+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, bring 3 different domains to use the same ip range in Technical; Hi We have the challenge of bringing 3 different domains that are on different IP/Subnets under one ip/subnet range. Is ...

Thank Post

bring 3 different domains to use the same ip range

Hi

We have the challenge of bringing 3 different domains that are on different IP/Subnets under one ip/subnet range. Is this possible? and how would i go about doing this? Also, could i use the same DHCP and DNS server for all the 3 domains?

Thanks

Thank Post
    difficult to say without knowing your network topology, how are the 3 domains connected at the moment are they on different sites? Are they on the same physical network, if so how are they assigned their current ip addresses?

Quote Originally Posted by techie08 View Post
    Hi

We have the challenge of bringing 3 different domains that are on different IP/Subnets under one ip/subnet range. Is this possible? and how would i go about doing this? Also, could i use the same DHCP and DNS server for all the 3 domains?

Thanks

Thank Post
    They are now all linked by fiber to our HP Procurve switches, so if i change my network adapter to an ip address of the relevent network, i can see the respective network.

Thank Post
    Ok from the sounds of it setting up one or two servers to dish out the DHCP addresses wont be much of a problem. Your biggest issue is going to organise the different DNS servers for each of the domains and have the DHCP servers updating them correctly. I would get someone in to look at it as you could be walking into a minefield. It has the potential to be a very painful experience, then again could also be reasonably easy, but without seeing your exact setup it would be kinda hard to identify every potential pitfall.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bezwick View Post
    Ok from the sounds of it setting up one or two servers to dish out the DHCP addresses wont be much of a problem. Your biggest issue is going to organise the different DNS servers for each of the domains and have the DHCP servers updating them correctly. I would get someone in to look at it as you could be walking into a minefield. It has the potential to be a very painful experience, then again could also be reasonably easy, but without seeing your exact setup it would be kinda hard to identify every potential pitfall.
    Thats what we have found. We can obviously use dhcp ok but DNS is proving to be a major headache.

Thank Post
    @techie08: You should just need to create stub zones on each DNS server for the domains that that server is not part of. Don't forget to allow replication between the DNS servers.

Thank Post
    If it was me, I'd have a completely independent DHCP and DNS server with appropriate stub records for the three domains, and configure all clients to look up there. Each domain-based DNS server also needs stubs for the other zones.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    If it was me, I'd have a completely independent DHCP and DNS server with appropriate stub records for the three domains, and configure all clients to look up there. Each domain-based DNS server also needs stubs for the other zones.
    So you mean keep the DNS and DHCP on all three domains? How would you configure the clients as i thought DHCP works on a first come first serve basis.

Also would i end up having on each server the main DNS for that domain plus the stub zone? so for example my main DNS plus 2 stubs, one for each of the other 2 schools?

Thanks
    Last edited by techie08; 28th October 2009 at 04:17 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by techie08 View Post
    So you mean keep the DNS and DHCP on all three domains? How would you configure the clients as i thought DHCP works on a first come first serve basis.
    No, have one server (or cluster of, if you want redundancy) to serve up DHCP addresses totally independently of your domains. Or if you prefer, nominate one domain to hold your DHCP mechanism.

Also would i end up having on each server the main DNS for that domain plus the stub zone? so for example my main DNS plus 2 stube for the other 2 schools?
    Yes. Each server that's going to process lookups needs stub zones to tell it where to find foreign domains. On the Internet that's done by the root servers, but they don't know about your private domains so you have to give your servers hints yourself.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    No, have one server (or cluster of, if you want redundancy) to serve up DHCP addresses totally independently of your domains. Or if you prefer, nominate one domain to hold your DHCP mechanism.

Yes. Each server that's going to process lookups needs stub zones to tell it where to find foreign domains. On the Internet that's done by the root servers, but they don't know about your private domains so you have to give your servers hints yourself.
    why should i use stub zones and not secondary zones? Im not sure what the difference is. Also do you mean root hints? if so would i creat one for each dns pointing to my DNS server?
    Last edited by techie08; 28th October 2009 at 04:34 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread