you've got a 4402 controller.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi,

Cheers

Will
    Sorry I can't offer help on surveying based around Cisco as we only survey with Ruckus due to our commitment to the vendor and solution due to the on going success we have had with the product.

I can advise that unfortunatly you are unable to add Ruckus into your existing Cisco system, the product will only work as a FAT AP or controlled through it's own managment device (ZoneDirector)

Yes there are upgrade programs against installed Cisco infrastructure being replaced with Ruckus, but I understand why this is not possible after only recently spending on your current product.

If you want to have a go at surveying for black spots in your school then I would suggest a spend of $200 on WiSPY this provides a spectrum analyser which would aid you plenty.

Cheers

Mark

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    have you tried/do you know how to, log into the controllers web interface, should see an option to display some heat maps. check the cisco docs.

that controller is pretty powerful, you shouldn't really need anything else. If it identify's holes in coverage surely it's just a case of repositioning existing AP's or if your short of AP's to purchase some more cisco AP's. Cisco also do a range of antenna's with different diversity characterics [very substantial range] although you might find some of them a bit pricey.

why would you want to mix in other equipment if you've got a 4402 controller.
    From the looks of it, heat maps are part of WCS, I can't find them at all on the controller. It's hopefully fairly obvious that I'm not experienced with Cisco Wireless, or large wireless deployments - hence wondering if there's any Cisco wireless people about who could come and take a look for me. I think most of our APs we can't do anything to the antenna, but we could probably get a couple more which would allow external antenna (sure the plural's spelt differently, but it's Sunday). I'll try netstumbler etc over the next week (once I've worked out how to use my Phone as external GPS for laptop), and go from there.

Cheers

Thank Post
    From the looks of it, heat maps are part of WCS, I can't find them at all on the controller. It's hopefully fairly obvious that I'm not experienced with Cisco Wireless, or large wireless deployments - hence wondering if there's any Cisco wireless people about who could come and take a look for me. I think most of our APs we can't do anything to the antenna, but we could probably get a couple more which would allow external antenna (sure the plural's spelt differently, but it's Sunday). I'll try netstumbler etc over the next week (once I've worked out how to use my Phone as external GPS for laptop), and go from there.

Cheers
    yes, by the looks of it, it is a WCS feature.

Was a WCS not part of the solution ? is it just the controller and cisco ap's with the AP's with integrated antennas. It might be that you need atleast dipole antenna's on cisco ap's to do heat maps with WCS aswell.

if you've got a cisco reseller you purchase cisco kit from, can you not speak to them to get a better understanding.

10. Thanks to torledo from:

Willott (15th November 2009)

Thank Post
    I've checked the servers (need to try to find docs from install), can can't find WCS anywhere. The setup is the 4402, a load of LAP1131AG and 2x LAP1242AG.

I'll have a check with the LA this week to find out some info (they installed both our wired and wireless networks), I'd still like to find a supplier to help out though, so any suggestions, I'd be grateful!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've checked the servers (need to try to find docs from install), can can't find WCS anywhere. The setup is the 4402, a load of LAP1131AG and 2x LAP1242AG.

I'll have a check with the LA this week to find out some info (they installed both our wired and wireless networks), I'd still like to find a supplier to help out though, so any suggestions, I'd be grateful!
    As I posted earlier Willott , if you would like to pm me your details I will get one of our expert wireless team to contact you to see if we can help

Thank Post
    Thanks Simon,

PM sent.

14. Thanks to Willott from:

CPLTD (16th November 2009)

Thank Post

Thumbs up

We do use Cisco Aironet 1200 series AP`s which are not managed by a controller, but the tool below should also work fine with your setup.

I use HeatMapper (freeware) to find dead spots in my building (3 levels).
    It can load a drawing of your building/level and after doing a survey you will find all your dead spots.

Ekahau HeatMapper - The Free Wi-Fi Coverage Mapping Site Survey Tool

Thank Post
    Ta muchly,

Downloading now... then I just need to find a to scale map of the school :/

Cheers

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread