+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, very high network sockets! in Technical; Maybe the 7'2" Russian boxer Valuev installed them? Joking aside if the caretaker ok'ed it it does put the school ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Maybe the 7'2" Russian boxer Valuev installed them? Joking aside if the caretaker ok'ed it it does put the school in a dilemma, especially if he/she signed documentation. I think they should of used their initiative and phoned you danielson81 before making a decision.

2. Thanks to Michael from:

danielson81 (4th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I thought he was only 7' must be still growing

4. Thanks to wesleyw from:

Thank Post
    You may be right actually, but he's still the beast from the east. Wouldn't fancy trying to beat him

6. Thanks to Michael from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    At least it's out of the kids and teachers way so they don't bodge the data points but I would complain and get them to re do it as that's what the original quote was for and surely going maplins or any place that sells network cabling wouldn't of been that hard to do before they did the job

surely one requirement before doing this sort of job would of been

get aprox distance between both points + or - aprox 5-10 meters to ensure plenty of cable when doing the run

then compare to total remainder of cable that they had, the care taker saying just do it has nothing to do with what was quoted for and am guessing they were shown what to do before the holiday/ half term?

8. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Maybe the 7'2" Russian boxer Valuev installed them? Joking aside if the caretaker ok'ed it it does put the school in a dilemma, especially if he/she signed documentation. I think they should of used their initiative and phoned you danielson81 before making a decision.
    It's the school IT department paying for the job and who needs the job doing not the care taker so they clearly asked the wrong person but on the negative side the care taker should of been left explicitly clear instructions ie if they have any questions or want confirmation of the job then call xyz on 1234578 or make sure that care taker knew exactly where the Dara points were meant to go and to not sign for work until it was done

10. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not without a really big stick Sadly I'd be in his weight category if I boxed but at only 6'3 I think I'd have issues getting close to even hit him with a stick lol

Wes

12. Thanks to wesleyw from:

Thank Post
    That looks like they did not run any new cable runs at all and just fed the cable down from above and re terminated the socket. If you measure down to the new socket from the roof then take away the floor I bet that the distance left will be the same almost that the original socket was from the floor! Don't pay, they are just swinging that one!

14. Thanks to TechSupp from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechSupp View Post
    That looks like they did not run any new cable runs at all and just fed the cable down from above and re terminated the socket. If you measure down to the new socket from the roof then take away the floor I bet that the distance left will be the same almost that the original socket was from the floor! Don't pay, they are just swinging that one!
    If I were a betting man, I'd say you were more than likely correct with that analysis.

16. Thanks to maniac from:

Thank Post
    I'm going to be unpopular here. If I'd asked to have some sockets moved I'd expect them to use the same cable run. If I wanted a new cable run I'd have asked them for new sockets and had the old ones left well alone.

Why didn't you just ask for new sockets.

18. Thanks to K.C.Leblanc from:

Thank Post
    Thanks,

Basically there were 3 sockets in the attic room upstairs, which is now basically a storeroom. (it had steep stairs to it and was a H&S issue, so no longer used for small group work etc.)

I asked them to move 2 of the sockets in to the new classroom below, as the original run goes past the new classroom, I asked if they could "hijack" this run and place 2 new sockets, using this run in the classroom.

What they did was exactly that, but the existing cable wouldn't reach any further than where they put the sockets now. However when they came in to quote I pointed out where the sockets should go, ie one near exsiting computer and one near window. I mistakenly assumed these would be put near the ground like the 32 other sockets (& every other socket in the school!) they installed in our new ICT suite last year.

I agree there has been a communication issue between myself and the caretaker, but common sense has somewhat been lacking here. However me and the school willl learn from this. The LEA and governors may write to them and complain. The LEA has a list of cabling contractors with comments from schools on, and no doubt this will be added to it.

Thank Post
    Thats what I asked you yesterday Danielson81 in point #1 using the same cable.... But the cable installer should have asked you what to do if the cable run wasnt long enough to terminate the socket in the correct place. Did you not show the installer the exact place you wanted them? Sounds like a planning/communication issue. Maybe you've got to put this down to experience and cough up the extra £75.00. We have been asked to install network points high up on the walls for both Wireless Access Points and Projectors so the installer may not have thought it as a strange place for the network points.

21. Thanks to bertster from:

Thank Post
    Not without a really big stick Sadly I'd be in his weight category if I boxed but at only 6'3 I think I'd have issues getting close to even hit him with a stick lol
    Only 6'3" you say Well you're taller than me, I'm about 6'1". I wonder who the tallest forum member is to help danielson81?

23. Thanks to Michael from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by danielson81 View Post
    Thanks,
    common sense has somewhat been lacking here
    Got it in one! from the contractors side I think. They saw a quick and easy option, not looking further ahead than an early finish. As said earlier in a post the least they could have done was use a coupler and extended the line. I've had that done here and saw no problem with it as it would have been too expensive a job to run a new length from switch to new point. Just terminating it at that level is just daft!

Have had a similar one done to me though and its still there die to lack of money (but I'll get it sorted as soon as I can) a link was asked for and I expected it to be new link back to the cabinet like all others I had had done before...but no they just ran a cable to another class nearby, added switch and cabled it up via a wallsocket so I wondered what was going on. They said schools just want to do the cheapest option but not always the best!

mpe

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    This has got to be a joke surely? I've never known any company to install them high up without good reason. The exception being for Access Points which work off PoE. The higher they are the better due to the metal in the tables and chairs.
    As well as being away from fiddling little (and not so little) fingers!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12